Loyola MAMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocemt816

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been a long time observer but a first time poster. I know it's a little early for this thread I was accepted in December and thought it might be a good time to get the ball rolling on meeting other accepted members.

I am a Californian MAMSer(Program Director coined the term) looking for any advice on off-campus housing. Also if anyone else is interested in a looking for a roommate feel free to pm or post it on here in case others are also searching.

Hope to meet you all soon!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied and was complete a couple days ago. Also applied DO this year but no luck so far.

Hello everyone,
I have been a long time observer but a first time poster. I know it's a little early for this thread I was accepted in December and thought it might be a good time to get the ball rolling on meeting other accepted members.

I am a Californian MAMSer(Program Director coined the term) looking for any advice on off-campus housing. Also if anyone else is interested in a looking for a roommate feel free to pm or post it on here in case others are also searching.

I applied in December but still waiting to hear back. How long did it take for you to be accepted? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied in December but still waiting to hear back. How long did it take for you to be accepted? Thanks!
I was notified through email that my application was complete 12/1/16 and accepted on 12/15/16. Good luck on your application!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@ocemt816 How soon after you submitted did you receive a complete email? It says on my application status that everything's been received.

Hello everyone,

Just got accepted yesterday. Woot! Woot! I am also a Californian looking for housing suggestions and roommates. Also, does anyone have an idea on how long I have before I need to officially accept the offer? Thanks. :)

Just got accepted yesterday. Woot! Woot! I am also a Californian looking for housing suggestions and roommates. Also, does anyone have an idea on how long I have before I need to officially accept the offer? Thanks. :)
Congrats on your acceptance!

Accepted a couple days ago! Anyone know how long to accept the offer? I'm still waiting to here back on med schools and this is my first choice option if I don't get in this cycle.

Accepted a couple days ago! Anyone know how long to accept the offer? I'm still waiting to here back on med schools and this is my first choice option if I don't get in this cycle.

CONGRATS DUUUUUUDDDDEEE!!

From the MAMS FAQ website:
"When must I confirm my acceptance and enroll in the MAMS program?
July 15 is the deadline for communicating your acceptance of admission to the MAMS program in order to ensure a seat. Students must enroll by that date as well. However students subsequently admitted to medical school can withdraw from the program up to the end of the first week of classes without having to pay tuition."

Last edited:
Waitlisted today...they said they filled their class already.

Anyone know how many students usually get accepted to Stritch? I hear the "linkage" isn't strong, but they do get a lot of their students into MD schools around the nation.

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS DUUUUUUDDDDEEE!!

From the MAMS FAQ website:
"When must I confirm my acceptance and enroll in the MAMS program?
July 15 is the deadline for communicating your acceptance of admission to the MAMS program in order to ensure a seat. Students must enroll by that date as well. However students subsequently admitted to medical school can withdraw from the program up to the end of the first week of classes without having to pay tuition."
Thanks man. Most likely my next option if I don't hear back from my interviews.

Anyone know how many students usually get accepted to Stritch? I hear the "linkage" isn't strong, but they do get a lot of their students into MD schools around the nation.

I was reading some of the Loyola threads here on SDN and I think it is about 10-20% each year. Probably closer to 10%. I think one alumn said 9/55 of his class got in.

I'm gonna give up my spot as I got accepted to med school. Seriously was gonna attend this program as I thought my cycle was over. Hope it goes to one of you qualified applicants!

Seriously, Last date to apply is in july. They are already filled?

Yea, I know kinda upsetting. I can copy and paste their response:

"Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

This year, we received more excellent applications for admission to our Medical Sciences MA program than expected. Although our class is currently full, your application was reviewed favorably by the faculty committee. As a result, you have been placed on a waiting list for admission to the 2017 Fall Semester.

Only qualified applicants are placed on our wait list; we use this tool to control the size of our programs and thus ensure that our students receive individualized attention and training from our faculty members. Spots do sometimes open in the class; we will contact you immediately if your admission status changes. Please do let us know if your situation changes, or your address or other contact information needs to be updated.

If you have questions regarding your status, please contact your Graduate Program Director, Dr. Dawn Franks, at +1 773-508-3721 or by e-mail at [email protected].

Thank you for your interest in The Graduate School at Loyola. We wish you the best of luck in the admission process.

Sincerely,

Patricia Mooney-Melvin, PhD
Interim Dean, The Graduate School
Loyola University Chicago

Hello, I was just accepted today!! I got my email this morning! I'm a longtime SDN reader too, but just posting now. I'm so excited! I'm a local Chicagoan so Loyola MAMS is one of my top choices!

Hey all!

MAMS Alum here. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I'll try to stay updated on this forum to answer questions as well.

I was reading some of the Loyola threads here on SDN and I think it is about 10-20% each year. Probably closer to 10%. I think one alumn said 9/55 of his class got in.

From last cycle, 13 people matriculated into Stritch (I have no idea how many got in and declined). It's too early to state how many students will get in during this cycle.

Hey guy, when did you submit your application/have all of your materials (transcripts, recommendations, MCAT) in by?
I just submitted mine the other day but I'm waiting on my PI to send in his recommendation so I'm just wondering how quick the turnaround is for complete applications --> decisions.
I had all my materials in by mid-December (the last letter was finally sent in then). I assume they went on winter break and didn't look at applications until the new year... so about a month after the new term began sounds about right.

Yea, I know kinda upsetting. I can copy and paste their response:

"Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

This year, we received more excellent applications for admission to our Medical Sciences MA program than expected. Although our class is currently full, your application was reviewed favorably by the faculty committee. As a result, you have been placed on a waiting list for admission to the 2017 Fall Semester.

Only qualified applicants are placed on our wait list; we use this tool to control the size of our programs and thus ensure that our students receive individualized attention and training from our faculty members. Spots do sometimes open in the class; we will contact you immediately if your admission status changes. Please do let us know if your situation changes, or your address or other contact information needs to be updated.

If you have questions regarding your status, please contact your Graduate Program Director, Dr. Dawn Franks, at +1 773-508-3721 or by e-mail at [email protected].

Thank you for your interest in The Graduate School at Loyola. We wish you the best of luck in the admission process.

Sincerely,

Patricia Mooney-Melvin, PhD
Interim Dean, The Graduate School
Loyola University Chicago

Dear kazekaage2016,

The MAMS class of 2018 is not full. We appreciate you posting this because it brought to our attention the fact that our Graduate Program Enrollment Management office sent out the wrong letter. We encourage all interested students to complete their applications and we look forward to reviewing them. If there are any additional questions about the application process, feel free to contact us at [email protected] or 773-508-3285.

Best wishes,

The MAMS program administrative team.

Reactions: 1 user

Dear kazekaage2016,

The MAMS class of 2018 is not full. We appreciate you posting this because it brought to our attention the fact that our Graduate Program Enrollment Management office sent out the wrong letter. We encourage all interested students to complete their applications and we look forward to reviewing them. If there are any additional questions about the application process, feel free to contact us at [email protected] or 773-508-3285.

Best wishes,

The MAMS program administrative team.
This is great news for those who are still waiting and those who have yet to apply. Wishing you guys an acceptance!

Hey y'all! I just got accepted and am heavily considering attending. Is there a facebook group or something like that yet? Also, housing stuff should be figured out relatively soon into the future, yeah?
Congrats on your acceptance! As for a facebook group, I have not seen one around yet.

Hello everyone,

I'm also a recent accepted Californian looking for a roommate(s). If you can keep me updated that'd be great. Thanks!

I was wondering what made people decide on Loyola MAMS vs. BU MAMS?

Anyone that's been accepted feel like sharing some stats? Really hoping to get into this program.

Anyone heard anything back from MAMS? Still waiting.

Application submitted 2/20/17, accepted 4/5/2017. 3.00 cGPA, 3.27 sGPA, 515 MCAT, quite a story of how things turned out that way.. I was interviewed and am waiting to hear back from the MSInDI program too, fingers crossed for that!

Completed application on March 17th, accepted today on May 5th. Really excited to be given this opportunity after an extremely disappointing year with a handful of medical school rejections post-interview. Still waiting to hear back from the University of Queensland-Ochsner Medical School in Australia, where I interviewed 6 weeks ago, but I will definitely be submitting a letter of intent to Loyola for the time being. Best of luck to everyone else.

3.37 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 511 MCAT, very strong clinical experience.

EDIT May 8th: In case it helps anyone who is wondering if the class is close to capacity or not, I just looked at class registration and there are currently only 22 seats filled out of 55 total in the MAMS classes, so 33 are still open.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Completed application on March 17th, accepted today on May 5th. Really excited to be given this opportunity after an extremely disappointing year with a handful of medical school rejections post-interview. Still waiting to hear back from the University of Queensland-Ochsner Medical School in Australia, where I interviewed 6 weeks ago, but I will definitely be submitting a letter of intent to Loyola for the time being. Best of luck to everyone else.

3.37 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 511 MCAT, very strong clinical experience.

EDIT May 8th: In case it helps anyone who is wondering if the class is close to capacity or not, I just looked at class registration and there are currently only 22 seats filled out of 55 total in the MAMS classes, so 33 are still open.

Thanks for that update! I've been waitlisted since February and have no idea what my chances are of changing that status.

Also, I was recently accepted in RFUMS's BMS program, does anyone have any insight into which program is "better"?

Thanks for that update! I've been waitlisted since February and have no idea what my chances are of changing that status.

Also, I was recently accepted in RFUMS's BMS program, does anyone have any insight into which program is "better"?
Hey congratulations on your acceptance at RFU! When did you apply there and how soon did you hear back?

Hey all! Has anyone applied with a GRE score? If so, has anyone gotten accepted?

Anyone know where we upload the personal statement? There is a place to upload the statement of purpose, but it looks like from their site that these are two separate documents.

Waitlisted... does anyone know if there are still open spots?

Accepted today! Extremely excited for this program and to meet my fellow classmates. I live down the street from campus so if anyone has any questions about the neighborhood, feel free to PM me.

Submitted 5/30/2017
Complete 6/1/2017
Accepted 6/13/2017

cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.4 MCAT 501 (126/126/125/124)

They definitely do a holistic view of your application because my numbers are not overwhelming by any means.

Hi All, planning on attending this program in the Fall of 2017. Wondering where some other students are thinking about living in the Chicago area-- Rodgers Park or in other neighborhoods? Just trying to get an idea- thank you!

Update on remaining seats: as of this morning 45 enrolled, 10 seats open

Wishing everyone the best of luck!

Hi All, planning on attending this program in the Fall of 2017. Wondering where some other students are thinking about living in the Chicago area-- Rodgers Park or in other neighborhoods? Just trying to get an idea- thank you!

MAMS alum here. I would say about 40+ people (out of 55) lived in Rodger's Park

Hi guys! Can I apply with GRE score instead of the MCAT? The website is very confusing. On the FAQs, it said that no other test scores other than the MCAT is used, but on the main page, it says that you can send either an MCAT or GRE. Did anybody apply with a GRE score?