Malignant residency/fellowship program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone feel like they are part of a malignant residency or fellowship program? Please share your stories and examples and how you dealt with it. :dead:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
54151754.jpg

People might be more willing to share if the OP gave his own example or explained why he was asking, like maybe he's heading for a program with a malignant rep.

For a non-IM example, both the OB Gyn and Surgery programs at my home school were known to be malignant and students dreaded them. Residents and attendings regularly communicated with each other with shouting matches and passive-aggressive undercutting. Surgery M&M was probably the absolute nadir of that, with attendings reaming every decision the presenting resident made. I mostly put my head down, did what they asked, and tried not to question anything. My evals were very average on both services, but I avoided any truly nasty encounters. Of course, the advantage of being a student is that you are only with one team for a month at most before you are gone, and you have no real obligation to interact with them again after that.

Reactions: 1 user
it's easier to run across these tales of woe in other threads

this one just sort of called ppl out to come forth and put ppl on the spot, in other threads about termination/resigning/malingnant programs/misery you can find scattered experiences

Anyone feel like they are part of a malignant residency or fellowship program? Please share your stories and examples and how you dealt with it. :dead:
White Memorial medical center in downtown Los Angeles. Every year 2/5 residents are forced to resign. They terminate a resident sent after retaliation for being a wistlblower of program director sexual harrssment. Only 4-5 hours between duty hours post call. No faculty supervision at night. One PGY2 and intern are responsible for entire hospital including ICU after 9pm. They falsified residents evaluations and poor survay before sending to ACGME. Faculty encourage residents to follow their way of practicing medicine inistead of evidence base , guideline base practice. They encourage upcoading and unnnesssry test and hospital stay which is a Medicare fraud. Do not apply to White Memorial medical center

Be careful about Sacred Heart Teaching Hospital in San DiFrangeles. I've heard that their Chief of Medicine was awful and probably had Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Maybe a few years ago he retired, I can't remember. Would probably take a few years to tell the whole story of what went down.

Reactions: 2 users

Malignant in what sense? Workload? There probably isn't a whole lot you can do about that unless there is a duty hours violation. Treatment of residents/fellows? Depends on what is being done. Always remember that laws and regulations exist for a reason, nobody is above them, no matter how prestigious their position or how renowned they may be in their field.