Lower ranked presidency/bad history in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beta_Blocker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

I am a recent graduate and I am currently working at a retail chain. Unfortunately, I am not getting enough hours and I am not seeing any scope in the future. I am from TX

I have been applying jobs at a hospital and I never hear back. I am not surprised because I know I do not have any residency or hospital experience.

I have recently decided to give residency a shot but I do not have a good GPA and history in pharmacy school. I have developed passion and I know I can do it.

I just need to know what lower ranked programs are out there and how did people with bad grades made into residency. I don't care for high reputable programs. I just need to get into a program. My long term goals are Ambulatory care pharmacist.

Also, I am ready to make that pay cut and invest into something that will build my confidence and skills.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would do my best to make the most of rotations this year. If you can get involved in larger projects at your rotation site, that would be good. Write a great letter of intent. It makes a difference. Maybe look at candidate programs. Some of those programs are amazing, but they don't get as many applications because of their status. I interviewed several places, but didn't match. Work on your interview skills so that you don't miss out if you get the chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Believe OP said "recent graduate"

I'd try to avoid the ones that are not accredited. Do you even want to work at a hospital?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a hospital in Shreveport, LA that I think had 5 out of 6 spots go into the scramble 2 years in a row back in the day when I was looking at these things. I think it's called University Health Shreveport? I know nothing about the program or reasons for always going into the scramble.

Reactions: 1 user
If you move out to smaller towns in Texas you can 100% get a hospital job. I go to Texas Tech in Abilene, and the local hospitals churn through hospital pharmacists (Non-residency) super fast since they all want to move to the metroplex. Make sure you check TPA's website for their local listings of hospital pharmacy jobs in west texas.