M4's guide to away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessmedstudent411

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many 4th years, including myself, are getting ready to do away rotations I wanted to call on the wisdom of SDN for advice on:

- Essential items to take with you
- Ways to cut down on expenses
- Any other words of wisdom

Members don't see this ad.

As many 4th years, including myself, are getting ready to do away rotations I wanted to call on the wisdom of SDN for advice on:

- Essential items to take with you
Depends on the type of rotation. What specialty?

- Ways to cut down on expenses
Rotating Room or staying with current residents for housing, try to sublet your room while you are gone, if it's semi- close to where you live, try to drive your car instead of renting a car for the month.

- Any other words of wisdom
Ask them about parking options early, don't wait until you get there. Never complain about being hungry/tired/bored. Chances are, your residents are also experiencing all of those things to a much greater degree than you. Be helpful but not overbearing. Be nice to everyone (EVERYONE). If you aren't put on a service with the important people to know at that program, ask your residents if you can arrange to have some face time with the PD/chair/other attending that has a big say in who ends up in that program. When residents tell you to go home, leave. Don't argue with them about it.

That's all I have for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
@hunterjumper14 Question about the asking for a meeting.....does that ever not work? I'm scared of sounding weird or overeager if I ask.

@BamaNicole Often times the program will interview you while you are on your rotation (happened in 2/3 of my aways), so then it's a nonissue. If you are on a rotation and have no contact with the PD/chair/etc. I think it's reasonable to talk to the residents about it and say something like "I'm really interested in this program and I want to make sure I communicate that interest to Dr. ___. Since I'm not on their service, is there a way we could arrange for me to spend a day in the OR with them/go to their clinic one afternoon/set up a meeting with them before I leave town?" It's no secret that you are very interested in their program, so the residents are (in my experience) understanding. Alternatively (or in addition to the above) you can offer to present at conference on a topic that interests you. That's another good way to stand out if it's not a requirement for your rotation.

Reactions: 2 users
Some random thoughts:

1) Know why you're doing an away.
Interested in the program? Need a letter? Trying to demonstrate willingness to relocate to a region? S--ts and giggles? Whatever it is, know your reasoning and make sure the programs you select will meet those needs. If you need letters from big name people, maybe avoid programs that have their rotators in different places every day or week where you never work with the same attending more than once. That might be a great fit, though, for someone who is really interested in that specific program and already has good letters from well known people at his or her home program. There are no hard and fast rules, but a little forethought can save you a lot of money and frustration. That frustration - if present - will surely bleed into your performance on service.

2) What to take with you?
Basics - clean and pressed white coat, professional clothes (see threads ad nauseum here about professional dress). Appearances matter
Alarm clock - use your phone too, but have a backup. There's absolutely never an excuse to be late on an away.
Some basic service-specific supplies. You won't know where anything is when you get there. Whatever field you're in, you should have already done a rotation in it and have some basic sense of what you need every day. Have some of those to tide you over the first day until you can find where supplies are kept.

3) Saving money?
Don't do away unless you really need to do them. See #1 above -- know why you need to do one and plan accordingly.
Be strategic in selecting them. Your big expenses are going to be Travel and Lodging, so keep those things in mind when deciding where you go. Rotating room, current residents -- all good resources.

How does housing work? Do programs provide it? I am assuming it would be very difficult to get a 1 month lease anywhere.

Saving money:
If you have to rent a car, don't rent it at an airport. I just did an away rotation as a third year, and it was over $600 cheaper for me to take an Uber to an offsite car rental site and pick it up there than it would have been to pick it up at the airport. (Still wasn't cheap, to be fair, but $600 is a lot to save).

How does housing work? Do programs provide it? I am assuming it would be very difficult to get a 1 month lease anywhere.

Sometimes they provide it. Sometimes they'll have a list of residents/other students who might be renting out an extra room or subletting their place. Sometimes you might be able to crash with a friend or classmate. Other times, none of those pan out and you might find yourself looking for a lease, airbnb, or extended stay hotel.

Reactions: 1 users
All of the above comments are excellent. I'll add the following:

1. Some Essential Items.

1. Your white lab coat and medical student ID badge.
2. Your basic medical equipment (e.g., stethoscope, watch to tell time).
3. Two sets of scrubs (unless house scrubs are provided to you - and hopefully they are).
4. Some civilian clothes (e.g., pair of casual pants, socks, few shirts, workout clothes if you have time to workout ... you get the idea). This is an away rotation and not a vacation.
5. A set of dressier-appearing clothes (because you might be attending some professional conferences or you might get an interview with the PD; you should look professional for these types of things).
6. Notebook and pens (to fit in your lab coat pocket for scribbling notes).
7. Phone and charger (phone doubles as alarm clock).
8. Laptop and charger.
9. Personal toiletries (your choice) and your prescription medications, contact lens cleaning gear and extra contact lenses (if you wear contact lens), plus regular glasses (if you wear eyeglasses), and sunglasses (if you're allowed to go outside at all - hahaha ... just kidding ... well, sort of).
10. A printed list of your emergency "people" contacts (including their telephone numbers, relationship to you, and email addresses). You can place this list inside your suitcase.
11. Copy of your important documents (e.g., driver's license, auto insurance policy cards). You may need a copy of these items if you lose them or they're stolen. You can place a copy of these items inside your suitcase.
12. Some emergency cash (you never know when cash will come in handy) - especially if you lose your credit cards/ATM card or your credit cards are stolen.

2. Some Cost-Effective Suggestions.

1. Prepare a "go to" grocery list for yourself (to save time and to budget food costs). Prepare nutritious meals ahead of time and leave them in the freezer or refrigerator of your home (then later warm up in a microwave, oven or stove). If you're fortunate, your home, flat, student housing, or hotel will have a crockpot for you to use. [Note: I don't know where you will be living during your away rotation (e.g., a flat, relative's home, student housing, hotel, or somewhere else).]
2. Buy some convenient snack foods to carry around in your lab coat pocket (e.g., healthy energy bars). At times, you may not have the "luxury" of dining in the hospital cafeteria or anywhere else for that matter. Then, when you're ravenous, you'll have something readily available to eat. Seriously, a snack package is better than nothing. If you're lucky, you might find some edible (packaged) goodies left in the on-call rooms, but don't take them if they're not "free" for the taking, or if you're not sure who left them there anyway. Ask first, before taking food or goodies that might belong to someone else, or of unknown origin, etc.

3. Some Words of Wisdom.

1. Be available, accessible, passionately committed, and willing to work very hard (be first to arrive; and last to leave).
2. Don't try too hard to be everyone's new friend-on-the-deck. They don't know you, and vice versa. If they like you, they'll probably invite you to join them (e.g., hang out and get pizza) over time.
3. Avoid drama and hospital gossip.
4. Do not start text-messaging with your friends or checking your social media non-stop. If you're bored or sitting around with nothing to do, ask what else you can do. Be willing to help; and be appreciative to help - let them know that you're a team player. Everyone is busy, so extra help is appreciated. They may not be able to invite you into a first-of-its-kind phenomenal surgery, but they can surely find something useful for you to do, even if it's scut work. After all, they did a lot of scut work when they were starting out, too. We get it ... no worries.
5. If you don't know how to do something or can't remember how to do something, don't try to bluff it or wing it: ask someone "in the know" instead (e.g., ask an intern or experienced RN, or whomever you need to ask).
6. Whenever I arrive at a new venue, I like to scope things out ... you know ... familiarize myself with locations, hospital floors, EM, OR, Radiology, on-call rooms, labs, pharmacy, etc. In other words, I rely on myself to navigate around the medical center (and not on my pda).
7. Take good care of yourself - physically, mentally, and emotionally. Stay hydrated. At times, you will probably feel sleep-deprived and possibly even discouraged or anxious because medicine is hard work. It happens ... and you will develop good coping mechanisms.
8. Absorb as much learning, knowledge, training and experience as possible (be an enthusiastic sponge).

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users