This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am preparing to apply to PhD programs in counseling psychology, and I'm working on prepping for my GRE this summer. I have a very high GPA (3.94), but I am awful at standardize tests. I did mediocre on the SATS. So I'm wondering what will prepare me for the GRE more: Magoosh, an online program that's a little over $100, or Kaplan, an IN PERSON review program that's a little over $1,000 dollars. Money is not a problem. But of course I don't want to waste. I'm just wondering how much better is Kaplan compared to Magoosh. Are in person courses much better than online? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am preparing to apply to PhD programs in counseling psychology, and I'm working on prepping for my GRE this summer. I have a very high GPA (3.94), but I am awful at standardize tests. I did mediocre on the SATS. So I'm wondering what will prepare me for the GRE more: Magoosh, an online program that's a little over $100, or Kaplan, an IN PERSON review program that's a little over $1,000 dollars. Money is not a problem. But of course I don't want to waste. I'm just wondering how much better is Kaplan compared to Magoosh. Are in person courses much better than online? Thanks everyone!
I believe I did Princeton review in person classes for $1000 and they did nothing for me. I still performed mediocre. I bought the Kaplan books and taught myself at home and did better. I too am awful at standardized tests. I am n=1, but I say save the $1000. Also, if you choose to do in person, read the fine print for money back guarantee. There were only like 3 practice tests so I took them over and over. For that reason, I didn't have the 'baseline data' to show I didn't improve and thus did not get a refund. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I believe I did Princeton review in person classes for $1000 and they did nothing for me. I still performed mediocre. I bought the Kaplan books and taught myself at home and did better. I too am awful at standardized tests. I am n=1, but I say save the $1000. Also, if you choose to do in person, read the fine print for money back guarantee. There were only like 3 practice tests so I took them over and over. For that reason, I didn't have the 'baseline data' to show I didn't improve and thus did not get a refund. Good luck!
This is super helpful thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Magoosh is fantastic. Two thumbs up. I studied with a combination of about 4-5 books plus flashcards (ended up doing fine). I didn't look into Magoosh until about a month before my exam. But when I finally did, I was kicking myself for not just joining Magoosh in the first place and calling it a day. Depending on how much time you have, I'd try Magoosh first, see if it works for you and decide then if you need a more expensive, in-person course.

Reactions: 3 users
Magoosh is fantastic. Two thumbs up. I studied with a combination of about 4-5 books plus flashcards (ended up doing fine). I didn't look into Magoosh until about a month before my exam. But when I finally did, I was kicking myself for not just joining Magoosh in the first place and calling it a day. Depending on how much time you have, I'd try Magoosh first, see if it works for you and decide then if you need a more expensive, in-person course.
Great advice! Very insightful. Thank you biscuitsbiscuits !!!

Hello,

Do Magoosh. I took a Princeton Review course, studied for 3 months and did exactly the same on the GRE as I did the first time. Then, I did Magoosh for 3 months and improved my combined verbal and quant by 18 points. I have zero hesitation saying Magoosh played a big part in helping me get into my first choice program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Magoosh saved my life. It's worth every penny, and it's almost exactly the same as the actual GRE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magoosh saved my life. It's worth every penny, and it's almost exactly the same as the actual GRE.

I think it's significantly harder than the actual GRE. I consistently scored several points lower on the Magoosh tests than I did on the real thing or the ETS practice tests (which are most like the real thing). I think that helped me even more though because it left me overprepared.

I think it's significantly harder than the actual GRE. I consistently scored several points lower on the Magoosh tests than I did on the real thing or the ETS practice tests (which are most like the real thing). I think that helped me even more though because it left me overprepared.
I meant in terms of format and feel, but I agree that I felt over-prepared.

I thought that Magoosh's verbal was easier than the real GRE (so not very helpful), but Magoosh's Quant was decent. I mean, my Q only increased by a couple points, but I think if I had a better study regiment I would have improved much more.

I always sound like a groupie, but I recommend Magoosh to everyone. I'm pretty bad at standardized tests and did badly on my first GRE. I studied for 3 months with Magoosh and increased my overall score by 19 points. I felt terrible while doing the math programs on Magoosh since they were very challenging but when I got to the real test, I flew through the math section with ease. It worked wonders for me but you have to be self motivated with any online-based learning.

I like Magoosh as well. I use their flashcards and some other apps I've found. For math, I really like Manhattan Prep. Each book you purchase from them gets you practice tests. Between them and the GRE book (purple one called ETS or something like that), I have about 10 practice tests to use, maybe more. I have decided to save the $1000 for potential interviews, applications, etc.

Last edited: