Low to mid tier obgyn Allo programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluoropHore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I've scoured the threads for low to mid tier ob gyn programs (pref in the NE/Atlantic area)...found threads on top tier but not much of low to mid. FRIEDA doesn't help. Please and thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Look for other directories. LMGTFY

I disagree that googling "OB GYN residency programs" will help with finding programs that may be willing to interview less competitive candidates (what is likely what the OP means by low to mid tier) since this is often based on experience and word of mouth.

Some programs post having lower or higher Step 1 cut offs but I know people who have gotten interviews at places with a lower score than the posted cutoff (within reason). If you tell us why you are looking for low and mid tier programs we might be able to give specific suggestions based on what we know about applicants personally and the match over the past 2 years or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
first hit in that search is the apgo directory

APGO does not give anything similar to tiers and some top-notch programs have low step 1 cutoffs listed, so hard to glean from there. Students need to talk to actual people (and sometimes internet people) about where to apply based on their CV.

Why don't you just apply broadly in your area of choice? At most it will save you money, at the very least you may get some interviews you wouldn't be expecting if you just did what internet people think

I disagree that googling "OB GYN residency programs" will help with finding programs that may be willing to interview less competitive candidates (what is likely what the OP means by low to mid tier) since this is often based on experience and word of mouth.

Some programs post having lower or higher Step 1 cut offs but I know people who have gotten interviews at places with a lower score than the posted cutoff (within reason). If you tell us why you are looking for low and mid tier programs we might be able to give specific suggestions based on what we know about applicants personally and the match over the past 2 years or so.
Thats the rub.

Well, I'm from the area and would ideally like to stay (who doesn't?)- step 1 240, lots of pubs and extracurriculars (does that matter anymore) but not stellar clinicals (mostly HPs), and I'm going to assume my LoRs are in the "great-known-them-a-long-time" range but prooooobably not amazeballs. I'm open to other areas of the US (but not really the *other* coast). It would be great to have a concise eval of programs instead of slogging through Invite Threads which are constantly in flux.

Last edited:
APGO does not give anything similar to tiers and some top-notch programs have low step 1 cutoffs listed, so hard to glean from there. Students need to talk to actual people (and sometimes internet people) about where to apply based on their CV.

I've talked to a few, but there's only so much I can glean from them

Why don't you just apply broadly in your area of choice? At most it will save you money, at the very least you may get some interviews you wouldn't be expecting if you just did what internet people think

Applying broadly implies I know where I'm applying to and my chances. How can I know what broadly is if I don't have an accurate metric?

Applying broadly implies I know where I'm applying to and my chances. How can I know what broadly is if I don't have an accurate metric?

I sent you a PM offering help a long time ago. You're in fine shape to get through the filter anywhere with a 240. I presume you have a strong letter from a subinternship or two. If you have a HP and not honors you will still be fine and likely get interviews at top New England programs. It's a little different for everyone (I.e you might get an interview from X but your friend with "similar stats" did not and vice versa). OB is a little bit competitive at the moment so if it makes you feel better, apply to 40 programs and let the interview invites roll in. I would apply to all the Boston programs including Brigham/MGH, Yale, UConn, UMass, Baystate (MA), Stony Brook, whichever NYC programs interest you, Brown, Jefferson, Penn, And a smattering of CT, NY, NJ, PA programs that are community-based and sound interesting to you.

@BigTumor mind answering these questions:

What general advice do you have for students to increase their chances of matching at a program that has never taken med students from their school? I realize this is a very big uphill battle.
What are the most important factors residency committee members take into consideration for interviews and also their rank list?
I also had a few questions on specific programs and would really appreciate if you could PM me.

What general advice do you have for students to increase their chances of matching at a program that has never taken med students from their school? I realize this is a very big uphill battle.
What are the most important factors residency committee members take into consideration for interviews and also their rank list?
I also had a few questions on specific programs and would really appreciate if you could PM me.

i made it into a program as the first from my med school. i think the biggest factor was that i did a sub-i there. i think that's the best advice period. if you really want to go somewhere, do a rotation there. good luck!

Sorry, I just saw your msg! replied.

If you come from Podunk medical school, less likely to get interviewed by major academic institutions. Not unheard of but less likely to happen.

Things that are really looked at in no particular order: Step scores with Step 1 given more weight than Step 2, Clinical grades, Letters of Rec.

If you look good on paper, they will generally interview you. If you are a reasonable person in the interview, they will rank you. After that, it is up in the air.

If you do an away rotation, that can help or hurt you. If you suck, you may get a courtesy interview but not much real consideration. In my fellowship at an academic place, there was a 4th year DO student who did a Sub I. She did an average to below average job. That coupled with the fact this program has not taken a DO in residency ever killed her chances, but they were not great to start to be honest.