Marmara University - Medical Program - Turkey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drewshaker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a friend who was looking into going to school in Turkey. He is Turkish-American and I was trying to convince him to try and attend school with me in Prague this fall. However, I don't know how I can be convincing. He seems to be try and convincing me but the idea blows my mind.

He wants to attend an English-medical program in Istanbul, Turkey. Everything is in English and you take Turkish language classes. I am trying to tell him that the lifestyle over there won't be up to par with the rest of Europe. What else can I do to convince him? Is it even smart to consider this choice in Turkey when he has others in Europe? Will he be able to come back to the USA? Please help me help him.

Here's the link to the school:
http://tip.marmara.edu.tr/english/medical_edu.html

I guess the only real plus I see is that he will save quite a bit of money.

Thanks very much,
Andrew

Members don't see this ad.

you've got a bit of a paternalistic attitude there... if he is happy with his decision to study in Turkey and has a passion for being in Turkey, especially being of Turkish descent, let him make his own choice. If it turns out to be a mistake (though there shouldn't be a reason for it to be so), then he'll learn from it and adapt it. how do you know, and who are you to be saying that the lifestyle in Turkey isn't as good as the rest of Europe? Different people take different experiences from the same situations.

The only advice I'd give is make sure that university is accredited with the WHO. Check www.ecfmg.org for assurance of recognition and certification.

Hi guys, i m currently a student in marmara medical school. feel free to ask me about my medical school and our life-style. By the way leorl, marmara medical school is accredited with WHO.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, Marmara Medical Faculty is not the only one in English in Istanbul.
I'm graduated from Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty English Program, it is a much older and better program than Marmara.

drewshaker said:
Hey guys,
I have a friend who was looking into going to school in Turkey. He is Turkish-American and I was trying to convince him to try and attend school with me in Prague this fall. However, I don't know how I can be convincing. He seems to be try and convincing me but the idea blows my mind.

He wants to attend an English-medical program in Istanbul, Turkey. Everything is in English and you take Turkish language classes. I am trying to tell him that the lifestyle over there won't be up to par with the rest of Europe. What else can I do to convince him? Is it even smart to consider this choice in Turkey when he has others in Europe? Will he be able to come back to the USA? Please help me help him.

Thanks very much,
Andrew

I see it this way:

Advantages:
-Cultural/Language familiarity
-Cost

Disadvantages:
-Greater difficulty in getting licensed/work in the EU, as long as Turkey remains outside.
-The English program is not accepted in places such as California.

Miklos said:
I see it this way:

Advantages:
-Cultural/Language familiarity
-Cost

Disadvantages:
-Greater difficulty in getting licensed/work in the EU, as long as Turkey remains outside.
-The English program is not accepted in places such as California.

I agree. Will not venture to comment on the quality of med educ. in Turkey, as I have no knowledge of it. But since the Czech Rep. is now a EU country their med. training have to comply with EU regulations, because Czech docs will have the right to practise anywhere within the European Union. That, to me, is a pretty strong incentive for picking Prague. In terms of US licensure, there should be no difference in theory. But since it's my feeling that an increasing number of US students goes to Prague, they're probably somewhat more turned into USMLE requirements.

PathOne said:
But since it's my feeling that an increasing number of US students goes to Prague, they're probably somewhat more turned into USMLE requirements.

well, doubtful...the vast majority of the students are from european countries, or other locales where the USMLE is not taught to. the class typically has less than 10% american/north american students, so it seems very unlikely that the curriculum will change anytime soon...that being said, the MATERIAL from the USMLE is covered, but not the FORMAT. so, if you are a smart student (i was not) studying for the usmle should be a relatively simple matter of adapting to the different format, instead of wasting time relearning principles.

True. Anyone taking a degree in Europe certainly shouldn't underestimate the fact that there's vast differences to the examination methodology in Europe and the US. Most European schools base examinations on written and oral examinations, not multiple-choice formats like USMLE, which can certainly make a difference.
However, it is my feeling that knowledge levels of a European and US MD-grad are similar, although some European schools still have more emphasis on basic science and less on clinicals (partly because most European degrees are integrated 6-7 year progs. w/o previous science requirements) -- tho' this obviously is less so for the new 4-yr programs that certain European schools are developing.

to the users insula and fahirs.
Are you turkish nationals? And if not did you have to do do the OSYM YOS etc? How was it? It is proving very difficult to get information on the processs and I saw that there are very few foreigners accepeted to the university of istanbul and cerrahpasa medical faculties. I did not look at the Marmara stats in the 2002/3 census I found. Anyway thanks in advance if you have info

drewshaker said:
Hey guys,

Thanks very much,
Andrew

The only thing I can add to what has already being said, is that newsweek recently claimed Turky as "the best place to be a young person". The main arguments of the article were about the lifestyle in Istanbul.
I haven't been there, but don't fall in the trap to think quality of life is the same with the rest of Turkey. My parents were there a couple of years ago, and they're still talking about how beautiful everything was.
Now, about the quality of education, you can't commend on something you don't know about. But the fact that you don't know about it would raise some concern about its' quality, at least in my opinion.

Hi, guys. I posted about this elsewhere but you guys seem to know about this stuff so I'll ask you:

Are there American docs teaching at the English-language med schools in Prague and Turkey? I'm a US-trained doctor who wants to live abroad (this George Bush reign of terror - especially the immminent sequel - isn't for me), ideally in a lovely city like Prague or Istanbul.

I'm sure the pay would be lower than if I stayed in the States and practiced here, but if the opportunities exist abroad, I'd take off in a second.

I'm thirty years old and have no formal teaching experience, but perhaps an assistant faculty position in my specialty, Emergency Medicine, which is up and coming in Europe, could be in the offing.

Just a wild thought, but something worth looking into, I hope. What do you guys think?

Hornet871 said:
Hi, guys. I posted about this elsewhere but you guys seem to know about this stuff so I'll ask you:

Are there American docs teaching at the English-language med schools in Prague and Turkey? I'm a US-trained doctor who wants to live abroad (this George Bush reign of terror - especially the immminent sequel - isn't for me), ideally in a lovely city like Prague or Istanbul.

I'm sure the pay would be lower than if I stayed in the States and practiced here, but if the opportunities exist abroad, I'd take off in a second.

I'm thirty years old and have no formal teaching experience, but perhaps an assistant faculty position in my specialty, Emergency Medicine, which is up and coming in Europe, could be in the offing.

Just a wild thought, but something worth looking into, I hope. What do you guys think?

Hey there dude,
You're such a loser and I bet the only reason that you want to leave the USA and teach abroad is because you are in fact the worst doctor ever and you don't want to come to grips with the fact that you suck. If you want to practice/teach in Istanbul then why don't you just go to Baghdad medical university and teach there you loser.

Bush rocks and if I had it my way I would imprison you for treason,
Doc

Hornet871 said:

re: baddoctorguy - Ignore him. And when I find out what's happened to the report forum abuse button, I'll do just that.

In the meanwhile...

The main thing you have to look at is language. Wherever you go, if you intend to practice, you will need to have a certain amount of fluency in the lingo.

That said, it's probably best to look at countries where there are currently shortages of doctors. I know France, UK (though of course with Tony Blair around...!) and the Netherlands are short in most things. Switzerland is short of rural GPs. Not sure of other EU countries.

I'm know very little on the Emergency Medicine/A&E Medicine front, and I know nothing about Czech Repub/Turkey.

Just pondering where the best place to get information would be...

*Thinking*

Members don't see this ad :)
I am Feroz Iqbal. I really appreciate your help. I had actually a lot of questions regarding medical school at both Istanbul Universitesti, Cerrahpasa Tip Fakltesi and Marmara Universite. I hope that it does not conflict with your schedule.

Here is my background so you can get idea of my situation.

I was born and raised in United States and want to pursue medical school in Turkey in their institute. I have a Bachelors of Science Degree from San Jose State University in Business Administration: Finance, and have completed a few pre medical classes.

Can you please ask Istanbul and Marmara:

The Foreign Entrance Exam called YOS Exam and is only held once a year on April 16th, 2006. I have missed the exam, due to the Turkish Consulate giving me the wrong information. The next exam will be next year in April 2007. I wish to attend the schools this year.

I want to enroll for this fall term and what can I do to enter the medical school?
What are the requirements?

What can I do to bypass the YOS exam test?

Can I take another entrance exam at their university?

What are the terms and conditions to get into the medical school?

Will my degree help me get admission into the medical program?

When is the first day of Instruction? I was told that Marmara starts June 9th. If marmara starts this june 9th, when is the semester over?

Are they semester system or a quarter system?

When are the vacation breaks?

And finally, What is the procedure? What steps do we take?

Thank you so much. I actually booked a ticket to head out to Turkey June 15th 2006, but I'd rather save the trouble of going out there. I have tried to contact these schools, but they do not respond. Thank you very much.

Feroz

Im a medical student in Britian, but i have a cousin who goes to Marmara University for medicine. Firstly, its regarded as quite a high standard course in turkey, second its quite hard to get into. If you are of turkish origin i assume you will sit the turkish national entrance exams, well good luck then, you really have to be in the very top percentage to enter. If you get in, then you should know this course puts a lot of emphasis on basic sciences, like most courses in turkey do, so expect the first few years to be quite grilling. I dont know worldwide how its viewed, but within turkey that medical degree is quite respected. If you are looking for status, you are best of at Hatcetepe university, which is also in english, but that is really the top brass who get in, and its a very limited intake, youre entrance examinations will have to be really outstanding, its not easy at all for someone who hasnt studied in the turkish lyceum system. Well good luck, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

fahirs said:
Hi guys, i m currently a student in marmara medical school. feel free to ask me about my medical school and our life-style. By the way leorl, marmara medical school is accredited with WHO.

dear fahirs, I'm planning to come to marmara for an erasmus on the next year: I will follow a semester and then come back to my home country (italy). My main goal is improving my english and marmara is the only place offering a course entirely held in english. However I wonder if English is widely spoken outside university, in the everyday life. Do you think I could improve my language skills? And last but non least, what about students life in marmara? Thanks in advance.
Andrea

Hi,

I'm graduated from one of the medical faculty in Istanbul / Turkey. Istanbul Bilim university is private university and offers English medical program. I'm not sure but it's probably ~12$ per year.

The Turkish University system is totally different. For Turkish students, there is a one big exam(OSS) which is only held once a year that araoun 1.2 MILLION students attend. Everybod makes ~20 choice after exam and enrollment starts with the first person. IE
Consider that every department has only one available free poısition for students:

choices of the student with 1st rank on OSS
1 Bogazici University Industrial engineering
2 Marmara University medical faculty
3 Istanbul University medical faculty
4 ...

choices of the student with 2nd rank on OSS
4 ...

choices of the student with 3rd rank on OSS
1 Marmara University medical faculty
2 Istanbul University medical faculty
3 Marmara University Computer Engineering
4 ...

student with 1st rank goes to Bogazici University Industrial engineering, 2nd one goes to its 2nd choice(Marmara University medical faculty
) because Bogazici University Industrial engineering was closed by student with 1st rank. 3rd one goes to it's 2nd choice (Istanbul University medical faculty) since Marmara University medical faculty was closed by student with 2nd rank. As you see, there is no effect of University on student select. It's also same in YOS and there is "no" way to bypass it.

If you're planning to study in Turkey, why dont you consider to learn Turkish as well, since you'll be here for 6 long years.

If you want to talk, dont hesitate to contact with me via e-mail, msn ([email protected]) etc.

Very best wishes

Hi all,

I am a New Zealand student currently studying 1st year Biomedical Science.
I would like to apply to Marmara and Cerrahpasa Tip. I was wondering what chances do I stand? i.e.
What are the requirements for entry? A+/A-/B+?
And secondly, is there any exam for entry? I am not a Turkish national and thus considered at an international applicant.

Many thanks for you help!

hi dear fahirs, i'm a GP from iran.i'm interested to study residency courses in turkey.can u tell me the name of the best medical university in turkey?

hey i am an indian studying M.D general medicine in romania. i m in my final year n i would like to do my internship n my residency in turkey. can anyone tell how i can apply for that.... do i have to learn turkish language for that... i wuld be thankful for ur reply.....

Hello. Im an international student currently studying medicine at akdeniz university, im in my 2nd year and i would like to transfer to marmara unniversity. What are the requirements needed?

Guys, i need tips for migrating to London for work permit. i consulted many people here in India but maximum are giving me advise to join some private colleges & do part time job. but i am not much sure about this method. i guess, this is the right platform to discuss & find out best one for me. i searched a lot on internet too but not finding much on this, There are lots of sites offering packages for the same but i want to know more about weather, people, stay, culture, etc. i got few sites like - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/minub...re_b_4315349.html?ir=India&adsSiteOverride=in http://www.lonelyplanet.com/adventu...travel/content/travel-tips-and-articles/77750 http://www.iexplore.com/activity-guides/extreme-sports/top-10-europe http://www.microburbs.com.au/ Still looking further for a better information about the region. Regards !

Guys, i need tips for migrating to London for work permit. i consulted many people here in India but maximum are giving me advise to join some private colleges & do part time job. but i am not much sure about this method. i guess, this is the right platform to discuss & find out best one for me. i searched a lot on internet too but not finding much on this, There are lots of sites offering packages for the same but i want to know more about weather, people, stay, culture, etc. i got few sites like - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/minub...re_b_4315349.html?ir=India&adsSiteOverride=in http://www.lonelyplanet.com/adventu...travel/content/travel-tips-and-articles/77750 http://www.iexplore.com/activity-guides/extreme-sports/top-10-europe http://www.microburbs.com.au/ Still looking further for a better information about the region. Regards !
any suggestions on my migration.. till date... i just got one site having excellent information of the country - www.microburbs.com.au/ plz suggest some more....! Regards !

Hi,

I'm graduated from one of the medical faculty in Istanbul / Turkey. Istanbul Bilim university is private university and offers English medical program. I'm not sure but it's probably ~12$ per year.

The Turkish University system is totally different. For Turkish students, there is a one big exam(OSS) which is only held once a year that araoun 1.2 MILLION students attend. Everybod makes ~20 choice after exam and enrollment starts with the first person. IE
Consider that every department has only one available free poısition for students:

choices of the student with 1st rank on OSS
4 ...

choices of the student with 2nd rank on OSS
4 ...

choices of the student with 3rd rank on OSS
1 Marmara University medical faculty
2 Istanbul University medical faculty
3 Marmara University Computer Engineering
4 ...

student with 1st rank goes to Bogazici University Industrial engineering, 2nd one goes to its 2nd choice(Marmara University medical faculty
) because Bogazici University Industrial engineering was closed by student with 1st rank. 3rd one goes to it's 2nd choice (Istanbul University medical faculty) since Marmara University medical faculty was closed by student with 2nd rank. As you see, there is no effect of University on student select. It's also same in YOS and there is "no" way to bypass it.

If you're planning to study in Turkey, why dont you consider to learn Turkish as well, since you'll be here for 6 long years.

If you want to talk, dont hesitate to contact with me via e-mail, msn ([email protected]) etc.

Very best wishes
Hi i find you well informed thanks for your important information but I really hope you that you can help i am a pre-med student i am close to take a bachelor certificate in biology (after 3 years of studying) i have now different choices : do the MCAT and continue medicine here or applying to study medicine in turkey but in ENGLISH . So what are the university i can apply and take acceptance plus what should i do and what exams are required if needed
By the way I find that your email is not valid ?! Thanks