Masters in Neuroscience, potential pathway to PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikayla May

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently debating attending a master's of neuroscience in Europe and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I am interested in clinical neuropsychology but through a PhD interview/prospective student weekend, I learned hat clinical neuropsychology programs appear to neglect the neuroscience/biology aspect and focuses more on psychology, mental illness... psychotherapy. I was disappointed to see that less than 1/5th of the courses involved a biological basis of behavior. Also, the program was nearly $200,000 and I was hoping to get into a program somewhat funded. I want to be totally thrilled to attend a PhD program especially when it is that expensive. I know I could get more of the "neuro" experience through professor research and practicums, but I still feel like I would not have a good grasp on the neuroscience education even then.

Recently, I have been considering neuroscience rather than neuropsychology. I feel as though I am more partial to the science than the psychology. My only fear with straight neuroscience is that I will not have enough interaction with people.. part of the reason why I wanted to do neuropsychology was for the hospital aspect and being able to see patients. I am worried I will be unhappy in research/academia alone. (I have also considered neurology but it would require going back to my undergrad and taking pre-med classes and then the MCAT).

My thinking as of now is to attend either a neuroscience or a neuropsychology 1-2 year masters program in Europe. I have looked into Europe for many reasons including later deadlines, GRE not considered, traveling, cost, and neuro-specialties. I am hoping that through a master's I can figure out if neuroscience seems more fitting than neuropsychology before applying to full PhD programs again.

All of the responses I have gotten have been to NOT get a master's because it would be a "waste of time" and that what I really need is more research experience. This is confusing to me because all paid research positions in my state are given to those with master's degrees (I know this because I've applied to more than I'd like to admit). My question is how a master's degree in neuroscience would be valuable, what job opportunities have been found with the degree, and personal reasons for applying to a master's of neuroscience. I would appreciate any feedback and advice you have on the matter. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.