Low stats, OMFS advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFS-hopefull

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate some solid advice from newly graduated OMFS residents, current residents or program directors. Currently a 3rd yr dental student with a 2.9 GPA (right around 50th percentile ranking), great leadership positions, previous work experience as OMFS assistant for a couple of years, and expecting good rec letters. Taking the CBSE later this July and again in March before sending off applications. I am set on OMFS, however need advice on:
  • How can I maximize my potential for matching?
  • Will my low rankings affect chances of getting externships?
  • What is a realistic expectation for programs I can MATCH?
  • Can any X factors makeup for the low ranking?
  • If it comes down to intern year, where would I have the best shot?

I appreciate your time and advice in advance,

OMFS-hopefull

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is no way around it - your rank will certainly put you at a disadvantage.
I'd say that you must kill the CBSE, and definitely do an internship year. Even then it's still an uphill battle for you.
I know people who know those who've done multiple internships who still did not match.
Matching to OMFS programs can be highly variable, even with competitive stats. I know someone who was in Top 5 of his dental school class and had an amazing CBSE score, but still did not match (his first time at least). And I'm sure that you know that there were people who's stats were good but not as impressive as the previous guy's that I mentioned, and they matched. Sometimes, unexpected things can happen.
So, I mention all of this to tell you that, if you're dead set on OMFS, then go for it if you really want it bad enough. However, be prepared for the possibility that you will not match and plan your career accordingly.

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate some solid advice from newly graduated OMFS residents, current residents or program directors. Currently a 3rd yr dental student with a 2.8 GPA (right around 50th percentile ranking), great leadership positions, previous work experience as OMFS assistant for a couple of years, and expecting good rec letters. Taking the CBSE later this July and again in March before sending off applications (. I am set on OMFS, however need advice on:
  • How can I maximize my potential for matching?
  • Will my low rankings affect chances of getting externships?
  • What is a realistic expectation for programs I can MATCH?
  • Can any X factors makeup for the low ranking?
  • If it comes down to intern year, where would I have the best shot?

I appreciate your time and advice in advance,

OMFS-hopefull
Once you get an interview nothing else matters. You've gotta be able to interview well. That being said, you need to get an interview. In your case, you may need that extra intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you get an interview nothing else matters. You've gotta be able to interview well. That being said, you need to get an interview. In your case, you may need that extra intern year.
Are you a current resident, surgeon, administration officer?

Once you get an interview nothing else matters. You've gotta be able to interview well.
Thanks for your response. Besides the personal presentation and fitting into the culture of the program, what are some curveballs to prepare for? and would a great interview be enough grounds for being granted a position rather than intern non-degree?

Thanks for your response. Besides the personal presentation and fitting into the culture of the program, what are some curveballs to prepare for? and would a great interview be enough grounds for being granted a position rather than intern non-degree?
I don't know. Residents, program directors, omfs faculty, etc. have all echoed the sentiment "once you have a solid ranking and cbse and apply broadly enough you should get some interviews" and for the most part once you get an interview you guys are all on level playing ground. They interview students that they think can handle residency(grades/CBSE) and the interview is a time to get to know you to see if you fit in their program and the program fits you.

Hey what if you are an international student would the ranking matter as much?

•_• hi •_•

I just finished my OMFS residency and was highly involved with our programs interviews for 3 years. I can tell you many programs have a hard cutoff of ranks and CBSE scores where the applicant isnt even looked at without certain numbers. Your GPA and rank would likely put you out at my program and many others. You need to destroy the CBSE to get some interviews. I agree with other posts that plan on not matching the first year and try to lock in an intern spot at a program that has a history of taking interns.

I know 2 different guys with poor boards/numbers who eventually matched after 3 intern years....their dedication was what got them interviews and an eventual position.

I just finished my OMFS residency and was highly involved with our programs interviews for 3 years. I can tell you many programs have a hard cutoff of ranks and CBSE scores where the applicant isnt even looked at without certain numbers. Your GPA and rank would likely put you out at my program and many others. You need to destroy the CBSE to get some interviews. I agree with other posts that plan on not matching the first year and try to lock in an intern spot at a program that has a history of taking interns.

I know 2 different guys with poor boards/numbers who eventually matched after 3 intern years....their dedication was what got them interviews and an eventual position.

3 intern years at 3 different programs?!

Last edited by a moderator:

What were these hard cut offs for your program?

Were you at a 6 or 4 year program?

Every program has a different cut off. It also varies between 4 yrs and 6 yrs as well. If you are planning for 6 yr route, expect the cut off to be around the equivalent score needed for passing the USMLE Step 1
Would still like some actual numbers from people who have first hand experience as this guy above claims to have haha

I can throw one in.
UConn doesn't look at any applications that have a CBSE score less than 60.
This is straight from the program coordinator

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA and rank would likely put you out at my program and many others. You need to destroy the CBSE to get some interviews.
Congratulations on recently finishing your program, huge achievement. I have a few questions and will try to limit them.

1) What CBSE score range can overcome the 2.9 GPA that I hold?
2) Through your research and experiences, do you have recommendations for any particular programs for internship?
3) Besides CBSE score and GPA/rank, are there any X-factors that may change the program director's mind about an applicant to overlook the GPA in granting an interview?

Congratulations on recently finishing your program, huge achievement. I have a few questions and will try to limit them.

1) What CBSE score range can overcome the 2.9 GPA that I hold?
2) Through your research and experiences, do you have recommendations for any particular programs for internship?
3) Besides CBSE score and GPA/rank, are there any X-factors that may change the program director's mind about an applicant to overlook the GPA in granting an interview?

-You need to score above a 70 on the CBSE. With your rank/gpa, over 80 and you will get interviews. Some 6yr programs will look at your undergrad GPA for medical school acceptance so keep that in mind.
-Parkland
-As was already mentioned, there are many programs with cutoff points to even consider your application. They won't get beyond the 1st page and there is nothing about research, extra-curricular, letters of rec on that page. Doing an internship is the best thing you can do if you don't match in my opinion.

I also agree with the comment about interviewing. Most programs don't grant "charity" interviews so if you are there, then you have a relatively equal shot. I wouldn't say the field is completely level but if you kill the interview, you make up for any deficiency in your application.

Thank you for the feedback. What in your opinion makes Parkland a program of interest for internship? I have heard that Dr. Tiwana is no longer there.
Because I am there. Less important is that it is a busy internship at a good program, time to study for the CBSE if needed, more Parkland alumni in academic positions around the country than most any other program.

Reactions: 1 users