Made a stupid mistake in licensing application. Need advice, Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhymerhyme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my last year of training and will seek TX medical license upon graduation. As per my colleagues, processing of TX license can be quite lengthy, and starting application early is strongly recommended. So I thought I was being smart by starting my application now. I paid the $800s application fee and received an email from TMB, only to find out the application will expire in a year from now.

But I have a situation here. I am an IMG whose medical school is not on their recognized school list. And I have never done a clerkship in a ACGME approved US hospital. So I am not eligible unless I pass the board. I have confidence in passing the board. But the problem is that board exam will not happen until end of August next year, which is after the expiration date. It is impossible to complete my application by then.

I called the TMB and a CSR said I should withdraw my application. But I am concerned this is leaving a "dark spot" on my record and follow me throughout my career life. Because I will have to explain why I withdrew from board applications every time I apply for licensure or credentials, and TMB has provide a proof of it, even though this has nothing to do with medical practice.

Before I applied I read through the website and there was no mentioning of a expiration date of the application. Even now I cannot located this info anywhere on their website.

I feel so stupid of ruining my own career now. If anyone has any advice on damage control, it will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

This is no big deal. You withdraw your application -- it's not like you have any choice, as if you don't, you'll expire / get rejected anyway. Then, when you qualify for a TX license, you reapply. If you're asked about it in the meanwhile, you simply explain the circumstances. It may delay your licensing elsewhere (as they will likely contact the TX board for clarification) but it won't cause you any major problems.

Depending on your specialty, you may not get to pass the boards for 6 to 12 months after you graduate. You'll need a job elsewhere. Or, get a license in any other state, and then work in a VA in TX.

Reactions: 1 users
You can still get a TX license if your med school isn't on their approved list?