This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rei17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an undergrad bio major at Rutgers University and just calculated my science GPA and it is low as hell! My overall GPA is a 3.1 but my science GPA is a 2.3! I failed Orgo twice before finally passing with a C. I've basically gotten C's in nearly all of my science classes except for gen bio which I AP'd out of. I would attribute this to a mixture of my own immaturity in freshman and sophomore year and an intense couple of years caring for my grandmother who suffered a stroke and came to live with my family and I. I missed out on classes, study sessions, and office hours to come home and care for her or take her to see her doctors and other medical emergencies. (Please know that this was also partially the reason I became interested in PT and part of how I became more interested in health care in the first place, so I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about her! She's lovely and a blessing to me!) Nevertheless, my grades have been incredibly mediocre and I don't know where to go from here. I am going to be a senior next year and am preparing to take the GRE soon. I know I'm not going to be able to compete with some of these amazing 3.6 GPAs! Help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Gotta retake your science courses and look at applying to schools that accept the highest grade you earn for a course. Really the only option

Sent from my XT1028 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
My science GPA was a 2.9, most schools don't have a minimum science GPA to apply. Just minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and Prereq GPA of 3.0 or 3.2. On PTCAS they do calculate your science GPA but I don't think that is too much of a big deal (obviously it would be better for all your GPA's to be high but don't worry too much about that one.) I also got a D in orgo and in one of my PT interviews the interviewer saw I had a D on my transcript, saw it was orgo, and said oh well we don't require orgo anyway. I never retook it for a better grade.

Focus on your prereq and overall GPA and only retake classes that are prereqs you did not do well in, because these will raise both of those. Other than that do well on the GRE, get lots of observation hours and you should be fine.

Also, you can totally use that story in your interviews. There is also a place in PTCAS where you can explain your grades if you feel they do not reflect your abilities, you can put that story there. I woudn't say I did bad in orgo specifically. I'd just say my whatever semester whatever year I was responsible for taking care of my grandmother after she had a stroke and struggled to balance that with school. Since then.... blablabla write how you have improved or learned something. OR I would not write anything at all in that space and just use the story during interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My science GPA was a 2.9, most schools don't have a minimum science GPA to apply. Just minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and Prereq GPA of 3.0 or 3.2. On PTCAS they do calculate your science GPA but I don't think that is too much of a big deal (obviously it would be better for all your GPA's to be high but don't worry too much about that one.) I also got a D in orgo and in one of my PT interviews the interviewer saw I had a D on my transcript, saw it was orgo, and said oh well we don't require orgo anyway. I never retook it for a better grade.

Focus on your prereq and overall GPA and only retake classes that are prereqs you did not do well in, because these will raise both of those. Other than that do well on the GRE, get lots of observation hours and you should be fine.

Also, you can totally use that story in your interviews. There is also a place in PTCAS where you can explain your grades if you feel they do not reflect your abilities, you can put that story there. I woudn't say I did bad in orgo specifically. I'd just say my whatever semester whatever year I was responsible for taking care of my grandmother after she had a stroke and struggled to balance that with school. Since then.... blablabla write how you have improved or learned something. OR I would not write anything at all in that space and just use the story during interviews.

Thank you!! This was really helpful, and hopeful! I'll try retaking the classes I didn't do as well in!

I also majored in bio and had an overall GPA of 3.1 haha! I applied to 12 schools, waitlisted at 5 and got in off one of the waitlists a few weeks ago. It is harder to get in with a low GPA but just do well on the GRE and do what you can to improve your GPA this last year of undergrad!

I am currently an undergrad bio major at Rutgers University and just calculated my science GPA and it is low as hell! My overall GPA is a 3.1 but my science GPA is a 2.3! I failed Orgo twice before finally passing with a C. I've basically gotten C's in nearly all of my science classes except for gen bio which I AP'd out of. I would attribute this to a mixture of my own immaturity in freshman and sophomore year and an intense couple of years caring for my grandmother who suffered a stroke and came to live with my family and I. I missed out on classes, study sessions, and office hours to come home and care for her or take her to see her doctors and other medical emergencies. (Please know that this was also partially the reason I became interested in PT and part of how I became more interested in health care in the first place, so I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about her! She's lovely and a blessing to me!) Nevertheless, my grades have been incredibly mediocre and I don't know where to go from here. I am going to be a senior next year and am preparing to take the GRE soon. I know I'm not going to be able to compete with some of these amazing 3.6 GPAs! Help!!
Best thing to do is retake a couple classes if you can but also get as much experience as you can! My cGPA was a 3.3 and my prereq GPA was a 3.0 but I did well on my GRES and had a bunch of hours working and observing (4 settings, 1000+ hours) and I got accepted to a program yesterday. do other things that will make you stand out! Gpa is important but it's also important to be well rounded! Good luck

I’ve experienced nearly the same thing. Hopefully, you’ve been able to pull it together by now, and things are well with you and the family... The only piece of advice I can really offer is to show your commitment to your passions in more ways than one (i.e., excelling in other activities that outweigh just the grades).

Research on something you specifically are working towards, volunteer, get more work experience, possibly shadow a professional in the field you’re trying to go into if possible... Show that, despite the low grades, you are still committed to and involved in the field you’re choosing to go into.

Best of luck to you. Prayers for grandma—I know how hard that kind of situation can be.