Making Techs Cry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I don't know if I am looking for commiseration or just posting this for entertainment value, but I had something crazy happen today at work. We were busy and had a bunch of prescriptions that needed to be filled STAT. Two of my techs were in a corner chatting so I went over and told them to please concentrate on filling the STATs. I didn't think I was rude or condescending or mean/unprofessional in any way, I just wanted them to focus on work. Immediately one of them starts making excuses for why she is chatting and I reply that it's fine, I just need everyone to focus on getting the STATs out of the way. She went back to work and I considered the matter closed. No big deal, we've all been there, right? I know I have had some bosses tell me to get back to work and I never thought twice about it. :shrug:

So later in the day when our Pharmacy Director comes in she proceeds to go to her IN TEARS about how she doesn't feel like she can do anything right and how I make her feel unappreciated, etc etc. I actually thought that me and this tech get along great and as far as I know this is the only issue she has ever had with me. And not to get too petty, but I am by far one of the most helpful pharmacists at work, I go way out of my way to treat the techs well, buy them pizza, help them put drugs back on the shelf, etc etc. All I could think was, is this grown ass woman for real right now?!

Anyway maybe I need to start a blog but I figured someone here might get a kick out of this or think to themselves "Well at least I am not the only one". LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
So I don't know if I am looking for commiseration or just posting this for entertainment value, but I had something crazy happen today at work. We were busy and had a bunch of prescriptions that needed to be filled STAT. Two of my techs were in a corner chatting so I went over and told them to please concentrate on filling the STATs. I didn't think I was rude or condescending or mean/unprofessional in any way, I just wanted them to focus on work. Immediately one of them starts making excuses for why she is chatting and I reply that it's fine, I just need everyone to focus on getting the STATs out of the way. She went back to work and I considered the matter closed. No big deal, we've all been there, right? I know I have had some bosses tell me to get back to work and I never thought twice about it. :shrug:

So later in the day when our Pharmacy Director comes in she proceeds to go to her IN TEARS about how she doesn't feel like she can do anything right and how I make her feel unappreciated, etc etc. I actually thought that me and this tech get along great and as far as I know this is the only issue she has ever had with me. And not to get too petty, but I am by far one of the most helpful pharmacists at work, I go way out of my way to treat the techs well, buy them pizza, help them put drugs back on the shelf, etc etc. All I could think was, is this grown ass woman for real right now?!

Anyway maybe I need to start a blog but I figured someone here might get a kick out of this or think to themselves "Well at least I am not the only one". LOL
Damn something wrong in the techs daily life at home? I know it's extremely rough if the pharmacist is mean (as in it makes life a living hell), but seems you are nice. So this is probably tech lashing out due to home life or something.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who knows
Maybe she bottled up some hidden emotions over the years of being "unappreciated".
Could be not in your case but her case? But that can be very subjective. Maybe she's really needy person and needs compliments often.
Don't know what to tell y'all.
But Free Pizza, food goes in my tummy would make me feel appreciated!
I don't know what that tech is thinking about.

Its because you too nice then when ask them to help they get mad. Lot of technicians get hurt feelings, maybe because they know our salary is like 5-6X

This is why I work by myself, in the middle of the night.

The worst 2 hours of my overnight shifts are 9-11 pm, with techs LOL

Reactions: 1 user

Please be careful, she knows what's she's doing by making a public display of psuedohumiliation and I have seen this sort of thing escalate very quickly with consequences for the "abuser". I wouldn't blow that off, and I would explain this to the Pharmacy Director your side of the story and that was not intentional. That aside, this should probably make you think about how you judge people at work. Not to make you more cynical, but the difference between our customers and ourselves isn't as large a gap as we would like to believe.

I do think and agree with the above is that she could be projecting other issues as well and you just happen to be the literal fall guy for it.

Reactions: 11 users
I have made RPh's cry but never a tech - but agree with most of the above -
1. something going on at home?
2. She is manipulating you to try to set you up for something in the future or to cover their own arse
3. She is just a weak soul (trust me, I have seen plenty of them)

This used to happen all the time at my old store. The drama was unbearable! I'm in a new job with much better techs generally (there's a bigger screening process where I work now) and this literally never happens there. It's probably the tech and/or workplace.

Techs have to be the most emotional people on earth next to some of us pharmacists. Always complaning. You didn't do anything wrong. Who cares whats going on at home. Thats your home. Go deal with that crap there. It's a business. I don't see anything you did wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
Techs have to be the most emotional people on earth next to some of us pharmacists. Always complaning. You didn't do anything wrong. Who cares whats going on at home. Thats your home. Go deal with that crap there. It's a business. I don't see anything you did wrong.
I wouldn't go that far, pretty sure some of my fellow Rph's attract more drama than anybody I know, Every group of people has the emotional messes

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't go that far, pretty sure some of my fellow Rph's attract more drama than anybody I know, Every group of people has the emotional messes
It's always something going on. All have 2-3 kids, no partner and getting evicted. At least every store has a couple of these techs.

Life can be really hard sometimes, and people can be broken down by it. It doesn't sound like it's really your fault or that you did anything that would warrant that reaction. If you didn't mean for things to be taken that way, it might be helpful to just tell her that you didn't mean for things to be taken like that. Almost anything can be fixed by people being kind, generous, and direct.

Last week one of our especially difficult customers came in. She wanted a refund on her last months temazepam because we charged her cash. I explained her insurance only covers 90 days per year and it was charged correctly. She throws a huge fit, still demands a refund, etc.

Long story short, I apologized for the confusion 10x but gently reiterated we can't give her a refund. She accused me of scamming her (this is someone I've special ordered, found mfr coupons for multiple times, etc) and stormed out.

I kept my composure with the customer but was pissed after in the back. Newish tech gets on the phone to call the lady's insurance and I told her to hang up the phone because it would do no good/I am done bending over backwards for that customer in an annoyed tone.

The following week my full time tech tells me the new tech threw me under the bus. Told my veteran floater pharmacist I flipped out on a sweet old lady then yelled at her, causing her to cry (she didn't cry or react in the pharmacy). Luckily the other tech stuck up for me, and the floater joked that customer is anything but sweet and there's no crying in pharmacy.

What can ya do sometimes.

Reactions: 7 users
This is why I work by myself, in the middle of the night.

God how I miss the days of just coming in and doing my job (well).

Its because you too nice then when ask them to help they get mad.

This thought crossed my mind. I suspect the techs in general aren't used to being directed/managed and then add in the fact that the vast majority of the time I am in the trenches with them, helping them, they probably think of me more as one of them. So when I step out of that role and give direction perhaps it feels like a slap in the face. OTOH, I think I am just making excuses for her. ;)

Please be careful, <snip>.

Your comments are well taken, and indeed I have already thought of that. I did share my side of things with the PD and as far as I can tell he doesn't think I have done anything wrong. If her goal was to get me to back off, mission accomplished, I won't be trying to manage her again without at least a pharmacist or greater witness. In other words, almost any time I would have to directer her, the PIC or PD can do it.

Maybe it's just that time of the month.

Eh, she is probably past her change so not likely.

I have made RPh's cry but never a tech - but agree with most of the above -
1. something going on at home?
2. She is manipulating you to try to set you up for something in the future or to cover their own arse
3. She is just a weak soul (trust me, I have seen plenty of them)

Could easily be a mix of these things in addition to what I described above. On an unrelated topic, you sure seem to enjoy ragging on RPh's. What have you done to make them cry?

This used to happen all the time at my old store. The drama was unbearable! I'm in a new job with much better techs generally (there's a bigger screening process where I work now) and this literally never happens there. It's probably the tech and/or workplace.

To be honest the drama does seem higher outside of retail, although I worked at plenty of stores that had drama. I bet we have discussed this before but my theory is the Law of Conservation of Drama. The less external drama there is (slow store, settings outside retail, etc) the more internal drama. Of course it can be personality driven as well. This just struck me as a particularly egregious case, way above and beyond what most people would consider just 'drama'. lol

Life can be really hard sometimes, and people can be broken down by it. It doesn't sound like it's really your fault or that you did anything that would warrant that reaction. If you didn't mean for things to be taken that way, it might be helpful to just tell her that you didn't mean for things to be taken like that. Almost anything can be fixed by people being kind, generous, and direct.

I appreciate the sentiment here, but I have no plans to ever address this with her, unless the PD decides to escalate this to a witnessed sit down meeting in the manager's office. I also don't know exactly what I would say, I could easily make it worse if it comes across like I am causing her of doing something wrong by going to the boss. I highly doubt it will come to that, I think she made her point and has moved on. Oddly enough I had considered the matter totally closed before the crying and wasn't even going to mention it to the director. After all, who hasn't been caught being idol every now and then? It's really not a big deal (to me) to be reminded/refocused back to work. :shrug:

Lmao. Nice.

I learned that the most effective way to manage for me is targeted Shock & Awe™

Join a new team.
Be super nice. Help with all tech duties.
The minute one of them deliberately oversteps their bounds because they think they can take advantage of the easy RPh, rain down hellfire and Brimstone.

I've made at least 4 people cry, and they all deserved it

Join a new team.
Be super nice. Help with all tech duties.

Ackbar-its-a-trap.gif

I've learned that people in general will get away with as much as they can. Nobody said anything about me being 5 minutes late, so 10 minutes can't be a big deal either right? If I make myself look busy will the pharmacist go to the register? Doesn't mean they are bad people or employees, and moral is probably the most important factor in managing techs, but you have to be their manager before you can be their friend.

Reactions: 2 users
The following week my full time tech tells me the new tech threw me under the bus. Told my veteran floater pharmacist I flipped out on a sweet old lady then yelled at her, causing her to cry (she didn't cry or react in the pharmacy). Luckily the other tech stuck up for me, and the floater joked that customer is anything but sweet and there's no crying in pharmacy.

What can ya do sometimes.

At least you know you have to get rid of this one

Welcome to the wonderful world of pharmacy. You should become a pharmacy manager and see how often techs will complain to you, that will make you realize you actually have it easy being a staff.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pharmacy. You should become a pharmacy manager and see how often techs will complain to you, that will make you realize you actually have it easy being a staff.

:lol I'm pretty sure most staff realize how easy they have it next to the manager. That is why when there is a manager opening, and the staff is asked for a volunteer, the oldtimers all immediately take 2 steps back! :lol

As to the OP's issue...completely inappropriate behavior on the tech's part. I can understand getting teary-eyed if she was really having a bad day, but then to go an complain to the manager about her self-esteem issues being aggravated by you??? Maybe the manager said something to her recently, so now she thinks everyone is out to get her? I would watch my back with her (and next time you order pizza, don't get the toppings she likes!)

I never had anything this extreme when I was PIC. I do know how much easier I have it now though believe me! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

I never had anything this extreme when I was PIC. I do know how much easier I have it now though believe me! LOL

Owl, lord is correct. Be extremely careful because this can quickly escalate to where you might lose your job.

Most "PICs" at CVS are not properly equipped to be managers and are thrown into the spot. There is a huge land mine where "you don't know" and will only know you made a mistake when HR is up your ass. It's just many of them survived without an incident.

From your posts, my advice is STOP trying to be friends with your techs. That is the easiest way for a tech to document "favoritism" or discrimination by age, sex, or race.

Buying lunch for weekend crew? Don't.

A tech coming in late? Document it because another tech can use that against you later on if you dont.

It's nice for you to help techs out with their duties but don't expect any credit from it. That is leadership by example and expected.

In the hospital setting where techs get paid more, a lot of them are smarter and knows how to work the system. Plus, hospital systems are more afraid of law suits or people being unionized if they are not in a union. Watch where you tread because in today's world, pharmacists are replaceable. Techs for some reasons are not.

Reactions: 4 users
Owl, lord is correct. Be extremely careful because this can quickly escalate to where you might lose your job.

Most "PICs" at CVS are not properly equipped to be managers and are thrown into the spot. There is a huge land mine where "you don't know" and will only know you made a mistake when HR is up your ass. It's just many of them survived without an incident.

From your posts, my advice is STOP trying to be friends with your techs. That is the easiest way for a tech to document "favoritism" or discrimination by age, sex, or race.

A tech coming in late? Document it because another tech can use that against you later on if you dont.

It's nice for you to help techs out with their duties but don't expect any credit from it. That is leadership by example and expected.

In the hospital setting where techs get paid more, a lot of them are smarter and knows how to work the system. Plus, hospital systems are more afraid of law suits or people being unionized if they are not in a union. Watch where you tread because in today's world, pharmacists are replaceable. Techs for some reasons are not.

THIS +1
One of the most important parts of managing is hiring only coach-able techs. So many techs do not take direction well, but this should be able to root out in a 5 minute job interview.

Do not make friends or try to be too nice at your job especially with women... I once had a black female colleague I used to drop off at the train station after work accuse me of making passes at her... I never knew what was going on until I heard about it from other co-workers and confronted her about it.. She apologised and said she had to say something to defend herself when people thought there was something going on between us... I just could not believe my ears. I threatened to report her to HR but she begged me ..She lied/slept her way to becoming a supervisor and ending ended up getting almost everyone fired....

Listen to this guy. Don't get too close to the techs. You are their supervisors whether you are a manager, PIC, or staff pharmacist. Buying them food doesn't mean jack because they already know you are just trying to kiss up to them. Most techs will listen to you only if they think you are moving up the corporate ladder. That is what you need to make them think.

I know this one PIC who was like a sister to one of the technicians. This technician was always bad mouthing the staff pharmacist and apparently this PIC likes that. Guess what happened? This tech was stealing money from the cash cashier. When corporate wanted to confront her, she left and never came back. Who knows what else she was stealing. The PIC, by law, is required to report this to the board of pharmacy. I am not sure if she did. If she didn't, she would get in trouble with the board.

Some techs are really good at this...they know how to play pharmacist against another pharmacist and we all know how much pharmacists like bad mouth each other

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Do not make friends or try to be too nice at your job especially with women... I once had a black female colleague I used to drop off at the train station after work accuse me of making passes at her... I never knew what was going on until I heard about it from other co-workers and confronted her about it.. She apologised and said she had to say something to defend herself when people thought there was something going on between us... I just could not believe my ears. I threatened to report her to HR but she begged me ..She lied/slept her way to becoming a supervisor and ending ended up getting almost everyone fired....

Not sure why you felt the need to mention that she was a black female.

That's because pharmacists, usually are mostly uniform in quality from both a social and professional standpoint.
Techs, however, can vary GREATLY from: literally-about-to-be-accepted-to-pharm/med-school
to
has-probably-stabbed-someone-in-a-bar

Thus, if you can trap a smart, hard working person into a tech job, that's like gold

Last edited:
Forgot to say the tech I made cry is white. I can't believe I forgot to include such an important detail!

In the interest of full disclosure:
Every 4 times I've made techs cry, I have been a large male AMHS of Mexican descent from the Western Mountainous region, with ~70% European roots most likely in the Basque region of the Iberian peninsula.

Last edited:
God how I miss the days of just coming in and doing my job (well).

This thought crossed my mind. I suspect the techs in general aren't used to being directed/managed and then add in the fact that the vast majority of the time I am in the trenches with them, helping them, they probably think of me more as one of them. So when I step out of that role and give direction perhaps it feels like a slap in the face. OTOH, I think I am just making excuses for her. ;)

Your comments are well taken, and indeed I have already thought of that. I did share my side of things with the PD and as far as I can tell he doesn't think I have done anything wrong. If her goal was to get me to back off, mission accomplished, I won't be trying to manage her again without at least a pharmacist or greater witness. In other words, almost any time I would have to directer her, the PIC or PD can do it.

Eh, she is probably past her change so not likely.

Could easily be a mix of these things in addition to what I described above. On an unrelated topic, you sure seem to enjoy ragging on RPh's. What have you done to make them cry?

To be honest the drama does seem higher outside of retail, although I worked at plenty of stores that had drama. I bet we have discussed this before but my theory is the Law of Conservation of Drama. The less external drama there is (slow store, settings outside retail, etc) the more internal drama. Of course it can be personality driven as well. This just struck me as a particularly egregious case, way above and beyond what most people would consider just 'drama'. lol

I find it a little bizarre that you're going to back off of her because she cried to the director. I mean, what are you going to do the next time she's chatting away when there's a boatload of STATs to take care of? Do them yourself while she yaps on about x, y and z? Maybe you should be a little more conscientious about your tone in the future (think delivery over what you're overtly saying) as she may have actually taken offense. But crying to the boss seems calculated and a way to "stick it to you". You seem super sweet and I'd love to work under you - the thing is, when workplace relationships become too friendly, then I think we run into problems (as has been mentioned above).

If I can offer an example, my former boss (also a family friend) once flipped out on me when I used to work as a tech (pre-pharmacy school) at his pharmacy. I didn't think much of it - just a boss trying to get **** done. It wasn't even that bad - it was just a "Romz, I can't help you right now - I'm too busy, figure it out". No problem. But the other techs were SHOOK and pulled me aside to ask if I was alright. While I saw this man as a family friend, I also respected the boundary that he was my employer, and we didn't have much of an interpersonal relationship apart from pleasant banter. But for the techs, he was the super nice pharmacist who would bend over backwards to make his team happy. So it's not surprising to hear them so upset when he raised his voice. Me thinks this is what's happening to you, with a slight dose (haha) of power struggle.

I find it a little bizarre that you're going to back off of her because she cried to the director. I mean, what are you going to do the next time she's chatting away when there's a boatload of STATs to take care of? Do them yourself while she yaps on about x, y and z?

It's not bizarre. Why would invite more drama on myself or put myself at risk of harassment charges? Like many have said here, she might very well know what she is doing and is laying ground work for any future disputes. I don't really think that is what she did, but you never know.

As for next time, I will just wait around until she feels like working or let another pharmacist address it. If it really becomes a problem I will complain to the director or PIC and let them figure out how to handle it.

As for your example, yeah, that is what I would consider normal behavior. Most people just suck it up and do what they are told, they don't break down and cry.

It's not bizarre. Why would invite more drama on myself or put myself at risk of harassment charges? Like many have said here, she might very well know what she is doing and is laying ground work for any future disputes. I don't really think that is what she did, but you never know.

As for next time, I will just wait around until she feels like working or let another pharmacist address it. If it really becomes a problem I will complain to the director or PIC and let them figure out how to handle it.

As for your example, yeah, that is what I would consider normal behavior. Most people just suck it up and do what they are told, they don't break down and cry.

Ugh it really is a delicate situation. For the harassment charges to hold any water, she would need eye witnesses to the abuse. If you think the other techs would rally around her cause, especially after you've been so good to them, then by all means steer clear. I think I just take issue with the fact that a working pharmacist can't respectfully delegate his team out of fear of what his co-workers could do to him. Doesn't sit well with me, but I completely empathize with your point. Maybe I should have used a word like unsettling instead of bizarre.

the most efficient pharmacies I have worked at all had one thing in common... the managers at those pharmacies all had a little bit mean streak to them and was all very fast... I say a little bit because you can't always be an ahole lol

thefuturepharmd trying to figure out how to spin this so they don't look ridiculous:

tenor.gif

I wasn't trying to spin anything any such way. I'm a black female myself and to say she was a black female insinuates that all of us can't be trusted. I just felt like they were being messy by adding that detail, that's all.

Forgot to say the tech I made cry is white. I can't believe I forgot to include such an important detail!

Exactly, it's irrelevant. Not sure why the other poster felt the need to bring in race.

I wasn't trying to spin anything any such way. I'm a black female myself and to say she was a black female insinuates that all of us can't be trusted. I just felt like they were being messy by adding that detail, that's all.
I feel like he was pretty crystal clear with what he was saying.
He was pretty clearly saying that males should be cautious in dealing with female coworkers because of a rare female privilege when it comes to sexual harassment & HR issues.

There have been coworkers that I wouldn't dare go somewhere alone with.

Allow me to suggest that you only arrived at that conclusion because you weren't expecting the poster to be a PoC.
The fact that you haven't responded to their post seems to be prima facie evidence that you weren't expecting that. An insinuation and an inference are two very different things.

Let's put this in a vacuum where pre existing tensions and social trauma don't cause illogical interpretations of benign descriptors:
Person A.
"You should be careful with stray domesticated animals since they can still be mean.
I was once bitten by atabby cat"
Person B.
"How dare you say all tabby cats are dangerous! My tabby cat is sweet and would never bite anyone"

I agree with you that it's an unnecessary detail, but disagree that there's a malicious intent or insinuation.

For me, I realized long ago that I can't let the ugliness and hatred in the world poison how I interpret things.

Not trying to antagonize you, and this is the last post I'll make addressing the subject.

That explains it all.

Seriously though, if you back off too much, at some point you will be enabling her bad behavior. Not every issue needs to be pushed, but not pushing any issues will contribute to her special snowflake status.

My husband once had a teenage employee claim he was harassing her after he told her she needed to button her top shirt button. She had been unbuttoning to show cleavage in an effort to get tips. She fessed up to the whole thing being payback, but now he is paranoid about harassment claims. He later had an employee coming in to work in a store he managed wearing skin tight and nearly see thru leggings sans underwear. Apparently you could see everything. This store had no dress code, people who worked there were always showing each other their private piercings and discussing sex and stuff. No one was a prude. It was in a rough area of town with some sketchy people and the employees sometimes worked alone. Still, he was too chicken**** to say anything. He made the owners wife talk to her when she came to town like 10 days later. It irritated me because I felt like his responsibility was to manage and protect his employees, not wait 10 days for someone else to deal. Meanwhile all the registered sex offenders were ogling this girl. My point is, some things you can't let go out of a sense of fear. If you are not willing to manage your employees, it then becomes a problem with your behavior, not just theirs. My perspective, anyway.

Do not make friends or try to be too nice at your job especially with women... I once had a female colleague I used to drop off at the train station after work accuse me of making passes at her... I never knew what was going on until I heard about it from other co-workers and confronted her about it.. She apologised and said she had to say something to defend herself when people thought there was something going on between us... I just could not believe my ears. I threatened to report her to HR but she begged me ..She lied/slept her way to becoming a supervisor and ending ended up getting almost everyone fired....
Ok... I change it guys/gals.

But one has to admit adding the race of the individual in question was unnecessary...

Thus, if you can trap a smart, hard working person into a tech job, that's like gold

No kidding. The best techs are usually young, smart, and motivated. You'll get them for a few years until they move on to something better.