Lungs/Alveolar Gas Pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nostra_damus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can somebody explain to me how the lungs would affect the alveolar gas partial pressures for this question? I understand that if an artery is supplying blood to a lung lobe, that blood is probably high in CO2 content and low in O2 content, but am having trouble relating this to why the alveolar gas partial pressures would have more PO2 and less CO2.

Is it because there is no "respiration"/exchange of gases going on, so because the lungs are connected to the alveoli, the alveoli would become more like the outside amosphere? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 11.56.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 11.56.20 AM.png
    196.1 KB · Views: 46
Can somebody explain to me how the lungs would affect the alveolar gas partial pressures for this question? I understand that if an artery is supplying blood to a lung lobe, that blood is probably high in CO2 content and low in O2 content, but am having trouble relating this to why the alveolar gas partial pressures would have more PO2 and less CO2.

Is it because there is no "respiration"/exchange of gases going on, so because the lungs are connected to the alveoli, the alveoli would become more like the outside amosphere? Thanks!
The problem you're having with this question is that you're not reading the stem properly or correctly. It states "but ventilation to the lobe is unaffected" You're shutting down one thing, and keeping the other. What happens in this case?

The problem you're having with this question is that you're not reading the stem properly or correctly. It states "but ventilation to the lobe is unaffected" You're shutting down one thing, and keeping the other. What happens in this case?
The "other" will equilibriate with the air? Is that what theyre going for?

I think the passage may be confusing you.. but their simply saying that ventilation continues but artery blood flow is blocked. And we know that when ventilating our lungs are bringing in air and increasing the pO2 levels in the alveoli in our lungs & there are arteries that surround the alveoli where gas exchange occurs, basically high pO2 in alveoli diffuses to the blood arteries (where pO2 is low) & pCO2 diffuses from blood (where pCO2 is high) to the lungs (where pCO2 is low). Sooo if ventilation continued but blood flow was stopped the increasing O2/pO2 in alveoli would never flow into blood or CO2/pCO2 into alveoli thus the answer choice. But yeah your right its because of lack of gas exchange b/w the two that would just alter pO2/pCO2 from base levels