LOW GPA/MCAT Success Stories (Posts by Nontrads Already Accepted to Med School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it.

35 years old. UG GPA=2.56, Graduate GPA: 3.75, MCAT: 29

2. Your financial and work situation.

Currently a full time medical student, so I am not only unemployed but poor as hell. But while I was in graduate school, I worked full time and took classes at night. I was a senior Research Technician/Lab Manager for a Cancer hospital in NYC.

We bought our house in Northern NJ before the Real Estate Boom and sold it before the bust so we made out nicely. Although the money is quickly running out. My wife works from home as a Proofreader which does not pay a whole heck of a lot.

3. Your family and significant other situation.

Married, 3 kids (8. 6. 3). Wife works from home as a proofreader and not making much. As a medical student with children, I learned to really make a budget and when the budget cannot support things like health insurance, you turn to assistance. Since Medicaid is based on salary, we qualified so my wife and kids got it saving us around $11,000/year. In addition, we applied for assistance with our heat and they knocked off 1/2 of our electric bill.

It may seem as though you do not deserve it, but you do. You paid into the system while working, why not take advantage and use it for what its real intention was made for. As soon as I start residency and I get full benefits we stop the assistance.

4. Your plan or your path to success.

Well, I say this a lot. This is a marathon and not a sprint. When you get there you get there. Take it one step at a time. I decided that I wanted to apply to medical school in the winter of 2002 and applied 5 years later. It is very hard, at times you wonder if it is worth it and if you are able to even do it. Ask yourself this, will you be happier?

This line will hopefully help me as I strive through my pre-med prep... " It is very hard, at times you wonder if it is worth it and if you are able to even do it. Ask yourself this, will you be happier?"
Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have read the posts, meticulously, word for word in order to absorb up each scenario.
These posts are not just inspirational but magnetic, some of the personal favorites I come back to and view again and again. I know exactly where they are by now ;)

It means to world to be able to see a mold for your future, especially if someone has gone through the same thing.
Having conversations with only yourself is hard. Doubt seeps in and lingers.

All of these words will be with me every sleepless night, every few months when the going gets hard.

Thank you ~

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3.5 graduating GPA, but AMCAS cumulative was closer to the 2.8-3.1 range (can't remember exactly) due to retaken classes. 27 MCAT. Took it one time. I thought it was good enough for the schools I was aiming for and did not want to go through the stress of studying and retaking.

Was working part time construction and going to classes at first, then switched to work study and loans to support myself and dependents - IE broke.

Girlfriend and two children
Very supportive immediate family that provide childcare among other things
4. Your plan or your path to success
1. Continue to work hard and follow my dreams and lean on family and friends for support and inspiration.
2. Become best doctor ever
3. Die smiling

Reactions: 2 users
Age and GPA
34 years old, 2.8 undergrad GPA, 4.0 postbacc GPA, 32MCAT (10,12,10)
Financial and work situation
Worked for 10 years after graduating college on the business side of industrial construction. I received several early promotions and was fairly successful. I also hated it, though. I spent most of my day doing things that I felt bad about on the way home. Nothing illegal or blatantly unethical, just increasing the bottom line often at the expense of people or companies that couldn't afford it.
Family Sig other situation
married
What I did right
I worked my ass off during the 1-year postbacc. I went in with the attitude that I couldn't fail, and anything less than an A was a failure. Prior to leaving work a regular day was 12 hours so I decided to dedicate at least that much time to school. I woke up at 5:30 mon-fri and was in class or studying until 6pm, at which point I would close the books. I was very good about not studying after 6 which left plenty of time for exercise and general play. I applied to about 10 MD schools and interviewed at 6.
What I did wrong
I overestimated the value of being very nontraditional. I thought that my success in business and leadership experiences would more than make up for the more traditional "prerequisites" (e.g., research, shadowing...). I went straight from a liberal arts degree to working at least 60 hours/week. I didn't have time to volunteer and research was the farthest thing from my mind. I left work and immediately started an intensive 1-year postbacc which also didn't leave too much time to accumulate the shadowing, volunteer hours. I managed to get in some volunteering and shadowing but not a lot. I also went into the interviews overconfident and probably arrogant. I treated them like I would have treated interviewing in the business world. This is not the business world, and it took several interviews to figure that out.
Results
I got into and am studying medicine at one of my top two schools
Conclusion
Leaving work to pursue a career in medicine was one of the toughest easiest choices I have ever made. I knew I had to do it, but I was scared as hell to jump of the cliff. I did though, and short of marrying my wife, its been the best choice of my life. Overcoming a low GPA is possible, but it's easy. I was the only one in my postbacc class with a low GPA that got an acceptance. Most people weren't willing to put in the work. My advice is to be very honest with yourself; are you willing to do what it takes? Most people probably aren't. This probably isn't a path you want to start down unless you can finish it.

Reactions: 15 users
Age and GPA
34 years old, 2.8 undergrad GPA, 4.0 postbacc GPA, 32MCAT (10,12,10)
Worked for 10 years after graduating college on the business side of industrial construction. I received several early promotions and was fairly successful. I also hated it, though. I spent most of my day doing things that I felt bad about on the way home. Nothing illegal or blatantly unethical, just increasing the bottom line often at the expense of people or companies that couldn't afford it.
married
What I did right
I worked my ass off during the 1-year postbacc. I went in with the attitude that I couldn't fail, and anything less than an A was a failure. Prior to leaving work a regular day was 12 hours so I decided to dedicate at least that much time to school. I woke up at 5:30 mon-fri and was in class or studying until 6pm, at which point I would close the books. I was very good about not studying after 6 which left plenty of time for exercise and general play. I applied to about 10 MD schools and interviewed at 6.
What I did wrong
I overestimated the value of being very nontraditional. I thought that my success in business and leadership experiences would more than make up for the more traditional "prerequisites" (e.g., research, shadowing...). I went straight from a liberal arts degree to working at least 60 hours/week. I didn't have time to volunteer and research was the farthest thing from my mind. I left work and immediately started an intensive 1-year postbacc which also didn't leave too much time to accumulate the shadowing, volunteer hours. I managed to get in some volunteering and shadowing but not a lot. I also went into the interviews overconfident and probably arrogant. I treated them like I would have treated interviewing in the business world. This is not the business world, and it took several interviews to figure that out.
Results
I got into and am studying medicine at one of my top two schools
Conclusion
Leaving work to pursue a career in medicine was one of the toughest easiest choices I have ever made. I knew I had to do it, but I was scared as hell to jump of the cliff. I did though, and short of marrying my wife, its been the best choice of my life. Overcoming a low GPA is possible, but it's easy. I was the only one in my postbacc class with a low GPA that got an acceptance. Most people weren't willing to put in the work. My advice is to be very honest with yourself; are you willing to do what it takes? Most people probably aren't. This probably isn't a path you want to start down unless you can finish it.

Congrats man!

If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you interview at? And which schools offered you an acceptance?

Age and GPA
29 years old
Undergrad cGP = 2.67, undergrad cGPA = 2.71
Post-bacc sGPA = 3.93
Overall cGPA = 3.12, overall sGPA = 3.47
MCAT = 36

Spent the year after graduating from undergrad to travel abroad and work in cafes/bars. Moved back to the States and worked in non-standard natural science research (not bio, chem, etc.) for 6 years as a research assistant.

Single, no dependents neither 2-legged nor 4-legged

What I did right
I busted my butt during my post-bacc to prove to adcoms that I could handle the rigor of med school. Like the previous poster, anything less than an A was a waste of time and money, and thus not acceptable. In 5 semesters (fall, spring, summer, fall, spring) I took the required bio and chem classes, as well as genetics, biochem, and cell bio. I didn't need to take any math, physics, or English because those were covered by my undergrad major. I took the extra bio courses to boost my sGPA further and also to show that I could do very well in upper-division classes. I continued volunteering but dropped my work hours to part-time. I kept up with my hobbies as well because that’s what kept me sane.

Since I’d been out of school for a while, I had a story to tell and I made it good. I put my undergraduate grades into context (nothing extraordinary…I was young and stupid) and wove a tale about my path to medical school. For my personal statement, I picked a few activities and seminal moments and described how they led me to pursue a career in medicine.

I had to reapply because I didn’t get in the first time. My second application was nearly identical to the first, with some minor grammatical edits to my personal statement and a rearrangement of activities in AMCAS. For the second cycle, I submitted my primary the first day it opened and got all of my secondaries submitted within 2 weeks of receiving them. Thus, I was complete at nearly all schools before Labor Day. I tailored all my secondary responses to each school’s mission (research-heavy schools got my research achievements while community-service schools got my “save the world” spiel). The same went for interviews. I ended up getting accepted into my top choice.

What I did wrong
I was placed on a lot of waitlists between my two application cycles and I attribute most of that to poor interviewing. I didn’t exude confidence or enthusiasm during my interview days because I didn’t believe in selling myself. I still think that actions speak louder than words in life, but that is not the case for medical school interviews. You have a very limited amount of time to make a good impression so sell yourself as much as you can. It’s expected!

Although my primary application from the first cycle was submitted relatively early (verified by early August), I took my time submitting secondary applications. I didn’t get most of them in until mid-September or even October, which is way too late. The first year I received 2 interview invitations, while my second cycle (remember, identical application) got me 7 interviews. Timing is key!

Lastly, even though I was a research assistant for 6 years, I didn’t publish any papers until several months before leaving for medical school. I know that hurt me for the research-heavy schools, so I could’ve done that a bit better.

Results
I was accepted to my top choice US MD program.

Conclusion
I’m a firm believer in being able to accomplish anything with a lot of hard work and some time. If you want to do medicine but your undergrad grades were crap, you can make it happen. It might take a few years but it’ll happen. Focus on your grades and MCAT first and then add other activities if you can handle them. Do things outside of school to keep yourself sane because becoming a doctor is a long road. You can’t burn out as a pre-med otherwise you won’t make it.

As for applications, apply broadly and early. My cGPA was below the 10th percentile at nearly all the schools I applied to. On the other hand, my MCAT was in the top 10th percentile of those schools. So I applied everywhere, focusing my applications on schools that looked past raw numbers. Submit your primary application by July 4th and your secondaries by Labor Day. Also, tailor your secondary answers as well as your interview responses to the mission of the school. Be shameless in your self-promotion even if it hurts your soul to do that (it did for me).

Reactions: 16 users
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. You all are amazing <3

***First of all, to those of you with low GPA or MCAT: your dream is still possible! It may take some years to get there, so try to enjoy the journey as much as possible. Forget the naysayers, you can DO IT!! I started out with a sub 3.0 GPA and have been accepted into med school.

I'm in my late 20's. Started off with a GPA from undergrad of cGPA of 2.9 (NON-science major). Due to doing well in community college classes for my pre-reqs, about 38 credits, I ended with:

cGPA ~ 3.2-3.3 and sGPA ~3.7-3.9 (depending on whether it was AMCAS or AACOMAS)

MCAT 31 (BS 10, PS 8, VR 13)

Was very lucky to have minimal loans from undergrad. Started off working insanely low paying jobs in health care related/quasi related fields. Sometimes worked 2 or 3 jobs just to pay the bills. BUT I really liked my work with patients, and one of my low paying jobs ended up leading to a better paying one after a couple years so I could support myself while studying for the MCAT (it was not going to be feasible to be working 60-80 hours a week just to barely make ends meet AND study for the MCAT). But before I got the better paying job (quasi health care related), I was working so many hours per week, including lots of overnights, AND taking classes. But it really was fine because unlike many non-trads, I had no huge loans, no children, etc. I was just responsible for supporting myself, and although I lived with a significant other and sharing an apt made it more possible, we split everything cost-wise down the middle. I did accrue some loans from community college, but it wasn’t a staggering amount.

EDIT: got into an SMP, did it for 2 months, and after I got into med school I dropped out. To save money. Took on $20k at least in loans. Not sure if it was worth it but I did get a peek at med school life. That was useful but I doubt I needed the SMP for getting into DO schools.

Long term significant other who really did not want to move from our area

Start from the ground up. I think what helped me immensely was my extensive patient care work (3+ years of it). That and doing decently on the MCAT.

I started with an orderly training program that would allow me to work with patients. The whole thing cost like $1,000 and 100+ hours of training. Very minimal considering what great commitments go into training of a lot of health care jobs (LPN, surgical tech, medical assistant, etc).

I worked very entry level, low paying health care related jobs that didn’t even require a high school degree, and many of my friends and family thought I was crazy. It was during this time I started to take pre-reqs at a local community college. Even though I knew deep down that I wanted to be a doctor, I was afraid for many years that I wouldn’t be able to get there or that I wasn’t smart enough. I didn’t tell people my plan for years, until more of the things fell into place, and the whole thing seemed more “real” like getting jobs with doctors, and finally doing decently on the MCAT.

For me personally, experience was everything. Once you work in a health care job for a year, you have more opportunities to get more and better ones. Plus, it was enjoyable for me (although some of it was not glamorous such as personal care and toileting care for elderly adults). The jobs that helped the most, though, were those in which I worked with physicians because when you write your essays and do your interviews, people want to know if you know what you’re getting yourself into. It takes time to get there (obtain a job with a physician) for most people I would assume, as it did for me. But starting from the ground up (i.e. very basic, entry level quasi health care jobs with patients) really opened doors for me.

It’s been almost 4 years since I started the journey to medical school, but I got into my top choice D.O. school on my first application cycle. I applied very broadly to a lot of DO schools, and only a couple M.D. ones. Got some DO interviews as of early/mid October, but since I found out early about my ideal school, I will be withdrawing my other apps. It only takes one acceptance...

I used to come on this thread to read the stories very early in my journey to get into med school, so I hope this can "inspire" those of you thinking about entering the field. Have confidence and make it happen!!!!

**EDIT: I hired a service to help me with my application (activities, primary and secondary essays, and interview prep) and it was immensely valuable, in my opinion.
***EDIT2: the service is called Med School Coach and I got one of their "packages" (bronze, silver, etc). It is definitely expensive. But they let you pay in installments. To me it was well worth the credit card debt. In fact I think I got a credit card solely for this purpose... No regrets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping to one day write one of these and now I finally can! So here we go..

A lot of this information has probably already been said somewhere on these forums but I think confirmation is important.

Age and GPA

27 years old, non-URM, cGPA: 3.41 sGPA: 3.45 MCAT: 28
Spent 5 years as a Naval Officer following graduation from college.
Single (I don't know how you married people do it)
What I did right
-After leaving college I was fairly confident I wanted to become a physician one day. I never lost sight of that goal but ultimately knew that my time in the military was an intangible that would also help me down the line. So what did I do? I completely forgot about being a doctor and enjoyed where I was at in my life - which was not going to medical school. I think this really is what helped me in the long run. It is easy to show passion when it comes naturally and your not doing things just to "check the box." I will say that my application didn't really have anything spectacular in it other than being in the military. Since I graduated college: I did not volunteer, I had zero clinical experience (with the exception of some shadowing) and I did not conduct any research. My 5 years leading up to being accepted were spent doing things I was passionate about and not trying to fulfill some made up requirements. This is key - I can only imagine that medical schools are ultimately looking for passionate individuals which is easily displayed if you are doing something you enjoy.
-Submitted my application EARLY. I only applied once so I don't have any other data points to compare but I imagine this played a large role in being successful early on. I submitted my application the first day AMCAS was open and did not sit on a secondary for longer than a couple days. If you have below average stats, this is not an option. You should have everything (LORs, PS, pre written secondaries etc.) ready to go before the cycle even starts or your wrong.
-Apply broadly. I applied to over 25 MD programs and about 5 DO programs. Interestingly enough, the only schools that have been interested in my application are MD programs.
-Study something in college that your interested in. I majored in Biomedical Engineering in college which I absolutely loved. Miraculously, this also knocked out all of my pre-requisites for medical school but more importantly I was able to reflect my academic interests genuinely during interviews because I studied something that I loved.
-Have a hobby. At all of my interviews the applicants introduce themselves and say some interesting fact about themselves. Turns out, most of the facts were not interesting at all. We are human, humans do things for fun, be human. I windsurf, a lot, I talked about this in all of my interviews.
-Be genuine during your interviews. I can't stress this enough. Don't tell the schools what they want to hear because then your probably sounding like every other applicant that rolls through. Have opinions and display those opinions intelligently. Most the interviewers seemed refreshed by this approach.
-Being a veteran, I realize that this story might not be the standard medical school route nor reflective of most applicants. But, I think a lot of the principles remain the same regardless of the person.
What I did wrong
I wish that I had studied more for the MCAT. I think I probably would have more options available if I had scored in the 30+ range. Another thing I would like to mention are LORs because this was a hurdle I had to jump over quite often. I ended up having only 3 LORs, only one of which was from a science professor. I wouldn't stress it if you have been out of school for a while but make sure you contact the schools and tell them you plan on not using a committee or the standard "2 science 1 non science" letters. MOST schools were ok with this and for the ones that weren't I quickly scratched off my list and moved on.
Results
I currently have 4 II (all MD), 1 MD acceptance and 1 wait list. The cycle is obviously not over yet so who knows what else will happen in the coming months. If you have specific questions on where I applied, interviews, acceptances feel free to PM.
Conclusion
-Don't be a box checker
-Live your life and be passionate about what you do - even if it is not currently medical school
-Be on top of your applications. If you go through this process passively you will not be successful.

Good luck to everyone! Keep following the dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
late 20's, AACOMAS (osteopathic) cumulative and science gpa are both within +/- 0.1 of 3.2, my MCAT was a 32
good now, but on public assistance during my postbac 'cause i was poor as hell then
^^

I'm so happy to finally post here! This is gonna be hella long, since it was a helluva journey

after college I landed a job absolutely loathed it. I came home every day bitter and exhausted. at some point, I just kind of broke, and quit. in my application personal statement, I make the quitting sound more pre-meditated than it really was, like I knew I was going to go back to school and do a postbac. but at the time, I had no idea what I was doing. In hindsight, I did know I wanted to work in healthcare

I did know, however, that I needed to go back to school and fix what had gone so wrong in undergrad. I had barely graduated college, and my overall GPA was a 2.5, my science GPA was probably around a 1.8. Also, I had a ****ton of credits, 5 years worth, since I took a year abroad before college and transferred in those credits.

at that point I was a resident of the state I was living in, and could enroll at a state college and take classes for almost nothing. I started planning on nursing, since I was sure I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell for med school. my academic self esteem was shot to ****. I enrolled in 5 courses, all upper level science plus gen chem (which I had already taken, twice, and failed once, got a D the second time. god bless the DO grade replacement policy). I got all A's! :woot:

I started gaining some hard-won self confidence. I also was doing some clinical volunteering, and had to admit to myself that nursing was not what I really wanted. this is the point when the idea of med school started flitting across my mind. I began thinking back to what I had always wanted to do, which was medicine. I found a journal entry from back in high-school saying I wanted to be a doctor one day. I guess I must have completely pushed it out of my mind because I didn't think I could do it.

next, I met with my schools pre-med advisor. who was a truly mean spirited person. also certainly a poor advisor. he looked at my new list of A's and scoffed. literally. he scoffed at me. he said my looooong list of poor grades would not be overcome with a postbac. he said maybe, maybeee if I got a 35+ on my MCAT I would avoid the reject pile at a handful of school. he told me to apply to the Carib, and he said he wasn't even sure about that for a candidate as poor as myself. after that meeting I cried in the bathroom for about an hour. but, I didn't give up. I was also pretty suspicious of him for advising me to apply to Carib schools. this is horrible advice. do. not. go. Caribbean.

I enrolled in organic chemistry next. I got my first test back. I had failed. badly. holy crap. not good. knew if I failed this, my chances would be shot. I studied a variety of ways, for hours and hours, until, at some point, it clicked. I got a (verrrry hard-earned) C- in organic I. I got an A in organic II.

I sailed through the rest of my 2 year postbac, getting pretty much straight A's (and retook organic I for an A)

Thanks to DO school grade replacement policy, I pulled up both my cumulative and science GPAs above a 3.0, and applied. I just found out last week that I got into one of my top choice DO schools. I cried in my car when I found out.
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

moral of the story:
even the worst undergrad grades can be remediated with enough time and hard work.
your pre-med adivsior might not be familiar with the concept of a postbac and/or reinvention. ....don't drink that haterade, it is obviously possible from all the posts in this thread.
don't be afraid of DO schools! they are great for a variety of reasons, which I will let you find out for yourselves

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users
I'm sure there have been a few pple who have been accepted with a "lowish" gpa or MCAT this cycle. Does anyone else have any updates?

I'm sure there have been a few pple who have been accepted with a "lowish" gpa or MCAT this cycle. Does anyone else have any updates?

Yes I was accepted to medical school today with a 2.7 cGPA and a 2.87 sGPA. 34 MCAT. Tons of volunteer experience and stuff though. I will write a more detailed post later :)

Reactions: 24 users
Yes I was accepted to medical school today with a 2.7 cGPA and a 2.87 sGPA. 34 MCAT. Tons of volunteer experience and stuff though. I will write a more detailed post later :)

A huge hug and CONGRATULATIONS HH!!! :soexcited:
These kinds of threads and posts are some of my absolute FAVORITES here at SDN!!!
You're awesome. Kick butt in MS and please post updates. Your post actually made my day. Thank you! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted today.

My stats are: 2.96 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 25 MCAT (8,8,9)
Non-trad, 7 years as a respiratory therapist, military experience, solid volunteering and ECs. Post-Bac was a solid upward trend, not straight As but did well.

Accepted to a DO program. I may have had a rough academic history but I think I was lucky someone took the time to see my work and military experience and give me a chance.

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted to one of my top state schools.
1) Age, GPA, and MCAT
28, 3.7 cGPA/sGPA, 28 MCAT (7,10,11)
2) Financial and Work Situation
Been supporting myself for several years now. Currently working at a pharmaceutical company and as a nurse. Will be tough to leave financial stability.
3) Family situation
Single. No kids. Just started dating somebody. Trying not to get too ahead of myself and worry about them wanting to continue while in medical school.
4) Path to success
I talked with a lot of people to really confirm I wanted to leave nursing to pursue medicine. That process helped give me the motivation to push through a really tough application year. I was really disappointed in my MCAT score because I had been getting above 30 on practice tests and had never gotten a 7 on PS. Unfortunately, I took the MCAT in August due to work and schedule constraints so my advice to anybody is get everything in line and take the MCAT early! I had already signed up thanks to some bad advice from an MCAT tutor I had reached out to and only stumbled on this forum after the fact. I met with the director of admissions and a pre-med advisor at my home institution to discuss any holes in my application. Volunteering and research had taken a slight back burner when I started working full-time. I found a way to juggle adding those in and feel strongly that I managed two jobs, training for an Ironman, and volunteering because I was really passionate about where I chose to volunteer.

I have been on SDN for years and following success stories and am so happy to finally be able to post my own!

27 years old, 3.24 overall GPA, around 3.3 science GPA, and 35 MCAT

My wife and I work full time and living within our means (we don't make much). I worked nearly full time through my undergrad and full time through my post-bacc. I used my tax return money and a generous gift from my former employer (who was a doctor) to pay for most of the application cycle.

I am married, with a set of twins (10 months old). Most people think we were crazy for planning on having kids while preparing for me to go to medical school but I am so glad we went for it. My wife is incredibly supportive, and we are definitely a team. It was really important to me that this was both of our decisions so that she would not resent the effort and time I had to put in, and after lots of talking it over, the goal became ours together. It's as if the acceptance is for the both of us. We have a mostly supportive extended family and I just received an acceptance to a school right near where my sister and her children live.

I graduated with a crappy undergrad gpa and had completely given up on going to medical school. It has been a dream of mine since I was a child but I had a rough time in college (mostly personal issues affecting my performance, not difficulty) and thought medicine would be forever out of reach. Two years after working a job I absolutely hated, and spending lots of time volunteering, I decided to go back and do a post-bacc (in fact, this forum gave me hope!). We moved across the country to Cambridge so I could do the Harvard Extension post-bacc, which allowed me to work full time (classes are at night), was cheap, and pretty well regarded. I I finished a year and a half with 4 "A"s and 3 "A-" taking pretty much a full load. It was difficult but I loved it. Taking the previous couple years off of school was really important; it allowed me to re-focus, define what was really important to me, and helped me mature so I could really succeed when I went back. I took my MCAT at the end of the first year of school so Ochem, Bio, and Phys was all very fresh. Up until this point, I wouldn't change anything that I did after I graduated. However, I applied right after that first year of the post-bac and made a lot of mistakes. I did not apply right away. I think I submitted my primary about a month after it opened. DO NOT DO THIS. Apply the first day it opens. I also took too long to get secondaries written and sent out so I wasn't complete at schools until almost Oct. I did get one interview that first cycle but I was waitlisted, and never got in. Oh, i also did not have very good readers look over my personal statement and it was not nearly as good as I wanted it to be.
The next year I fixed my mistakes. I had a few people totally gut my personally statement and it turned out so much better. In fact, multiple interviewers complemented it. I also applied the hour the application opened and spent no more than two days getting out each secondary. Out of 5 II so far, I have received 1 acceptance, 2 wait lists, 1 I am waiting on, and I'm pulling out of one interview. This process has felt so long and so stressful and the uncertainty is so hard. But it can be done!

Accepted at 2 MD, 2 DO schools

25yo, 3.43 undergrad, 3.64 grad. MCATs 35 (2010) and 32 (2014)
I am a full time "special projects coordinator" at an FQHC in the Bronx, and I make (almost) enough money to support myself and apply, the rest I get from random consulting/writing
Single, does a cat count though?
I graduated not only with a meh GPA, but also an academic integrity (plagiarism) incident during my senior year. I thought that was going to be it in terms of medicine, but what really saved me was taking the time to collect some really good feedback from advisors and peers, buckling down, and taking steps to not avoid, but put myself back into that stressful environment as evidence that I can perform well. The 2010-2011 application cycle was a no-go for me (3 interviews: 20 schools) and towards the end of it I walked down the hall of my school to the physiology department to ask about graduate programs. I completed an MS in Medical Physiology over the course of 2011-2012, and spent the next year working for my EMT-B, doing a bit-o-shadowing, serving as an AmeriCorps navigator, and reapplying.

Due to some confusion with update letters, late applications, and lackluster writing (I can see that in retrospect), I also did not get in during 2012-2013 (4 interviews, 22 schools). That was a very negative time for me, both because I felt I had put so much in, but also for now needing to retake the MCAT in 2014. I took a job at a city hospital in NY, hired an application coach to keep me on track and get some really good feedback (again, essential), and tried to take things day-by-day, because at some points it seemed like such a long, uphill battle.

I am happy to say that I've had much more success this time for being humble and earnest about the whole thing instead of succumbing to anger. I have (inconceivably) a choice in schools to make in the coming months! I want to echo a lot of what was said here (loving this thread), but also reinforce that even a major negative incident has a discrete, surmountable value that can be overcome, re: my AI issue.

Any updates on the people who got accepted four to five years ago at the beginning of this thread?

I can't believe that I never posted on here before.

1. 25 YEARS when I started Medical school. Now 36
cGPA 3.85; sGPA 3.5 - MCAT 21

2. I was an LPN from AGE 19-24 then finished my RN/BSN at 24. Made around 12-30k yearly as an undergraduate.
I worked part time all thru undergrad and full time after I graduated from my BSN. After graduation I took the Kaplan review course over 8 weeks in the summer while working full time hours. As an RN I was making about 50k which was awesome for a 24-25 year old at the time!!

3. I was single thru most of undergrad and single thru medical school and residency. Got married last year.

4. My plan to success was initially to take the shortest route. I knew that I always wanted to be a doc, but didn't think I had the stamina to last thru 8 years of school and then training. I knew of no doctors growing up and no one to advise me. My dad immigrated to this country in his late thirties and became an RN at age 42 or so and he was the closest thing to a doctor I knew. I joined the military right after high school and became an LPN to help pay for my college because I didn't know how else to pay for college. Was a US army reservist the whole time and never deployed. Soon as I got out of training in the military, I started Junior college at age 19. Got my associates in science in less than two years and transferred to a private university which I hated as the kids where mostly entitled, privileged sheltered ones who had no idea what the struggle of life was about. I changed colleges and changed my major from Biology back to Nursing because I did research and realized that there was a decent chance I couldn't get into medical school and needed a backup plan if I didn't which would have been grad school in nursing.
Anyway, finished my BSN at the same time continuing my prerequisites at a different school and working 24 hrs a week to pay bills. Took the summer Kaplan course, and MCAT in August. Got a very low score. I wasn't going to apply that year but my friends asked me, what did I really have to lose as in TX the applications were centralized and cheap. So I applied late to four schools in September, got one rejection, didn't fill out the secondaries for one school and never heard from the other. I got a call for a last minute interview as someone cancelled their interview at one school. I drove there within 48 hours of the call, interivewed and got in!!!!

Thank God I lived in TX. I got into a very ethnically diverse school and that really helped my confidence to see so many others who looked like me, a URM

I am now an anesthesiologist making good money, dealing with a lot of the bull**** in medicine, but it sure beats being an RN!!!!

5. What I didn't do right?

Applied too late and missed many deadlines.
Did not apply broadly.
Did not study enough for the MCAT as I was working full time and I know I now that I could have done a hell of a lot more with my time spent studying.

I gave myself three tries/three years to get in and in the end only needed one. My biggest obstacle was the MCAT and had I had to retake it I was going to re-strategize and do much better. But my life experience spoke and good grades spoke for themselves. Never had any problems with the standardized tests in med school or any tests for that matter except the senior year OSCE.

In the end, I took the LONG SCENIC route, and am here living a good life today because of patience and perseverance.

Reactions: 8 users
Well I don't want to give specifics and I hate bragging that I did get accepted but this does feel so surreal and I want to help others with the information that I got in. I am a 25-27 yr old white male with a 3.4-3.6 cGPA and 3.7-3.8 sGPA. Huge upward trend since my sophomore GPA was a 2.8 and luckily I didn't take any science classes. I only received one B in all my science classes. MCAT was 25-29. VR was the bummer. LizzyM 64.

I was in the military and they paid for my tuition through the GI Bill. I worked at numerous gigs throughout undergrad as a store manager at a nutrition shop to working the clinic at one of my doctors that I shadowed who hired me. I also volunteered a bunch during this time too.

Single with an SO that has been off and on for 3 years now, but about to pop the big question which she has been waiting for. It has been rough through undergrad since I really am devoted to my job and school performance. Plus she had other troubles going on that were interfering with our relationship, but we are doing very well now obviously.

I have been accepted to my number one choice with 2 other schools in post-secondary mode. Applied only to 3 MD schools. My path has been long, but very humbling also. I learned to take every step one bit at a time and to never panic. I have a huge faith in God and I believe he will always guide me on my path in which he did. Be yourself and be unique with everyone you encounter because you never know if that next person will be your friend for years to come or offer you a helping hand.

Reactions: 1 users
I do not come to SDN much now. I just saw this thread. I applied a while back and should have posted ealrier. Hope it helps provide come encouragement.

Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it.
Age 28 when I applied. Undergraduate GPA 3.3. Graduate GPA 3.7. MCAT 23R (7, 7, 9). I might have taken the last or one of the last paper MCATs.

Your financial and work situation.

No loans when I applied. Worked as a researcher with lots of publications which might or might not have helped.

Your family and significant other situation.

Married without children at the time of application. Three kids by the end of my medical training.

Your plan or your path to success.

I applied once to 10 U.S. schools. Statistically, you can see the MCAT was the major issue. Back then, the MCAT was only offered twice each year and I took the late (I think August) MCAT and so I had already applied by the time the score came out. I had actually never taken a single physics course in my life when I took it so you can see what happened on the PS section. Not sure what happened on verbal! I applied only to allopathic schools as I did not know much about osteopathic medicine (I started an application then stopped after it became clear I did not know anything about the field).

After my MCAT, I knew it was game over. The rejections started coming in (it did not stop all the schools sending me secondaries and taking all my money, though: one school actually rejected me the same day as they cashed my $100 secondary fee!) I had already enrolled in the two physics classes I was missing and so it was a really discouraging time for me. Still, there was a glimmer of hope when I was placed in a pre-interview HOLD status by one school. I met with the admissions officer and was told I realistically would be rejected (this was my top choice). I asked what I should do to redeem myself, and I was told the obvious--retake the MCAT. I thanked her for the advice and she thanked me for 'taking it so well'. The months rolled on, and I decided I had put so much effort into this cycle that I was not meant to be a doctor., In my mine, I had moved on. Then, mid November, I received an e-mail from a respected private school for interview. I thought it was a mistake so I called to clarify and they asked me if I was calling to give up the interview spot! I attended that interview, then e-mailed my top choice (where I was on HOLD) and said I had just interviewed at X school and was holding out for their school--I received an interview at the second school a week later (I told them I would take their first cancellation). As I was driving to the second school for the interview, the first school called me and admitted me--after 2 weeks--no waitlist. I was on cloud nine. The second school admitted me after a month. I payed my deposit for the second school. A third MD school invited me for interview a few weeks later (their GPA average was 3.8 and average MCAT was 33). I did not attend the third interview.

Years later, I asked the admissions officer at the school I was eventually attended how on earth I ever made it in. She said simply: "Friendly, you were just SO sure you could do it"). I am an attending physician now.

Things I should have done.
1. Taken ALL the missing prerequisite classes before the MCAT. Don't ever do what I did--even if you think you are a good test taker. A year is not a long time to wait.
2. Taken a prep. course. Most kids do and you are at a disadvantage if you do not.
3. Waited until I was ready to take the MCAT with a stable practice score. I bounced all over the place: low of 21, high of 32, mean of I think 26.

Things I did well:
1. Did my homework on all the schools and only applied to those if I knew (even anecdotal evidence) that they have accepted long shots (with the exception of that third MD school, of course).
2. Knew who I was. Did not apologize for my MCAT. Explained what I think I did wrong on the MCAT when it was raised (at school #2 only).
3. Wrote update letters to all schools before and after the interview.
4. Wrote to my top choice after the interview, telling them why they are a good fit for me and how I would honor their commitment to me if I was admitted.
5. Recognized my weakness was standardized exams and worked very hard in medical school to compensate for the deficiency. If you talk to me, you'll think I am amazingly smart because I read so much and study twice as hard but I will confess that I know I studied 2-3 times more for many of the med school exams than some people who were scoring better than me. That's okay--it's not a strength of mine. I did what I had to do to survive.
6. Prayed to God daily and asked that He guide me.

I passed all of my medical school classes without remediation and scored at or around the mean on the USMLE exams. I worked SOLIDLY in medical school. I was a Caucasian applicant who did not apply in a 'disadvantaged' category. I am a statistical outlier, I know, but I am very real. Hopefully this post will encourage some people not to quit.

Reactions: 13 users

Congratulations!... Way to go!

This thread is really awesome. I know that I don't know any of you guys/gals who have posted on here, but I am so proud of all of you. And I am so humbled that I am FINALLY able to share my success story. Here we go:

I was 25 when I first applied, then again at 26 and again now at 27. I will be 28 when I start school this fall.
In undergrad I had a cGPA around 3.5 with about a 3.7 sGPA. I continued into my master's program (which took me 5 years) and earned a 4.0! WOO!
I took the MCAT twice (in 2012 and 2014) and got a 28 each time--the individual scores in each section went up and down a point or two, but no sections under 8.

I spent most of my undergrad and grad years cycling between working full-time and part-time at a video rental store. I currently teach undergraduate Human Anatomy labs at the university from which I earned my masters degree, and I work nearly full-time as a unit clerk in the emergency department at the hospital in my city (yes we only have one hospital). I make just enough to get by, but I'm trying to pick up shifts and save up for moving expenses.

I have a SO who is doing an MFA in literature and has one year left in her degree after I move. She'll be applying to PhD programs at MSU, UofM and Wayne State to hopefully start school when I'm entering M2. I also have a very lazy and cuddly 7 year old cat and a big goofy 6 year old black lab/great dane mix. They'll be coming to school with me, so I better start looking for doggy day care :)

It's been a long and frustrating one, but perseverance has finally paid off. I'll try to make a long story short...

During my first application cycle I applied to 7MD programs--I learned later that was not enough. This wasn't what brought me down though... In the fall of that year I got a DUI and after informing all of my schools I only received a very late waitlist interview at MCW. I was told that I was placed in the lower half of the waitlist. I knew that cycle was over and I started thinking about what I could do differently.

The next cycle I was able to add about 300 hours of community service and shadowing to my application. I tweaked my essays a bit and applied to 14MD schools. Again I heard not a peep until a late season interview at CMU. Again I was waitlisted and I pretty much knew the cycle was over.

Throughout that 2nd application cycle I continued shadowing various physicians for 6 hrs/week every week. I studied for the MCAT for 4 months (and still scored the same... ugh). I took this entire last summer off of work to cram for finishing my masters and defending my thesis (which I was successful in... woo!). Because I finished in August, and I could live/work here for 12 months before matriculation, I finally switched my residency to Michigan. This allowed me a MUCH greater number of schools to be considered IS. Also, I applied to a total of 21 schools with a pretty even mix of MD and DO programs. I received and completed secondaries for all of the schools and I've interviewed at 2 (waitlisted by one of them now).

I received my first acceptance in December to MSU CHM, and just this past week I received an acceptance call from MSU COM. Now I need to weigh the MD vs DO decision in my head between the two MSU programs. I'll be heading there in a few weeks to tour the campuses and meet some faculty and students at each of the schools.

Determination, dedication, perseverance, insanity... whatever you call it, I've finally done it! I got in! I am absolutely thrilled and I cannot wait to continue on my journey of becoming a physician.

I made a new account since my numbers are super identifiable.

I've been waiting to post on this site for a long, long time. I hope it inspires someone who is feeling that medical school is out of reach.

Age 30s
Final cGPA 2.1 (amcas)
Final sGPA 2.7 (amcas)
Dropped out and took a ten year break
Last 40 hours = 3.8 (included in aforementioned GPAs)
MCAT = 28
Worked full time in public service in leadership position

What I did right:
I grew up and busted my butt getting the best grades I could despite work conflicts (only sub A grades were when work made me miss labs).
Also, I ignored advisors and SDN members who told me I would never be a doctor and to pick a different dream.

What I did wrong:
Didn't quit work and go to school full time. Also didn't allot enough time to study for the MCAT with 50+ hours of work a week and 3 science classes that semester, so it wasn't where it could have been.

Results:
Accepted at every school that didn't auto screen me for GPA.

Moral:
NEVER. NEVER give up on your dreams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 25 users

I've been waiting to post on this site for a long, long time. I hope it inspires someone who is feeling that medical school is out of reach.

Age 30s
Final cGPA 2.1 (amcas)
Final sGPA 2.7 (amcas)
MCAT = 28

What I did right:
I grew up and busted my butt getting the best grades I could despite work conflicts (only sub A grades were when work made me miss labs).
Also, I ignored advisors and SDN members who told me I would never be a doctor and to pick a different dream.

What I did wrong:
Didn't quit work and go to school full time. Also didn't allot enough time to study for the MCAT with 50+ hours of work a week and 3 science classes that semester, so it wasn't where it could have been.

Results:

Moral:

Did you retake undergrad classes or do grad classes? and where did you apply MD or DO?

I do not come to SDN much now. I just saw this thread. I applied a while back and should have posted ealrier. Hope it helps provide come encouragement.

Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it.
Age 28 when I applied. Undergraduate GPA 3.3. Graduate GPA 3.7. MCAT 23R (7, 7, 9). I might have taken the last or one of the last paper MCATs.

Your financial and work situation.

No loans when I applied. Worked as a researcher with lots of publications which might or might not have helped.

Your family and significant other situation.

Married without children at the time of application. Three kids by the end of my medical training.

Your plan or your path to success.

I applied once to 10 U.S. schools. Statistically, you can see the MCAT was the major issue. Back then, the MCAT was only offered twice each year and I took the late (I think August) MCAT and so I had already applied by the time the score came out. I had actually never taken a single physics course in my life when I took it so you can see what happened on the PS section. Not sure what happened on verbal! I applied only to allopathic schools as I did not know much about osteopathic medicine (I started an application then stopped after it became clear I did not know anything about the field).

After my MCAT, I knew it was game over. The rejections started coming in (it did not stop all the schools sending me secondaries and taking all my money, though: one school actually rejected me the same day as they cashed my $100 secondary fee!) I had already enrolled in the two physics classes I was missing and so it was a really discouraging time for me. Still, there was a glimmer of hope when I was placed in a pre-interview HOLD status by one school. I met with the admissions officer and was told I realistically would be rejected (this was my top choice). I asked what I should do to redeem myself, and I was told the obvious--retake the MCAT. I thanked her for the advice and she thanked me for 'taking it so well'. The months rolled on, and I decided I had put so much effort into this cycle that I was not meant to be a doctor., In my mine, I had moved on. Then, mid November, I received an e-mail from a respected private school for interview. I thought it was a mistake so I called to clarify and they asked me if I was calling to give up the interview spot! I attended that interview, then e-mailed my top choice (where I was on HOLD) and said I had just interviewed at X school and was holding out for their school--I received an interview at the second school a week later (I told them I would take their first cancellation). As I was driving to the second school for the interview, the first school called me and admitted me--after 2 weeks--no waitlist. I was on cloud nine. The second school admitted me after a month. I payed my deposit for the second school. A third MD school invited me for interview a few weeks later (their GPA average was 3.8 and average MCAT was 33). I did not attend the third interview.

Years later, I asked the admissions officer at the school I was eventually attended how on earth I ever made it in. She said simply: "Friendly, you were just SO sure you could do it"). I am an attending physician now.

Things I should have done.
1. Taken ALL the missing prerequisite classes before the MCAT. Don't ever do what I did--even if you think you are a good test taker. A year is not a long time to wait.
2. Taken a prep. course. Most kids do and you are at a disadvantage if you do not.
3. Waited until I was ready to take the MCAT with a stable practice score. I bounced all over the place: low of 21, high of 32, mean of I think 26.

Things I did well:
1. Did my homework on all the schools and only applied to those if I knew (even anecdotal evidence) that they have accepted long shots (with the exception of that third MD school, of course).
2. Knew who I was. Did not apologize for my MCAT. Explained what I think I did wrong on the MCAT when it was raised (at school #2 only).
3. Wrote update letters to all schools before and after the interview.
4. Wrote to my top choice after the interview, telling them why they are a good fit for me and how I would honor their commitment to me if I was admitted.
5. Recognized my weakness was standardized exams and worked very hard in medical school to compensate for the deficiency. If you talk to me, you'll think I am amazingly smart because I read so much and study twice as hard but I will confess that I know I studied 2-3 times more for many of the med school exams than some people who were scoring better than me. That's okay--it's not a strength of mine. I did what I had to do to survive.
6. Prayed to God daily and asked that He guide me.

I passed all of my medical school classes without remediation and scored at or around the mean on the USMLE exams. I worked SOLIDLY in medical school. I was a Caucasian applicant who did not apply in a 'disadvantaged' category. I am a statistical outlier, I know, but I am very real. Hopefully this post will encourage some people not to quit.
This is so encouraging!! Go you

Age 30s
Final cGPA 2.1 (amcas)
Final sGPA 2.7 (amcas)
MCAT = 28

What I did right:

What I did wrong:

Results:

Moral:

Do you feel comfortable listing the schools that accepted you?
How was the interview process for you? (Any discussions about your GPA before you did the 40 hours of strong work?)

did that 2.87 sGPA include math too?

Age 30s
Final cGPA 2.1 (amcas)
Final sGPA 2.7 (amcas)
MCAT = 28

What I did right:

What I did wrong:

Results:

Moral:

I see you originally had a 2.7 sGPA. Did that include math as well or just science? And also, how did you improve it and what was it after you improved it?

did that 2.87 sGPA include math too?

I see you originally had a 2.7 sGPA. Did that include math as well or just science? And also, how did you improve it and what was it after you improved it?

Yes sGPA included Calc 1, 2, 3, and stats. I improved it by changing everything about my life: intention, focus, study habits, priorities, social life, etc. I had a 4.00 sGPA for 46 BCPM credits which raised my 1.7 sGPA to a 2.87 sGPA. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes sGPA included Calc 1, 2, 3, and stats. I improved it by changing everything about my life: intention, focus, study habits, priorities, social life, etc. I had a 4.00 sGPA for 46 BCPM credits which raised my 1.7 sGPA to a 2.87 sGPA. Good luck.

That's great! Good for you! And were any of these BCPM credits retakes from classes you originally took in undergrad, or were they a totally different bunch of classes? Also, was the a MD or DO school you were accepted to?

That's great! Good for you! And were any of these BCPM credits retakes from classes you originally took in undergrad, or were they a totally different bunch of classes? Also, was the a MD or DO school you were accepted to?

Yes many were re-takes like Chem, Physics, Bio. MD.

41, 3.05 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA, 30 MCAT

I worked through undergrad and after as a clinical researcher.

I'm married. I have 2 kids.

I have a pretty unusual story for a medical school applicant - foster care, homelessness, lack of high school education, taking care of a mentally ill parent through college, etc. I applied disadvantaged and I think it helped to get my file read. I got 2 interviews, and got into both schools. Both schools have a deep commitment to under-served populations, and I was clear about my intention to work with the homeless, and continue research on the health issues of the homeless. Both schools also had extensive secondaries that gave me ample opportunity to explain myself. I didn't say, "Oh, woe is me." I made it clear that there were plenty of well-qualified applicants out there who'd had it way worse than me, but that I had other attributes that they might want to incorporate into their class.

I didn't do a formal post-bacc, and really didn't expect to get in. I'm still in shock, and I'm almost done with my first semester. :)
Which schools are these?

When I started medical school: 32
MCAT 24 (took MCAT three times)
Undergrad GPA 2.9 with Science GPA 2.5
1 yr Post Bacc Work 3 yrs after graduating GPA 3.8
Chem I w/lab
Organic I
Biochem
Physic w/lab

Chem II w/lab
Organic II
Organic Lab
Physics w/ lab

Worked a 32 hour week as a ward clerk/cna while taking classes

I should say that I applied 3 yrs in a row before being accepted.

Worked for 7 yrs as a CNA/Ward Clerk. Had about $300 to my name at time of acceptance. Doctor friends gave me the money to hold my space in medical school. Another friend helped pay for me to move. Loans paid the rest, lived on $1200/month

At the time just got divorced. Was dating a man who ended up moving with me from Alaska to Penn, we now have been together 10 yrs, Married 7. Had a 2yr old and a 5 yr old at time of matriculation to med school.

Had trouble the first semester of medical school - failed 4 classes. Did the second semester as a post bacc student. Started medical school again the next fall and was successful. Never failed anything after that. Passed all three levels of the boards. Wanted to be a general surgeon, was not accepted into general surgery. Scrambled into family practice - really like it and finished FP residency this past July. Now I live and work in rural Montana. Plan to get back to Alaska eventually.

To everyone out there - If I can do it, anyone can. Keep working toward that goal and even if you don't think your application is strong enough you never know until you apply.

I'm a DO and remember that DO schools tend to look at the overall picture, not just number crunch. You can do anything as a DO although most go into primary care.

Much to be said about who we become and where we go when we stand tall and push forward beyond our life adversities. Appreciate your story and perseverance! All the best and thank you for sharing :)

27 (28 when I start)

AMCAS cgpa: 3.29
AMCAS sgpa: 3.12

I took 2 science courses in the application summer so they are technically a bit higher, but this is what went to my schools.

MCAT: 28Q (10 BS, 10 VR, 8 PS)

AP Chemistry teacher at Medical Prep High School, 3rd year teacher.

Grew up in a family with an income of about 25k a year (until I was about a Sr. in high school). Currently doing decently finance wise, thankfully :)

Married for 6 years, no kids. Planning on waiting until around 35ish for kids. I'm lucky enough to have the most awesome and supportive husband in the world. :love:

Honestly, I messed up my first year of college at Duke. I had serious health and family issues, and I should have deferred a year, but I was desperate to leave for school. Things went downhill and I ended up on bed rest for about 8-9 months and had to leave school completely.

I thought my dreams of med school were done (freshman cgpa was 2.0, and since I was an engineering student I had a lot of sciences, so sgpa 1.2). My advisers told me I obviously wasn't cut out for science and should continue with what I was good at, language and writing. So when I went back to college that's what I did. I majored in German, but wasn't happy with it.

After graduating, I set my sights on trying for med school once again so I could at least be happy knowing I tried. 2 years of ft school, ft work, and tons of volunteering later, here I am.

I'm so happy with my choice to buckle down and pursue this. I've spent the last 10 years saddened by the doors I've slammed on my future, and when I got my acceptance all of that just melted away.

Oh wow, just had to go back and look at my post in this thread (saw my pic next to it, but didn't remember writing in it...it's been awhile). Reading my post brought me back to all the angst and disappointment that my undergrad and grade repair entailed, but you know what? It was worth it. If you 100% know that this is the path you want, and you're willing to put in the blood, sweat, and tears for it- it can be done. Just became happily matched to my 1st choice program this past Friday.

Also, I gotta show my husband this post. Waiting until 35 for kids? My two little munchkins say that idea didn't stick. ;)

Oh wow, just had to go back and look at my post in this thread (saw my pic next to it, but didn't remember writing in it...it's been awhile). Reading my post brought me back to all the angst and disappointment that my undergrad and grade repair entailed, but you know what? It was worth it. If you 100% know that this is the path you want, and you're willing to put in the blood, sweat, and tears for it- it can be done. Just became happily matched to my 1st choice program this past Friday.

Also, I gotta show my husband this post. Waiting until 35 for kids? My two little munchkins say that idea didn't stick. ;)

Congrats on getting in and now double congrats on a successful match!

Much to be said about who we become and where we go when we stand tall and push forward beyond our life adversities. Appreciate your story and perseverance! All the best and thank you for sharing :)
Wow, reading that. It's a 4 years old reply. Husband and I together 14 years now. Glad you found it helpful.

1. Your age and GPA and MCAT
I'm 22 years old hispanic with 23 MCAT and 3.9 gpa.

I worked about 20 hours per week during my junior year and therefore during MCAT preparation time.

I migrated when I was 16 so my family and I had financial problems and there was also the language barrier at the beginning.

4. What I did wrong or would have done differently

1st mistake- I only studied for the mcat for about 1.5 months
2nd mistake- I submitted my application before taking the test and therefore having a score
3rd mistake- Since I'm an ESL I should've started preparing for the verbal section way wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead but I underestimated it.
4th mistake- Because I wanted to apply during my junior year because I didn't want to take a gap year and end up having the whole low mcat situation, I limited my opinios of where I could apply and therefore closed many doors.

5. What I did right

During my undergrad I got a lot of medical experience as a medical scribe, did research for 2 years with a publication and many other great EC stuff. I believe my ECs , along with my story and high gpa, was what saved me.

6. Conclusion.
This past year was one of the most depressing yet happiest year of my life. I was almost about to give up my dream and convience myself I wasn't good enough for this but when you really really want soemthing and wprk hard for it , you'll get compensated at the end of the way. I receive 5 interview invites, 2 declined, 3 assisted and 2 acceptances at the end. I'm happy that I'm going to such a great school and more importantly in the U.S.. My point is not to brag about my accomplishments but to encourage those who were, are or will be in my situation. Do not give up , ever!

I'm 22 years old hispanic with 23 MCAT and 3.9 gpa.

I worked about 20 hours per week during my junior year and therefore during MCAT preparation time.

I migrated when I was 16 so my family and I had financial problems and there was also the language barrier at the beginning.

1st mistake- I only studied for the mcat for about 1.5 months
2nd mistake- I submitted my application before taking the test and therefore having a score
3rd mistake- Since I'm an ESL I should've started preparing for the verbal section way wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead but I underestimated it.
4th mistake- Because I wanted to apply during my junior year because I didn't want to take a gap year and end up having the whole low mcat situation, I limited my opinios of where I could apply and therefore closed many doors.

5. What I did right

During my undergrad I got a lot of medical experience as a medical scribe, did research for 2 years with a publication and many other great EC stuff. I believe my ECs , along with my story and high gpa, was what saved me.

6. Conclusion.
This past year was one of the most depressing yet happiest year of my life. I was almost about to give up my dream and convience myself I wasn't good enough for this but when you really really want soemthing and wprk hard for it , you'll get compensated at the end of the way. I receive 5 interview invites, 2 declined, 3 assisted and 2 acceptances at the end. I'm happy that I'm going to such a great school and more importantly in the U.S.. My point is not to brag about my accomplishments but to encourage those who were, are or will be in my situation. Do not give up , ever!

You got good experience and your GPA is just about perfect though.

***First of all, to those of you with low GPA or MCAT: your dream is still possible! It may take some years to get there, so try to enjoy the journey as much as possible. Forget the naysayers, you can DO IT!! I started out with a sub 3.0 GPA and have been accepted into med school.

I'm in my late 20's. Started off with a GPA from undergrad of cGPA of 2.9 (NON-science major). Due to doing well in community college classes for my pre-reqs, about 38 credits, I ended with:

cGPA ~ 3.2-3.3 and sGPA ~3.7-3.9 (depending on whether it was AMCAS or AACOMAS)

MCAT 31 (BS 10, PS 8, VR 13)

Was very lucky to have minimal loans from undergrad. Started off working insanely low paying jobs in health care related/quasi related fields. Sometimes worked 2 or 3 jobs just to pay the bills. BUT I really liked my work with patients, and one of my low paying jobs ended up leading to a better paying one after a couple years so I could support myself while studying for the MCAT (it was not going to be feasible to be working 60-80 hours a week just to barely make ends meet AND study for the MCAT). But before I got the better paying job (quasi health care related), I was working so many hours per week, including lots of overnights, AND taking classes. But it really was fine because unlike many non-trads, I had no huge loans, no children, etc. I was just responsible for supporting myself, and although I lived with a significant other and sharing an apt made it more possible, we split everything cost-wise down the middle. I did accrue some loans from community college, but it wasn’t a staggering amount.

Long term significant other who really did not want to move from our area

Start from the ground up. I think what helped me immensely was my extensive patient care work (3+ years of it). That and doing decently on the MCAT.

I started with an orderly training program that would allow me to work with patients. The whole thing cost like $1,000 and 100+ hours of training. Very minimal considering what great commitments go into training of a lot of health care jobs (LPN, surgical tech, medical assistant, etc).

I worked very entry level, low paying health care related jobs that didn’t even require a high school degree, and many of my friends and family thought I was crazy. It was during this time I started to take pre-reqs at a local community college. Even though I knew deep down that I wanted to be a doctor, I was afraid for many years that I wouldn’t be able to get there or that I wasn’t smart enough. I didn’t tell people my plan for years, until more of the things fell into place, and the whole thing seemed more “real” like getting jobs with doctors, and finally doing decently on the MCAT.

For me personally, experience was everything. Once you work in a health care job for a year, you have more opportunities to get more and better ones. Plus, it was enjoyable for me (although some of it was not glamorous such as personal care and toileting care for elderly adults). The jobs that helped the most, though, were those in which I worked with physicians because when you write your essays and do your interviews, people want to know if you know what you’re getting yourself into. It takes time to get there (obtain a job with a physician) for most people I would assume, as it did for me. But starting from the ground up (i.e. very basic, entry level quasi health care jobs with patients) really opened doors for me.

It’s been almost 4 years since I started the journey to medical school, but I got into my top choice D.O. school on my first application cycle. I applied very broadly to a lot of DO schools, and only a couple M.D. ones. Got some DO interviews as of early/mid October, but since I found out early about my ideal school, I will be withdrawing my other apps. It only takes one acceptance...

I used to come on this thread to read the stories very early in my journey to get into med school, so I hope this can "inspire" those of you thinking about entering the field. Have confidence and make it happen!!!!

**EDIT: I hired a service to help me with my application (activities, primary and secondary essays, and interview prep) and it was immensely valuable, in my opinion.
1st of all congrats on your acceptance into medical school ...I was wondering what was the name of the service/company that helped you with your application. Thanks in advance.

Late 20s/ Early 30s.
GPA 3.0x/3.0x
MCAT 35+

First time I applied blindly and broadly to MD schools without knowing what I was doing and ended up late in the application cycle. Crickets. When I realized I was fooling myself, I signed up for a quality (explained later) SMP across the country and took the plunge. I applied a 2nd time while in the SMP to the SMP's medical school and just a handful of others and while I got secondaries from a couple top 10 schools, only 1 interview and 1 acceptance both at my SMP. Fine by me. I'm in.

Here's my history:

From a state with a lot of pre-meds and I graduated undergrad with a 2.6/2.7 as a SCIENCE major so I knew I was in a lot of trouble if I really wanted to go to medical school. I was the somewhat stereotypical lazy college student who didn't go to class, but I didn't have actual problems with the material. To illustrate my point, I've scored in the 95-99th percentile on the SAT/LSAT/GRE. This isn't to toot my horn, but rather to say that I was in a rather unique situation. This post is meant to help anybody who comes across it and I hope I do hope to help people who are seeking to gain admission to medical school. However, at the same time, my situation is relatively unique. My journey was rooted more in learning to understand myself. I was "talented" enough to succeed but had trouble doing so. I went through several years of looking into several possible careers and attempting to get a better feeling for what makes me tick. Luckily for me, I discovered that I ended up really caring about immigrant populations. I grew up around a decent amount of immigrant families and sometime around when I was in undergrad or just starting my career, the DREAM act was gaining traction. I had a friend who ended up confiding in me that he was undocumented in the US even though he was raised all his conscious life in the US and didn't speak any of his "native" language. Whatever your political feelings, I just want to make the point that this gave me a passion. It wasn't restricted to just undocumented persons, but to underserved persons in general. I searched online and found a way to tutor at a school in a low-income, underprivileged area. I spent days/weeks trying to find a free clinic that would take regular volunteers (most want medical/nursing students or trained doctors/nurses). I loved these activities and this is what truly got me into medicine. I hope at this point you have that spark, and if you don't, I suggest you find it before you actually apply to medical school. Your time, effort, and sacrifices will be so much more rewarding. Medical school will feel more like an opportunity rather than a requirement to become a doctor. And when you get to the interview stage and they ask you "why medicine" you have a real answer with real experiences. Don't be the person who writes in their personal statement or talks in their interview about helping people/helping the poor/helping the homeless. According to an admissions committee member at my school, something like 70% of applicants mention poor/homeless/underserved in their personal statements. That's not to say that it can't be true, but you have to prove it if it is true. Don't serve at a soup kitchen once and write that you were inspired. Make it evident through your activities such that you don't even have to write the words. Actions, not words. (Note that you don't have to care at all about helping the underserved. You do have to care about helping people since healthcare is service oriented, but this is just an example since so many pre-meds discuss it. You just need to make sure YOUR inspiration is evident).

I worked in a research lab after college. At first it was a real paycheck and an interesting field that I thought about pursuing. Obviously everyone in a research lab wants you to pursue a PhD and not sell out and become a doctor. So I took the GRE and took the steps to apply before I decided it wasn't for me. Academia is cutthroat and grueling and my heart wasn't in it. I thought about law school and become a lawyer for undocumented immigrants, but further thinking quashed that idea. So I thought laterally and decided to look into healthcare for undocumented immigrants. There are definitely problems with access and quality of healthcare for undocumented immigrants, so I made that my passion and niche. I had visions of myself working in a low-income, high immigrant area as a practicing physician and that vision still holds true. I've just finished my first year of medical school and I'm still doing volunteering activities with the poor and underserved and still on track to practice underserved medicine. The benefit of being a non-trad is that my decisions are more firm. In medical school, they tell you that you'll change your specialty choice changes several times while going through rotations during 3rd year. I can't say that it won't happen, but I feel as though my intentions coming into medical school are more strongly rooted than those of my younger/less experienced classmates.

Worked for several years in a research lab. I switched jobs as my interests changed, but I never really found a career that I thought I could settle into. Working was invaluable for several reasons. First, I had to start paying back student loans from undergrad. That was eye opening. Also, I had real spending money for the first time which was amazing and fun. I got to spend my early 20s going out with friends in the middle of the week if I felt like it and doing some light traveling and picking up hobbies that I thought were interesting. I learned about personal finance and students loans and I went to a lot of happy hours and I learned the guitar and I made new friends. I became a real adult. As a non-trad, I understand why medical schools like people who have been in the work force and have life experience. It's about perspective.

I have a partner. We decided early on to commit to each other and that my partner would follow me for medical school/residency and then I would follow my partner (not in medicine) for work in the future if need be. We decided we always wanted to be together and that we would sacrifice career options for each other. If you have a long term significant other, this is a conversation you need to have at the beginning of your relationship. The process of becoming of a doctor is long, grueling, and can take you across the country. I know classmates who are doing long distance. It can definitely work, but my partner and I decided against it. Have a plan before you have to start making ultimatums to each other.

So I graduated with a terrible low GPA. Somehow through SDN or other sources, I decided that a 3.0 was the hard cutoff for getting into medical school. The university I worked at allowed me to take classes for free (HUGE benefit) so I signed up for upper division biology courses which I encourage you to do if you have GPA deficits. However, I started off with 3 courses while I was still working full time. Huge mistake. I got a couple As but also a C. I was so focused on how many units of straight-A work I would need to get to a 3.0 that I neglected to address my terrible studying habits. Even though I didn't have trouble with the material per se, I had trouble setting aside time for studying and being a good student. If I were to do it again, I would start with one class and I would get an A/A+. If I didn't get that grade, I would again take one single class. Then, having understood how to study and perform well, I would bump it up to 2 classes, then 3. Also, go to office hours. I never went in undergrad and didn't want to go when I started taking classes again. Force yourself to just sit there and talk about anything. You need rec letters from professors and you need to cultivate relationships. Talk about your kids, talk about life, talk about the school material. Just talk to them. Especially because I didn't perform well in undergrad, doing well in these classes (and having a rec letter that reinforced that) was important for both medical schools to see that I can be a good student and to myself to know that I wouldn't procrastinate and flunk out of med school as a smart/lazy student.

5. What I did right

My SMP. I researched SMPs both on SDN and through web searches to find out what worked best for me. I wanted an SMP that specifically allowed me to take medical school courses. I figured by this time that I had mastered undergrad courses and Masters level courses aren't necessary as grueling. Being able to show that I could perform well in medical school courses was the way to show that I was ready for medical school. For me, the most important criteria for the SMP was how many students went from the SMP into medical school. Specifically, I wanted a medical school that would take a large proportion of its own SMP students. If a school matriculates 100% of its SMP students into its medical school, I'm going there. If a school says that 100% of its students matriculated somewhere, I'm going there. If a school says that within 5 years "most" students are in a graduate program of some kind, I think twice. I was desperate to get in, and this was the most obvious way to get in. If you're enrolling in an SMP, you aren't in a position to be picky. If location is not a deal breaker, find the SMP that has the best chance of getting you into medical school. Period. Obviously you have to do well in the SMP. If you're older, I assume you will find a way to do well.

For those of you who are younger (early/mid 20s) or willing to take a longer route. I briefly considered moving to Texas for medical school. If you live and work in any job in Texas for 1 year, you gain Texas residency. You can literally work at a McDonalds for a year and become a Texas resident. Once you're a Texas resident, you can apply to their ~11 medical schools in which they take 95% Texas residents. Some of their lower tier schools have some of the lower GPA/MCAT averages among medical schools. Not only would you have a bevy of in-state medical schools to apply to, but all (public?) Texas schools have ridiculously low in-state tuition rates. A friend is paying something like 20k a year in tuition and the cost of living in Texas is generally much lower than across the country. Keep in mind that this process is longer because you have to live for at least one year in Texas BEFORE you can apply. I would also imagine that you would want to find a job in a field that you are interested in or that is healthcare related instead of taking a minimum wage job somewhere. Also, it would be hard if you have no friends or support group. But, having said all that, I feel like moving to Texas could be a great opportunity for some people.

6. Conclusion.
If you're someone with a low GPA, fix it slowly. For any applicant, be sure you have a real reason for pursuing medicine that you can back up with your activities. Words are meaningless without proof. If you have a low MCAT/GPA and really think you're ready for medical school (fixed your study skills, have relevant clinical experience, rest of application is good to go), then think hard about doing an SMP. It's a sacrifice of 1 year and lots of money, but it can pay out huge dividends if you take it seriously.

For people worried about paying off medical school, there are things like the National Health Service Corps, Health Professionals Scholarship Program for the Military, and Public Service Loan Forgiveness for non-profit work. According to some friends who have already started their careers, some employers offer loan payments as signing bonuses. For example, you may receive $100k loan payment as a bonus when you start to help you pay off your loans.

Ask me what questions you have. I'll do my best to answer them for the next few days. Good luck to all of you and I hope you succeed in your endeavors.

I've received some PM's pertaining to premed strategery. I pass that torch on to the respondents of this thread. I've forgotten everything about what it takes to get into medical school. And what I can remember, I don't trust the currency of. This stuff changes over time.

Best of luck to all.

I'm finally ecstatic that I can contribute to this thread!

1. I am 31 years old and graduated in 2001 with a GPA of just about 2.34 after taking an immature approach to school. My MCAT was taken last Fall and was a 29O.

2. From the 2002 until when I start medical school I had been working as a critical care flight paramedic for a major medical center in MD. 3 years ago when I started my post-bac in NY I was asked to become an instructor for a biology lab at my univ. and have done so for the past 2.5 years.

3. When I started the program/path I was a single, as of this past summer I now check the married box. My wife is incredible and has been supportive of the effort. When I moved back home with my parents at 27 to go back to school she didn't make fun of me (too much!) but was interested in my pursuit.

4. While I knew I was intelligent enough and more then dedicated, I understood the mountain ahead of me. I enrolled in all of the pre-reqs that I hadn't taken, or had taken over 10 years earlier. I earned nothing less then a A- (both in orgo) while taking 2-3 classes a semester. I did this while working on a per-diem status in MD and teaching at the hospital, teaching 2-3 sections of bio lab, and volunteering as a mentor. Once the pre-req's were done I enrolled in extra courses (biochem, cell bio, neuro...etc) and Aced those.

At the end my GPA probably made it over 2.75 but barely (overcoming 150 credits at a subpar GPA is not easy). But I was able to convey my dedication and hunger for medicine in my personal statement. And as of yesterday afternoon I had 1 acceptance and waiting on 3 other previous interviews. And just so people know and don't use this as an excuse: NO, I am not a minority. I am a white male raised by middle income parents. So I got no special treatment.

For those that are starting the struggle, don't give up. Sometimes its rough and upsetting. But if you persevere, the reward is well worth it! Good luck to everyone!
I feel like I'm in a similar situation. I am just wondering, how did you convey to them your dedication?