Malpractice Insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvely

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you guys ever heard of Optometric Protector Plan for malpractice insurance? I currently have AOA's coverage but OPP's quote is nearly half of what I pay now

Members don't see this ad.

I have OPP. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time if you need to change mailing or practice address, because they'll need to rewrite your policy, and they're slow. Also, make sure you're getting what you seek. It costs more to have general business liability tacked onto a professional liability policy.

Have had OPP two separate times. Currently have it now. Yes, it's good. I have no problems with changes, like 20DOC20 has mentioned. Think that depends greatly on who your broker is. Mine get's it done very quickly. As with any insurance, like 20DOC20 mentioned, make sure you get what you need. But yes, it's WAY cheaper than AOAs plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
They assigned me a new broker after mine left (?) and she acted like I had ruined her week by asking for an address change. But otherwise, I would still recommend them because you can't beat their price. Oh, stay away from Zurich.

Also wanted to add: If you plan on working at other locations that are administered by another doctor, make sure you have "moonlighting" coverage. I think OPP has this built in, but you might want to ask. This is not always included with other plans I've had.