M3 interested in anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrjj11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a third year student at a US MD school. I recently got my score back for Step 1, which was unfortunately lower than I was hoping for (high 220s) and had a few questions regarding the future:

1. Have I screened myself out from mid-high tier anesthesia programs in the NE? I know "mid"/"high" are subjective terms so if you could specify what kinds of programs I could reasonably still be eligible for. While I am not set on places like Mount Sinai/Columbia/NYU, I am hoping to go to an established academic institution where I can feel confident I'll get trained well.

2. Is Anesthesia a field where a stellar Step 2 could put me squarely back into the pool for top programs? If so, is there a consensus score that would give me that chance?

3. What things should I be focusing on considering my step score to be competitive? While I'd love to be great at literally everything else and all of these are important to an extent, I'd like to have a focused approach to my time, energy, and efforts. Would the highest yield for me be:
-Step 2?
-Research + publishing?
-Clinical grades overall?
-Grades specifically in Anesthesia clerkships?
-Connections within my department?
-Other?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, Blade. Myself and others have answered these questions so many times I gets redundant. Check out these threads.

Remember to apply broadly and don't limit yourself to a particular geographic area.