lying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TherapistDave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My last few threads have not been answered, so hopefully this one will have some kind of response...:(

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why pathological lying is not listed as a verifiable condition in DSM-IV? My belief is that it has become such an ingrained part of life and society, even through the extrapolation of our stories, or simple exaggerations that we no longer consider it to be an issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I hope someone replies...

Members don't see this ad.

I hate that I'm the first post. Here it goes...differential diagnosis is probably difficult when comparing it to other disorders that present intense lying also as a symptom. Lying by itself is a symptom related to/characteristic of several other disorders (antisocial, etc.). It all depends on the other symptoms that accompany this lying and what purpose the lying serves for that person (i.e.- does it relieve anxiety?--impulse disorder). :(

I think pathological liar is a tough and loaded term, since I think a lot more goes into it. Behavior and motivations of lying (I did some exploratory research into these areas about 8 years ago), like Gayat said have similar and often times overlapping characteristics in other disorders. For instance, if someone lied to gain an advantage, it'd be much different than someone who lied out of fear of rejection, and still different than someone who lied because they were paranoid that if they told the truth they'd get locked away, etc. Would none, one, two, or all three qualify for pathologically lying? I understand some believe that there are some people who lie to lie, but I really don't think there is a condition that makes them unable to tell the truth....though, I'm just one opinion, so who knows.

I'd love to hear what other people think.

If you want, I can move this over to the PhD / PsyD forum, it may get a lot more traffic, since not as many people come in here. Let me know if you'd like me to move it (I can leave a redirect here, so people browsing here can see it also).

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
Great insight. Certainly there are instances were lying is an accompanying symptom of something like Gayat said, and T4C, you stated that there are people who lie just to lie, in that there is no diagnosis underlying their behavior. Do you think it's because we can't really see the intentions of people that we aren't able to discern lying in this case for what it basically is? Is there something deeper? I guess what I'm asking is, "How would pathological lying ever be a diagnosis?"

Keep the thread here.

No wait, I lied. Move it.