LPC or MFT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blankie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is the most versatile license?

Background : I'm a certified school psychologist in Arizona. I have an MA in educational psychology. I currently want out of school psychology. I hate working with teams, delivering oral reports at endless meetings, and being supervised among other things. I want to go into private practice as a therapist working with adults. I want to make my own decisions, set my own hours, run my own show.

I looked on my state licensing board website and it appears that they will accept my degree, but I may have to take two to four more classes, which is completely doable. I will also need to complete a 16 week practicum, and 2 years of supervised experience. I should be able to get paid for the latter-maybe not all that much, but enough to get by until I get my LPC license. Hey, I cook a mean bean and rice casserole! ☺

So, this brings me to my original question. Any major differences between the two licenses (MFT vs. LPC)? As stated previously, I want to work in my own private practice- no teaching, nothing else but doing therapy in my office. I don't EVER want to work for anyone else again. I'll keep my school psych certification current, and will probably do independent evaluations for parents on the side while building my therapy practice. ☺

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Which is the most versatile license?

Background : I'm a certified school psychologist in Arizona. I have an MA in educational psychology. I currently want out of school psychology. I hate working with teams, delivering oral reports at endless meetings, and being supervised among other things. I want to go into private practice as a therapist working with adults. I want to make my own decisions, set my own hours, run my own show.

I looked on my state licensing board website and it appears that they will accept my degree, but I may have to take two to four more classes, which is completely doable. I will also need to complete a 16 week practicum, and 2 years of supervised experience. I should be able to get paid for the latter-maybe not all that much, but enough to get by until I get my LPC license. Hey, I cook a mean bean and rice casserole! ☺

So, this brings me to my original question. Any major differences between the two licenses (MFT vs. LPC)? As stated previously, I want to work in my own private practice- no teaching, nothing else but doing therapy in my office. I don't EVER want to work for anyone else again. I'll keep my school psych certification current, and will probably do independent evaluations for parents on the side while building my therapy practice. ☺

Neither the MFT nor the LPC are really professions with a body of knowledge, academicians, scholars or researchers.
The MFT was established by the California Legisture in 1968. Prior to 1968, Clinical Social Workers and Psychologists provided most of the marriage and family counseling in the U.S. The LPC was established much later as were the other legislatively created clinicians. Therefore, it is much better to become a psychogist or clinical social worker. Any LCSW or Psychologist can supervise or teach in MFT or LPC programs but the reverse is not the case.
Finally, the similarities and differences between the MFT and LPC depends on the state in which the person is licensed. Both are favored by insurance panels because they are willing to accept lower fees than LCSWs or Psychologist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Neither the MFT nor the LPC are really professions with a body of knowledge, academicians, scholars or researchers.
The MFT was established by the California Legisture in 1968. Prior to 1968, Clinical Social Workers and Psychologists provided most of the marriage and family counseling in the U.S. The LPC was established much later as were the other legislatively created clinicians. Therefore, it is much better to become a psychogist or clinical social worker. Any LCSW or Psychologist can supervise or teach in MFT or LPC programs but the reverse is not the case.
Finally, the similarities and differences between the MFT and LPC depends on the state in which the person is licensed. Both are favored by insurance panels because they are willing to accept lower fees than LCSWs or Psychologist.

I read your responses on my other thread, and I have no intention of accepting less than a LCSW.

I read your responses on my other thread, and I have no intention of accepting less than a LCSW.
You most likely can't get the LCSW without going back to school for an MSW. Your school psychology classes will likely not count towards licensure. Also, LCSW, LPC, and LMFT are on the same "level" in regards to licensure. All allow you to practice independently (when allowed by the state) and main concern is what services are reimbursed by insurance. Some jobs in hospitals may only be open to LCSWs. In outpatient clinics you might find any of the 3 working there. Once you get into private practice, if you do cash only and don't take insurance then it won't matter much. But if you plan to take insurance then it might be a factor of LPC vs MFT. You should talk to individuals in both in your state to see what their experiences are like, explore monster.com and indeed.com or other job websites to see who is most in demand. If you don't want to go back for a second degree the LCSW is pretty much not an option.

@jheda is misinformed regarding LPC/MFT not being their own professions. Social workers didn't exactly come up with their own theories of psychological treatment either and rely on counseling theories from psychology and counseling fields. SW's have been able to advocate for themselves better than any other master level provider but that doesn't always make them better therapists.

Reactions: 2 users
LPC programs don't want psychologists anymore. CACREP doesn't want psych faculty teaching counseling students. All of my professors have Ph.D's in Counselor Supervision.