AaVa18

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
***UPDATED 8/30/2017*****

Hi... I just made an account here cause i couldn't find an answer to my question in any other threads.. Im a junior in high school right now with a 3.7875 gpa out of 5.0 and I reaallly want to get into a BA/MD program. How are my chances looking?

I want to apply to these programs:
1. Rutgers Newark BA/MD program
2. Sophie Davis BS-MD
3. Drexel University BA/BS + MD
4. Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute BS-MD program
5. Siena College (+Albany medical college)
6. University of South Florida -Tampa(7 year BS/MD program)
7. UConn BA/BS + MD
8. George Washington University BA/MD
9. literally any other potentially easy to get into direct medical program, im totally open to suggestions

My grades so far... :(

Freshman Year: weighted gpa for this year alone -> 3.725
English 9: A
Freshman Rhetoric (semester, required): B+
World History: A-
Honors Geometry: B
Honors Physics/Lab: B
Spanish 2: B+
Contemporary Business Tech (semester, required): A
Foods & Nutrition (elective): A+
Gym: A+
Health: A-

Sophomore Year: weighted gpa for this year alone -> 3.7344
Honors American Lit: A
Honors US History 1: B-
Honors Algebra 2/Trig: B
Honors Chem/Lab: B-
Spanish 3: B+
Intro to Business (elective): A-
Intro to Computer Prog. (elective, semester): A
Honors Comp. Prog. JAVA (elective semester): A
Driver's Ed: A

Junior Year: weighted gpa for this year alone -> 3.9
Honors Modern Fiction/Non-Fiction: A
Honors US History 2: B+
AP World History: B-
Honors PreCalc: B
Honors Bio: B+
Spanish 4: A-
AP Computer Programming: B
Health: A

Senior Year: aiming for 4.11 weighted
Honors British Literature:
AP Art History:
AP Calculus AB:
AP Biology/Lab:
Honors Anatomy & Physiology 1&2 (Rutgers Credits):
Honors Dynamics of Health Care (Semester 1, rutgers credits):
Honors Emergency Clinical Services (Semester 2, rutgers credits):
AP Art History (to fill art course requirement):
Senior Study Hall (required since I'm taking 2 sciences):
Gym:

Standardized Test Scores:
ACT: 30 (retaking in 1 week)-> 34 E, 28 M, 21 R, 34 S (btw can i superscore ACT?)
SAT II: 600 (Biology M) 600 (Math 2) in June without studying, retook them last week after studying

Volunteering:
- over 100 hours at hospital
- 5 hours at camp for the disabled
- 5 hours at nursing home

Extracurriculars:
EMS Club (2yr) , Stock Market Club (3yr) , Art Club (2yr) , Future Architects and Engineers Club (1yr), Debate Team (1yr)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These programs tend to be super competitive, so I don't think your chances are great with a low GPA. Also hinges on your SAT score being 98%+

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely random here, but what kind of app (GPA/ACT or SAT) do you need for a BS/MD program? Someone asked me the other day and I didn't have a flyimg clue

So a 3.72 is like a B? I'm not really familiar with a 5 point hs scale.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

yea its about a 3.2 on a 4.0 scale i believe

Completely random here, but what kind of app (GPA/ACT or SAT) do you need for a BS/MD program? Someone asked me the other day and I didn't have a flyimg clue

based on the research i did, it varies on the program. for examples rutgers says they want someone in the top 10% with an act composite score of 32+ or sat 1400+ i think

If you're in NYC and a URM or financially disadvantaged look into Sophie Davis. They don't require a high GPA but require you to demonstrate a high interest in medicine. But tbh, unless you're a 100% you want to be a doctor don't do it. At times, these programs can really destroy you if you don't meet their set requirements and could possibly leave you without a BS or an MD. I personally applied to a few and ultimately decided to go the conventional route and I couldn't be happier to be honest as I've grown so much as a person in my first two years of college and got to ultimately decide why I want to be a doctor.

It's completely random. Some BA/MD or BS/MD programs are super competitive and require high ACT/SAT whereas others don't require a high ACT/SAT but require a very strong background in medicine that shows your genuine interest in becoming a doctor.

i had a 3.75, 99%ile SAT and ACT, summer of research at HYP, a boatload of shadowing, and some heavy involvement in random ECs but was also a d1 college recruit. I applied to 8 combined programs only to get 2 interviews (one being at Albany). I can honestly say that it is just as hard to get into those programs as it is to get into medical school traditionally - it truly is for those who already have their ducks in line before graduating high school. Also you are potentially putting yourself in an undergraduate institution that you may be miserable at only to garuntee yourself a spot at a underwhelming medical school that may have not been the best fit for you.

also, don't ask why the retention rates for these programs is so low when you interview. I was amazed albany couldnt retain even 40% of their BS/Md students and made it a large point of concern during the interview that likely led to rejection

If you're in NYC and a URM or financially disadvantaged look into Sophie Davis. They don't require a high GPA but require you to demonstrate a high interest in medicine. But tbh, unless you're a 100% you want to be a doctor don't do it. At times, these programs can really destroy you if you don't meet their set requirements and could possibly leave you without a BS or an MD. I personally applied to a few and ultimately decided to go the conventional route and I couldn't be happier to be honest as I've grown so much as a person in my first two years of college and got to ultimately decide why I want to be a doctor.

My mom is the only one who brings in the income in my family and i think she gets roughly 100,000 a year but i think thats gross income not even net so I think i'd qualify for fasfa but idk if it means im financially disadvantaged. I looked into Sophie Davis just now and its great location wise and i meet the gpa requirement but what can i do to demonstrate a high interest in medicine? I'm 100% sure i wanna be a doctor. I was sure sine i was little but i slacked freshman year and thought i should go into computer science instead so my electives reflect that but now im set on medicine again and im cramming AP Bio and anatomy and physiology classes into my senior year schedule. I'd go the traditional way but how long is it and does it cost more than the faster path?

I was amazed albany couldnt retain even 40% of their BS/Md students
My guess: The bunch of hardworking top percenters that the program attracts tend to realize they have good odds of admits to much more competitive / better located med schools than Albany's

Reactions: 1 user
My guess: The bunch of hardworking top percenters that the program attracts tend to realize they have good odds of admits to much more competitive / better located med schools than Albany's
Exactly!!

My mom is the only one who brings in the income in my family and i think she gets roughly 100,000 a year but i think thats gross income not even net so I think i'd qualify for fasfa but idk if it means im financially disadvantaged. I looked into Sophie Davis just now and its great location wise and i meet the gpa requirement but what can i do to demonstrate a high interest in medicine? I'm 100% sure i wanna be a doctor. I was sure sine i was little but i slacked freshman year and thought i should go into computer science instead so my electives reflect that but now im set on medicine again and im cramming AP Bio and anatomy and physiology classes into my senior year schedule. I'd go the traditional way but how long is it and does it cost more than the faster path?
Its the exact same as the traditional route as the only difference is that you're "guaranteed" a spot. You can demonstrate interest by volunteering in a hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its the exact same as the traditional route as the only difference is that you're "guaranteed" a spot. You can demonstrate interest by volunteering in a hospital.

I've volunteered in a hospital since sophomore year, i have 50+ hours and im trying to do a research program this summer. Is that good enough? I've also volunteered at a nursing home but only for a few hours and a camp for disabled kids but i dont have any proof and it was also only like 5 hours

Yes that's good enough. You don't need to include the nursing home and the camp. Just be prepared to sell your dedication to medicine. You definitely need to prove that to them.

Yes that's good enough. You don't need to include the nursing home and the camp. Just be prepared to sell your dedication to medicine. You definitely need to prove that to them.

Ok thanks. Also do u know if i can apply to schools without meeting their minimum requirements? Rutgers wants top 10% in regards to gpa but im only in the top 30% roughly

My basis is only on Sophie Davis as I focused on regular UG schools. I know other BSMD are a lot more competitive so that doesn't mean you can't try but you might not get in likely.

My basis is only on Sophie Davis as I focused on regular UG schools. I know other BSMD are a lot more competitive so that doesn't mean you can't try but you might not get in likely.

ok, btw do u currently attend sophie davis?

I got in but I decided to go the traditional route because I wanted the college experience

Does anyone know of people who got into ba/md programs with a low high school gpa? i could really use some motivation... btw i posted my grades up above and i cant decide if i should take an AP math or not senior year

i had a 3.75, 99%ile SAT and ACT, summer of research at HYP, a boatload of shadowing, and some heavy involvement in random ECs but was also a d1 college recruit. I applied to 8 combined programs only to get 2 interviews (one being at Albany). I can honestly say that it is just as hard to get into those programs as it is to get into medical school traditionally - it truly is for those who already have their ducks in line before graduating high school. Also you are potentially putting yourself in an undergraduate institution that you may be miserable at only to garuntee yourself a spot at a underwhelming medical school that may have not been the best fit for you.

also, don't ask why the retention rates for these programs is so low when you interview. I was amazed albany couldnt retain even 40% of their BS/Md students and made it a large point of concern during the interview that likely led to rejection

I did BU 7yr and we had a class size of 20-30 people in my year and only lost one student due to an issue with the MCAT cutoff. Some other get kicked due to alcohol/drug issues or cheating, but retention is generally very high. It also probably helps that our med school is ranked 29 and it's a huge gamble to apply out and lose your seat and also do an extra year of undergrad. I think retention is worse at programs that are easier to get into because their students are more likely to have issues with MCAT or GPA requirements

I would check out college confidential for anyone who wants more info on these programs; I feel like their combined med forum is more active. They also have a lot of info from past applicants as to competitiveness of given programs.

Overall, I feel like most combined med programs are about as competitive as top 20 undergrads. The ones with highly ranked med schools might be as hard as a top 5 or top 10 undergrad to get into. If you're looking to build an app for one, I'd say to shoot for 98th/99th percentile on SAT/ACT, the same for any required SAT 2, and get 5 on AP exams and take all the science ones your high school offers. And shadowing + medical volunteering are pretty much mandatory; a lot of my classmates had research in high school too, and the top combined programs will likely want research and also some sort of extra non-medical EC can look good on your app.

At least for my BA/MD program, the median stats are about 3.7 GPA and 32 MCAT from what I recall, and that's with some people "slacking" because they know they only need to beat the cutoff to stay in the program. Most of my class would probably have gotten into a US MD school if they applied out, but maybe not as a highly ranked of one

I'd say to shoot for 98th/99th percentile on SAT/ACT, the same for any required SAT 2, and get 5 on AP exams and take all the science ones your high school offers.

At least for my BA/MD program, the median stats are about 3.7 GPA and 32 MCAT from what I recall, and that's with some people "slacking" because they know they only need to beat the cutoff to stay in the program. Most of my class would probably have gotten into a US MD school if they applied out, but maybe not as a highly ranked of one

But don't colleges not see your AP scores until after you are accepted and you want to apply for credits? Also, which BA/MD program are you in?

But don't colleges not see your AP scores until after you are accepted and you want to apply for credits? Also, which BA/MD program are you in?
Colleges can see your AP scores while you are applying. A bunch of APs with 5s in them is the norm/expected by many top undergrads, I imagine it's also a common part of competitive BS/MD apps

Yeah, they definitely care a lot about AP grades and exam scores; they also require specific SAT 2s, but those are lower difficulty.

My program was accelerated and didn't accept AP credits actually, so they only cared about scores as a metric. Rather not say which program, but I think it's one of the more competitive ones compared to average

Colleges can see your AP scores while you are applying. A bunch of APs with 5s in them is the norm/expected by many top undergrads, I imagine it's also a common part of competitive BS/MD apps
hmmm... that was my thought originally too but a whole bunch of seniors in my AP Computer Science class told me otherwise and they've already been accepted into top universities. So I did some more research and CollegeXpress says AP exams don't matter much and on CC i saw a lot of people writing that colleges don't see what AP scores you get unless you send them in. So technically they wouldn't know whether or not I took the exams right? Besides the two AP's that I didn't do well on aren't even related to medicine (APCS and AP World)

Yeah, they definitely care a lot about AP grades and exam scores; they also require specific SAT 2s, but those are lower difficulty.

My program was accelerated and didn't accept AP credits actually, so they only cared about scores as a metric. Rather not say which program, but I think it's one of the more competitive ones compared to average

I am also applying to accelerated programs and didn't see any requirements for AP scores. I saw requirements for SAT 2 Math and Science and I'm taking SAT 2 Math 2 and Biology E but I'm not sure what kind of minimum score they are expecting...

hmmm... that was my thought originally too but a whole bunch of seniors in my AP Computer Science class told me otherwise and they've already been accepted into top universities. So I did some more research and CollegeXpress says AP exams don't matter much and on CC i saw a lot of people writing that colleges don't see what AP scores you get unless you send them in. So technically they wouldn't know whether or not I took the exams right? Besides the two AP's that I didn't do well on aren't even related to medicine (APCS and AP World)

I mean you can technically self report the scores but if you've taken the corresponding classes and don't report any of your scores, that might look pretty fishy..

I am also applying to accelerated programs and didn't see any requirements for AP scores. I saw requirements for SAT 2 Math and Science and I'm taking SAT 2 Math 2 and Biology E but I'm not sure what kind of minimum score they are expecting...

AP isn't a hard requirement because schools vary with the ones they have, and not everyone can take every AP at their HS within 4 years, but they'll expect at least some if your school offers it. I would try to do every math/sci/eng AP allowed

SAT2 has official minimums at some programs from what I recall

To be honest, the programs that you are trying to get into are very hard and selective programs, simply because they are selecting brightest of applicants who they will be admitting to their medical school. You have good extracurriculars, but your GPA does seem a little concerning, assuming that its the equivalent of a 3.2 out of a 4.0 scale. You may be able to overcome that with some excellent grades on hard AP classes, but its not guaranteed, and you will definitely need a high SAT/ACT score. I applied to a few of your BA/MD programs as well as some other ones that you didn't list, and I didn't get into any one of them. I do have an older sibling who did get into a BA/MD program (one that doesn't require an MCAT score), but his high school application was WAY more solid than anything I had ever done.

4th year Orthopedic surgery resident here! Contact here or PM with questions!

Dr. Webb

To be honest, the programs that you are trying to get into are very hard and selective programs, ...

do u know of any easier programs? Because i really just want to be on a direct path, i dont care much about the ranking

You won't get into an accelerated seven year program. They are and have historically been extremely competitive. You can still, however, go to medical school with a solid plan in college.

To give you an idea of who gets accepted into these accelerated programs. One of my college friends got into the BS/MD program at our school in Pennsylvania and was like "I am way better than this" and applied to UPenn and got in there easily. So that's the caliber you would be up against.