MacBooks at LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillsMafia28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear from someone who attends LECOM and uses a MacBook for testing/studying/reading e books. IT told me that this is the last year they are allowing students to use a MacBook for testing because people have issues during testing. Apparently there is some sort of conflict with exam software.

I have a Mac that's 5 years old and works like a charm but I will prob get a new one since it only runs on 4GB RAM. I am just worried about what type of problems actually happen during testing? I don't want to lose points because of exam software not working right on my Mac.

Please share your experience or your friend's experience with MacBooks at LECOM and the testing software. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I am just worried about what type of problems actually happen during testing? I don't want to lose points because of exam software not working right on my Mac.

So buy a real computer and don't put yourself at risk when you're taking tests. Many schools are making it a requirement to use Windows now. You could buy a $300 test-taking machine and use a Mac otherwise if you're deeply compelled to.

Members don't see this ad :)
So buy a real computer and don't put yourself at risk when you're taking tests. Many schools are making it a requirement to use Windows now. You could buy a $300 test-taking machine and use a Mac otherwise if you're deeply compelled to.

I like Macs because I never had to worry about getting a virus on my laptop and I have always backed up my iPhone through my MacBook. I don't know how to back it up otherwise. But if I end up getting a pc then I'll go with the new Microsoft Surface Laptop.

I don't know the answer to this, but you'll probably have better luck finding answers on your incoming class Facebook page.

Dang I haven't had a Facebook account in years. Maybe I can have a friend try to do it for me.

Dang I haven't had a Facebook account in years. Maybe I can have a friend try to do it for me.

Current first- and second- years are going to be the ones who can tell you if it's
"the software really doesn't work on Macs and it's a huge problem" situation or a
"IT doesn't really work with Macs, so Mac users haven't had problems but if you ever did you'd be SOL" situation.

Unfortunately, it's probably worth using a Facebook account if only for school stuff. People will use it a lot for finding roommates/housing and then later for buying/selling books, planning social events, planning school events, study guides/tips/questions, etc.

I like Macs because I never had to worry about getting a virus on my laptop and I have always backed up my iPhone through my MacBook. I don't know how to back it up otherwise. But if I end up getting a pc then I'll go with the new Microsoft Surface Laptop.

I don't mean this in an attacking way in any capacity, but I've worked in IT for 5 years now before finally getting to start my medical education, and the whole "Macs don't get viruses" thing is just an absolutely terrible reason to buy a Mac. You deserve an explanation though:
  • Macs have worse internal components than a Windows computer at a comparable price point. You are effectively paying for a brand name and a worse computer.
  • Macs have malware now. Most recently a lot of adware and other malware targets browsers specifically (browser hijackers, etc.) which Macs are absolutely vulnerable to. Honestly, viruses hardly even exist anymore for Windows machines unless you are really going out of your way to find something bad. Which brings me to...
  • What would you have to worry about as a Mac user or Windows user? In the more recent realm of common malware, both of them have the browser hijackers that I mentioned previously. The one thing I know that Windows gets is ransomware (where your computer asks for a password that requires you to provide money to receive in order to restore your computer). This is still very uncommon and it's almost exclusively elderly people that will get this on their computer that I work with.
  • If there is something on your iPhone that requires backing up, you can install iTunes on Windows and use it identically to how you would on a PC.
I always try to steer people away from Mac computers because their price doesn't justify their components and they're not immune to malware like they used to be. I do love the iPhone as a casual phone user, but even then I know I'm not getting anything better than what non-iPhones get and I'm paying extra for it. If you are ok with that, then that's the decision you have to make for yourself. I just don't like people getting duped by Mac die-hards that still swear by old arguments that aren't relevant anymore and want you to be fully informed before you make a purchase for yourself. Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 3 users
I don't mean this in an attacking way in any capacity, but I've worked in IT for 5 years now before finally getting to start my medical education, and the whole "Macs don't get viruses" thing is just an absolutely terrible reason to buy a Mac. You deserve an explanation though:
  • Macs have worse internal components than a Windows computer at a comparable price point. You are effectively paying for a brand name and a worse computer.
  • Macs have malware now. Most recently a lot of adware and other malware targets browsers specifically (browser hijackers, etc.) which Macs are absolutely vulnerable to. Honestly, viruses hardly even exist anymore for Windows machines unless you are really going out of your way to find something bad. Which brings me to...
  • What would you have to worry about as a Mac user or Windows user? In the more recent realm of common malware, both of them have the browser hijackers that I mentioned previously. The one thing I know that Windows gets is ransomware (where your computer asks for a password that requires you to provide money to receive in order to restore your computer). This is still very uncommon and it's almost exclusively elderly people that will get this on their computer that I work with.
  • If there is something on your iPhone that requires backing up, you can install iTunes on Windows and use it identically to how you would on a PC.
I always try to steer people away from Mac computers because their price doesn't justify their components and they're not immune to malware like they used to be. I do love the iPhone as a casual phone user, but even then I know I'm not getting anything better than what non-iPhones get and I'm paying extra for it. If you are ok with that, then that's the decision you have to make for yourself. I just don't like people getting duped by Mac die-hards that still swear by old arguments that aren't relevant anymore and want you to be fully informed before you make a purchase for yourself. Let me know if you have any questions!

Wow that's enlightening. Seems very logical. Do you have any recommendations for a pc? I was looking at the new Microsoft Surface Laptop...

I am not attending LECOM, but am in the market for a school computer. I hope this adds some insight...

My school uses ExamSoft for testing. A professor at a (different) medical school told me that students with MacBooks have trouble with ExamSoft WAY more often than those with PCs. The last thing I want is my computer screwing up during an exam. So though I've been all Apple Everything for 10 years, I'm jumping ship and getting the new Surface Pro.

Which brings me to my next point -- OP, if you're considering something in the Surface Family, I HIGHLY suggest you go to the Microsoft store and let them explain the pros and cons of each device. I was strongly recommended NOT to get the surface laptop (from several employees), as it's functionality is quite limited for the price point (even though it's "designed for students"). You may fare better with either the SurfaceBook or the Surface Pro. If you're going to get a cheap PC, get a SUPER cheap PC.

TLDR; if I were in your shoes, I'd either:
1) Buy a GOOD PC that is FOR SURE compatible with your exam software.
2) Use my MacBook for studying (since it still works well), and get a super cheap PC for exam purposes (which someone wisely suggested above). That'll save some $$$.

ExamSoft worked fine on my MacBook. If there were problems, EVERYONE had them, Mac or PC.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not attending LECOM, but am in the market for a school computer. I hope this adds some insight...

My school uses ExamSoft for testing. A professor at a (different) medical school told me that students with MacBooks have trouble with ExamSoft WAY more often than those with PCs. The last thing I want is my computer screwing up during an exam. So though I've been all Apple Everything for 10 years, I'm jumping ship and getting the new Surface Pro.

Which brings me to my next point -- OP, if you're considering something in the Surface Family, I HIGHLY suggest you go to the Microsoft store and let them explain the pros and cons of each device. I was strongly recommended NOT to get the surface laptop (from several employees), as it's functionality is quite limited for the price point (even though it's "designed for students"). You may fare better with either the SurfaceBook or the Surface Pro. If you're going to get a cheap PC, get a SUPER cheap PC.

2) Use my MacBook for studying (since it still works well), and get a super cheap PC for exam purposes (which someone wisely suggested above). That'll save some $$$.

Yeah I liked the Surface book too but it doesn't meet my schools qualifications so I can't get it. It cannot be a tablet. It seems like nobody has problems on the Mac unless you update the OS before exam software can adjust to the new Mac update.

Yeah I liked the Surface book too but it doesn't meet my schools qualifications so I can't get it. It cannot be a tablet. It seems like nobody has problems on the Mac unless you update the OS before exam software can adjust to the new Mac update.

Really? The Surface Book is an actual laptop; the screen just comes off. It runs a complete operating system (Windows 10 Pro). I'm highly surprised it didn't meet the specs...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I was in the post-bac last year and will be joining you in the incoming class. The problem LECOM has with Macs is that the testing software, Examsoft, crashes on them far more often than on Windows machines. However, it only seemed to happen after an update was released for the Macs. We were asked not to upgrade our Macs until Examsoft had time to update their software for the new Mac update. As far as I know, everyone who followed those guidelines had minimal problems. Plus if there was some problem that could not be resolved during the exam, a paper copy was given out.

Personally though, I would recommend grabbing a pc. Exams can be stressful enough without the risk of your machine crashing on you. Also I would recommend buying a small ethernet cord since wifi in the building can be spotty.

I don't see why the Surface wouldn't work considering it's effectively running the same Windows that any other laptop. That said, it's a bit pricey considering you could build a moderately strong gaming desktop computer for a similar price. When you're looking at tablets, you're effectively trading stronger internal components for touchscreen and slimness, neither of which I think are justifiable (unless you're really into that).

I would much rather recommend a laptop which better internal components that would be more likely to stand the test of time (through med school). Do you have a preferred price range? I could figure out how to stretch the max you're willing to spend comfortable. I wouldn't spend more than $600 unless you plan on playing video games on it.

Here's one that seems to look solid in terms of raw specs:

ASUS Notebooks R Series R541UA-RS51 Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7200U (2.50 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD Intel HD Graphics 620 15.6" Windows 10 Home 64-Bit - Newegg.com

7th Gen i5 (i7s are too pricey in laptops period), 8 GB RAM (plenty for non-gaming tasks), 1 TB storage is more than enough unless you're constantly downloading movies onto your computer (not streaming them). I've had good personal experience working on ASUS computers because at worst, getting them to reset to factory settings is much easier than others that are locked down tightly. No promises of course on this one being perfect, but I think it would last you a good while if you take care of i (and considering your Mac lasted you that long, I'm sure you take care of them well).

I am from Lecom, and Mac is fine lol. Dont worry

I've been using Boot Camp on my Macbook Pro (with Examsoft) and running Windows 10 home edition for the last 3 months. It's been trouble free.

Examsoft has always claimed lots of problems with Mac updates. But honestly, it works fine most of the time. Unfortunately most of the 'exam services' people at my school have no clue about computers and when they call examsoft technical support they (examsoft) always say the same issues: 1. you had a Mac and the update messed us up, or 2. you left you antivirus on. Examsoft never fesses up that their servers and their support is actually terrible.

I honestly think Examsoft preys on DO schools with their very 'not technical' exam support staff. Examsoft knows it can get away with these fake excuses, because the people running the exam services are all middle aged with education degrees (at best) who barely know how to use a word processor. They all have iphones, but they still believe examsoft that the 'mac' is the source of the problem, and they (educators) certainly don't know how to use one.

So you see a lot of schools trying to push to not let their students use Macs. Undoubtedly, it is easier for Examsoft if that's the policy, but the schools pay examsoft to provide a service, not dictate what equipment they must buy.

FYI, I am a huge PC guy, but I won't pretend that the rules about macs that some schools have are purely about developer ease and misinformation more than anything else.

Last edited:
I am from Lecom, and Mac is fine lol. Dont worry
This thread is three months old now.

Examsoft has always claimed lots of problems with Mac updates. But honestly, it works fine most of the time. Unfortunately most of the 'exam services' people at my school have no clue about computers and when they call examsoft technical support they (examsoft) always say the same issues: 1. you had a Mac and the update messed us up, or 2. you left you antivirus on. Examsoft never fesses up that their servers and their support is actually terrible.

I honestly think Examsoft preys on DO schools with their very 'not technical' exam support staff. Examsoft knows it can get away with these fake excuses, because the people running the exam services are all middle aged with education degrees (at best) who barely know how to use a word processor. They all have iphones, but they still believe examsoft that the 'mac' is the source of the problem, and they (educators) certainly don't know how to use one.

So you see a lot of schools trying to push to not let their students use Macs. Undoubtedly, it is easier for Examsoft if that's the policy, but the schools pay examsoft to provide a service, not dictate what equipment they must buy.

FYI, I am a huge PC guy, but I won't pretend that the rules about macs that some schools have are purely about developer ease and misinformation more than anything else.

The post bac I’m doing at VCOM lets us use Macs but if something goes wrong with the technology, they won’t support you (at least, they say they won’t. They’re really nice). Even if you don’t agree with the policy, I wouldn’t risk my future on it if you were in a similar position. It probably varies between schools though.

I don't understand -- if a school has a "no mac" policy, but the technology works most of the time, what would they do if it failed on test day? My school makes us take everything on iPads (which they made us buy), and if yours breaks/fails on test day they have backups. For schools that allow you to use your own device, do they also have backups? Or are you just SOL if something goes wrong?

Assuming they have backups, whether you own a mac or pc, I assume they would just help... maybe I'm being overly optimistic here...

(We use examsoft on iPads, but they are very specific about not updating the app or iPad without them announcing we should.)

I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy, and am fully aware that windows is terrible software full of code leak.

Having said that, I ran Microsoft Windows, on my Microsoft Surface Pro, and used Microsoft One Drive to save all my information, and even used Microsoft One Note briefly for year or two to annotate ppts....with ZERO issues.

I bought my Microsoft surface pro when they very very very first came out ($$$ ), and I have yet to have trouble with it.

Ymmv... but I had a very good experience with my Surface Pro. And for the record yes - we also used examsoft.

This thread is three months old now.

The post bac I’m doing at VCOM lets us use Macs but if something goes wrong with the technology, they won’t support you (at least, they say they won’t. They’re really nice). Even if you don’t agree with the policy, I wouldn’t risk my future on it if you were in a similar position. It probably varies between schools though.

This is pretty much true with IT at any school or hospital - you can use Macs but they aren’t really supported.

If you’re savvy enough you’ll be fine with a Mac. Can always dual boot windows if school gives you a hard time.

As for the guy saying Macs are not worth it for hardware - by specs you’re right, but specs are not that important on laptops unless you’re going to use it for games. I would get a MacBook for portability and OS. You can always get a cheap desktop for higher powered stuff and use some kind of Remote Desktop/VNC/etc if necessary.

(I know nothing about LECOM)