Marriage going into vet school: FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashley*76

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I have been seriously discussing marriage for the past few months. The likelihood he will propose before the end of the spring semester is 80%. My question is how would getting married affect FAFSA/financial aid going into vet school? Beneficial? Negative?
Other info:
Him: 26, military veteran. Currently going to undergrad on the G.I. bill, one semester behind me. Expected graduation date fall 2018. Has a part time job working 25-30 hours a week, plus school. No loans. Will be applying through the VA for disability.
Myself: 21, traditional student. Currently being claimed by my dad who makes approximately $50,000. Expected graduation date spring 2018. I have a part time job working 20 hours a week at a vet clinic, plus school. Total loans in my name around $20,000.

Neither of us make a large amount of money with our jobs, but we do make enough to pay bills and survive, especially since he is being paid to attend school. I'm trying to figure out how getting married within the next two to three years might affect my financial aid for vet school. Regardless, we plan to get married, but it would be nice to know if I need to start hoarding money or if he needs to cry when he realizes what my loan debt is going to be when I get out :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

My boyfriend and I have been seriously discussing marriage for the past few months. The likelihood he will propose before the end of the spring semester is 80%. My question is how would getting married affect FAFSA/financial aid going into vet school? Beneficial? Negative?
Other info:
Him: 26, military veteran. Currently going to undergrad on the G.I. bill, one semester behind me. Expected graduation date fall 2018. Has a part time job working 25-30 hours a week, plus school. No loans. Will be applying through the VA for disability.
Myself: 21, traditional student. Currently being claimed by my dad who makes approximately $50,000. Expected graduation date spring 2018. I have a part time job working 20 hours a week at a vet clinic, plus school. Total loans in my name around $20,000.

Neither of us make a large amount of money with our jobs, but we do make enough to pay bills and survive, especially since he is being paid to attend school. I'm trying to figure out how getting married within the next two to three years might affect my financial aid for vet school. Regardless, we plan to get married, but it would be nice to know if I need to start hoarding money or if he needs to cry when he realizes what my loan debt is going to be when I get out :laugh:

Financial aid for vet school isn't the same as financial aid for undergrad. The quality of your offer will very likely involve no scholarships and the same package of aid no matter how much income you have from being married.

A caution about vet school. The typical debt for someone graduating in 2021 from a typical program will be around $400,000. Schools understate their true cost of attendance by about 20% to 30%. Cost of attendance doesn't include loan origination fees, accrued interest, inflation, or tuition increases that will most certainly happen. Your income will be roughly $80,000 out of graduation. Almost any other job including part time work at a veterinary office making $12 an hour is a better financial decision than becoming a veterinarian.

If I didn't scare you off from veterinary medicine, then you're truly called to it and should go. I just don't think enough people know how bad your finances will be after going to vet school unless you have a huge family net worth that can help cover the bill. Being a vet tech is actually a better path financially. Just food for thought.

Financial aid for vet school isn't the same as financial aid for undergrad. The quality of your offer will very likely involve no scholarships and the same package of aid no matter how much income you have from being married.

A caution about vet school. The typical debt for someone graduating in 2021 from a typical program will be around $400,000. Schools understate their true cost of attendance by about 20% to 30%. Cost of attendance doesn't include loan origination fees, accrued interest, inflation, or tuition increases that will most certainly happen. Your income will be roughly $80,000 out of graduation. Almost any other job including part time work at a veterinary office making $12 an hour is a better financial decision than becoming a veterinarian.

If I didn't scare you off from veterinary medicine, then you're truly called to it and should go. I just don't think enough people know how bad your finances will be after going to vet school unless you have a huge family net worth that can help cover the bill. Being a vet tech is actually a better path financially. Just food for thought.

It's a little late to be scared away from vet school, but I appreciate your statement. I've spent my entire life so far working toward becoming a veterinarian, and I expect to have that much debt or maybe more.

Reactions: 1 user