Maiden & Married Name...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wanted my diploma in my maiden name but to be called in practice by my married name... let's just say my name rhymes with something that is not flattering with Dr. before it.

Does this pose any problem or annoyance as far as how you are registered with the hospital directory?

If any ladies are out there that have done this, let me know if you have run into any problems as far as licensing and such - I would appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

If you've officially changed your name, then that's what it should be on your diploma and therefore on your license when you get it. If you haven't changed your name but just want to be called by your married name, that might cause some confusion in the hospital. How would you sign your charts? Or maybe you can hyphenate your name? That way your maiden name will be represented on your diploma but you can use your married last name professionally.

I know of one female from my medical school class who tried to do something similar. She wanted to be known as Dr Maidenname at work, but as Mrs. Marriedname in social situations..

After about half a year of pain she changed everything to Dr. Marriedname

You can obviously try and my example is n=1 so take it for what it's worth.