LOW GPA/MCAT Success Stories (Posts by Nontrads Already Accepted to Med School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey midlife,
Congrats! yours is one of the more inspiring and happy stories i've had the pleasure to follow. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Summer 2008: got breast cancer. D'oh. DO school deferred. Sold house (note the year). Drained 401k.
Fall 2008: applied to SMPs to try for MD. Nothing against DO's: I hope you never find out how cancer & chemo can make you need something you really really want, to grab onto & live for. For most people that's family, I think.

Your story is very inspiring to me. I'm fairly new here and I also deferred/dropped out of medical school for personal reasons. My reasons for withdrawing were not quite as explainable as yours, but definitely explainable. For more information: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=806033

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=808350

Did you attend any classes? Do you feel like you were ever screened out because of having to report that you were previously accepted? Was overcoming the stigma of having withdrawn a major reason for doing the SMP? After reading my first post above, do you have any advice for me? I'm currently awaiting acceptance into UTD's Post Bacc program (I live in Dallas) and I'm willing to go for an SMP after that if necessary (I won't be willing to move/matriculate until 2014)

Congrats, for getting to the end of your long fought journey. Or is it the beginning?

Members don't see this ad :)
Things I did wrong:
- private loans for prereqs. Serious unsustainable mistake.
- kept living like I was making money, for too long
- picked a huge anonymous public school for prereqs instead of doing Bennington et al
Private loans for prereqs: What would you have done, otherwise? I'm assuming you had to go full time.

Can you expand a little bit on living like you were making money? What did you not sacrifice that you think you should have?

What was wrong with the public school you attended? Do you really think attending a private university would have helped you?

I have not started taking the remainder of my prereqs yet, as I haven't decided the best course of action. Ideally, I'd like to just take what I have left at a community college. The prospect of spending 10 times the amount of money for roughly the same education makes little sense to me.

I have to say your story is very inspiring.

Thank you very much for your time :)

my story is too sad to share

seriously

Last edited:
Private loans for prereqs: What would you have done, otherwise? I'm assuming you had to go full time.
I needed GPA repair, so a 2nd bachelors made sense, but I didn't do any research into how to pay for it before I started. I had savings, before 2008, that would have covered most of the bill, but borrowing money was so easy, and the rates were so low at the time, that I didn't resist.

If I could do it again I would have cut down my working hours & taken a couple classes per term instead of going full time right away.
Can you expand a little bit on living like you were making money? What did you not sacrifice that you think you should have?
I had a ton of savings, a ton of equity in my house, and a six figure resume. I felt no pressure to skimp until the market fell in 2008. I had a mortgage, a new car, I kept traveling etc. I'd been making so much money for so long, it didn't even occur to me to think things through better. The market fell in '08 and I got cancer - that's the rainy day you're supposed to plan for.
What was wrong with the public school you attended? Do you really think attending a private university would have helped you?
The public school in my town is huge and crowded, and I was about 20 years older than my classmates. I was in prereq courses with 500 premeds. I was absolutely lost and I got really depressed after a couple of 3.7+ terms. If I'd been better at reaching out in the beginning, or if I'd known about SDN, I would have found study buddies and followed other good advice. I would have found older students to live with. But mostly I would have stopped taking classes when I stopped getting A's, found help, and figured out how to turn it around.

By contrast, when I took classes at a local private school several years ago, I had hours-long conversations with faculty all the time. There were about 25 students in upper div classes. I took over a student club because there was a need - there weren't 9 million premeds scrambling for ECs, elbowing each other for 2nd Assistant Vice Treasurer. I got killer grades, and when I hit a rough patch, faculty were in my face helping me out.

When I found out about the Bennington postbac, and later when I found out about the UT Dallas postbac and the Texas opportunities for fresh start and inexpensive, plentiful med schools, I was really, really bummed about my choices.
I have not started taking the remainder of my prereqs yet, as I haven't decided the best course of action. Ideally, I'd like to just take what I have left at a community college. The prospect of spending 10 times the amount of money for roughly the same education makes little sense to me.
Sure. If your cumulative GPA is competitive (3.6+), and you've done most of your prereqs at a university, and you are in a state that has public med schools that are not as insane to get into as California, and those med schools will accept CC work, then there is no issue whatsoever with CC work. Once you mix in low stats, or Ivy League / upper tier schools, then CC work is a bad plan.

Best of luck to you.

1. Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it.
41, 3.05 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA, 30 MCAT

2. Your financial and work situation.
I worked through undergrad and after as a clinical researcher.

3. Your family and significant other situation.
I'm married. I have 2 kids.

4. Your plan or your path to success.
I have a pretty unusual story for a medical school applicant - foster care, homelessness, lack of high school education, taking care of a mentally ill parent through college, etc. I applied disadvantaged and I think it helped to get my file read. I got 2 interviews, and got into both schools. Both schools have a deep commitment to under-served populations, and I was clear about my intention to work with the homeless, and continue research on the health issues of the homeless. Both schools also had extensive secondaries that gave me ample opportunity to explain myself. I didn't say, "Oh, woe is me." I made it clear that there were plenty of well-qualified applicants out there who'd had it way worse than me, but that I had other attributes that they might want to incorporate into their class.

I didn't do a formal post-bacc, and really didn't expect to get in. I'm still in shock, and I'm almost done with my first semester. :)

wow, this is an inspiration..where did u apply and got accepted to? where are u attending? just wondering

The public school in my town is huge and crowded, and I was about 20 years older than my classmates. I was in prereq courses with 500 premeds. I was absolutely lost and I got really depressed after a couple of 3.7+ terms. If I'd been better at reaching out in the beginning, or if I'd known about SDN, I would have found study buddies and followed other good advice. I would have found older students to live with. But mostly I would have stopped taking classes when I stopped getting A's, found help, and figured out how to turn it around.

By contrast, when I took classes at a local private school several years ago, I had hours-long conversations with faculty all the time. There were about 25 students in upper div classes. I took over a student club because there was a need - there weren't 9 million premeds scrambling for ECs, elbowing each other for 2nd Assistant Vice Treasurer. I got killer grades, and when I hit a rough patch, faculty were in my face helping me out.
I know exactly what you mean regarding getting depressed during school -- I ruined my GPA because of depression. The public school I went to (University of Toledo) is a public university, and I did half of my undergrad at a local community college. Both were pretty good experience, faculty and class size wise -- I think I got more personalized attention at the community college than anywhere. Locally, this community college is known well (Lorain County Community College). So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you chose the private university over the public because of a poor public option?

When I found out about the Bennington postbac, and later when I found out about the UT Dallas postbac and the Texas opportunities for fresh start and inexpensive, plentiful med schools, I was really, really bummed about my choices.
I'll have to look into this -- I like the sound of it, though. Do these inexpensive programs still exist? I wonder if it would be cheaper than getting in state tuition in Ohio, though -- we have some decent medical schools here.

Sure. If your cumulative GPA is competitive (3.6+), and you've done most of your prereqs at a university, and you are in a state that has public med schools that are not as insane to get into as California, and those med schools will accept CC work, then there is no issue whatsoever with CC work. Once you mix in low stats, or Ivy League / upper tier schools, then CC work is a bad plan.
My undergrad GPA is utter ****, unfortunately. I haven't used AMA's calculator, but I looked at my transcript the other day and it's a 2.65 cumulative... much worse than I thought. Unfortunately, I didn't take school very seriously, and as I said above, I was terribly depressed for over a year -- that will do serious damage to your GPA.

Best of luck to you.
To you, as well, and my sincere thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Adieu ^_^

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you chose the private university over the public because of a poor public option?
No, I stayed at a public university and it was a mistake. I had to do an SMP in addition to doing 3 years of prereqs & upper div science. My postbac didn't improve my 3.09 overall GPA, which means my postbac went badly. It's completely fair to say that this is why I am broke and it's why I didn't get into my state MD school.

There are two stupid mistakes in what I did that I want to be very clear about:
1. I assumed I'd be able to get A's in everything if I just decided to get A's. I'm plenty smart, why not? This is pure egotistical delusional BS. The only way to start getting A's after a history of not getting A's is to figure out exactly, in detail, what it takes to get A's, and then shut up and do it and keep doing it. If nothing changes, nothing changes.
2. At the first sign of not getting an A, such as a B on an exam, I didn't regroup or ask for help or adjust. As long as it was mathematically possible to recover, I assumed I'd recover. I'd just get A's on the rest of the exams. This is more egotistical delusional BS.
I'll have to look into this -- I like the sound of it, though. Do these inexpensive programs still exist? I wonder if it would be cheaper than getting in state tuition in Ohio, though -- we have some decent medical schools here.
The Texas options are still there, but Ohio's a good place to be as well. It's really hard to tell what the options will be a few years from now, given the economy and state budget shortfalls.
My undergrad GPA is utter ****, unfortunately. I haven't used AMA's calculator, but I looked at my transcript the other day and it's a 2.65 cumulative... much worse than I thought. Unfortunately, I didn't take school very seriously, and as I said above, I was terribly depressed for over a year -- that will do serious damage to your GPA.
Please be brutally honest with yourself and with your support system about depression. The conditions in which you were depressed before will be reproduced and intensified as you try to get into med school.

Here are my somewhat SDN-blessed instructions for your GPA comeback: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11083370&postcount=3

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I am 30-2.49 under grad, 3.96 PB, 3.92 MS MCAT 22,23,27
I am a broke single mother with no support I work full time as a Teacher
I am legally seperated, divorce will not be finalized until support is awarded.
First time applying and I got in HORRAY!!I have been accepted to NOVA UCF waiting on Howard
Rejected invites to Meharry and FSU
motivation is for all of those including mom who said you will never be anything. Hi Mom!!!:love:I love the smell and taste of sucess. I love setting a goal and accomplishing it. I love the fact of being a High School drop out and I will still be a doctor. The reason I choose medicine is because I want to work with the underserved and I hope to join the army. You can only take it one day at a time set your long term goals and short term ones. If you have to readjust along the way do so. Do not feel bad about it. Surrond yourself with positive people not haters. You can do it the schools love a diverse qualified applicant

WOW way to go !!!!:)

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to thank everyone for sharing. This is exactly what I needed to help give me some hope. I as well am a nontraditional student...34 year old single parent of 7 children. I was starting to lose sight of my dream due to all of the trials and tribulations that I have encountered and my low 3.2 GPA just really pushed me to the brink of a funk. But after reading your stories, I really understand that it can be done. Although I have yet to take the MCAT, I feel as though you all have helped me set my expectations of the possibilities that can arise. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been waiting for the last ~6-7 years to post in this thread!

I graduated college a few years ago with a 2.6 (sGPA 2.77). Long, ugly transcript with several colleges, a bunch of failed classes for high school credit early on, a bit of an upward trend in the middle (as high as 3.5 or so), and back down to a 3.1 for senior year. Not very promising.

I took 2 years off to work in research and absolutely loved it. It was a productive time and I ended up on 2 publications and 2 more in submission by the time I applied this year. None first author, but second on 3 of them.

Took the MCAT, got a balanced 32 - solid, but clearly not enough to undo the GPA damage. I was a little disappointed because I had been in the 32-38 range in practice exams, so I felt I could do better.

I then applied to SMPs and somehow managed to get into one of the Boston ones. I think the solid research track helped, and the decent MCAT too. I had read on these boards to pull the uGPA to a 3.0 but that wasn't really a possibility for me, so I threw out some applications and hoped for the best.

Went through the SMP, got a 3.8. Not too bad, but I had heard that people with my undergrad record should do better, so I was still pretty worried.

Retook the MCAT over the summer and got a 38 (11P didn't budge from last time, 14V, 13B). Saved a screen shot when I got my score because I literally couldn't believe it and I was afraid it wouldn't be there when I logged back in!

I sent my primary out after the MCAT - mid-August. I know I should have applied earlier, but I spent the summer studying for it and didn't have it in me to finish my primary as well. Secondaries were finished between mid-September and mid-October.

At the end of October, I received 2 interview invites within 48 hours. I attended the Cincinnati interview the following week. And guess what?

This past week, I was accepted to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine! I could not possibly be more thrilled! It almost seems surreal, because it's always said on these boards that people with my GPA simply do not get into MD schools (and they're lucky if DOs give them a second look). However, I am proof positive that if you work hard, have a compelling story and show several years of dedication (and the ability to succeed academically), your undergrad GPA will not completely destroy your chances.

I would also like to comment on the claim that most schools "pre-screen" for a 3.0:
I applied to 5 schools that openly pre-screen. I received secondaries from 4 of them (all except UCLA). I also got an interview at one of these.
I really don't think that most schools throw out your application if you have <3.0 - you just need a good reason for them to look closer. A high MCAT helps!

I think that the really important thing is the ability to keep at it for several years and maintain the faith in yourself that you have what it takes. And it's also important to enjoy the years you spend working towards your goal - I sincerely loved my job in research, and I loved my SMP coursework, so I didn't feel like I was wasting time as a pre-med with no guarantees at the end of the road.
It's not easy and it's not pretty, but if it's what you want, it can definitely be done. Good luck!

Congrats to you! How did you make such a drastic change for the SMP and MCAT? I have similar undergrad stats as you and haven't taken the mcat or started my SMP yet.

Last edited:
Just turned 31. MCAT 30N (with an 8 in VR). My cGPA was 3.3something. My sGPA was lower, I think 3.2something. I took postbac classes (prereqs) on my own and got straight A's so in the end both GPA was up to 3.4 (exactly on the fence). I applied to one school only because we couldn't relocate (2 mortgages, my family, my parents, my sisters, my husband's job couldn't just be uprooted and moved).

I was a software engineer for about 7 years. I got bored with my job and its bureaucracy/politics so about 2 years ago, I decided to try to apply to med school. It took me almost 2 years to finish prereqs (chem/bio/ochem) and do my EC's (pretty average). Set aside some savings to take care of tuition. I got into a state school so tuition is not too bad (right now 27K and hopefully will not go up anymore), and I seriously hope that by the time I practice medicine, I will be debt-free. Whatever I will make in residency will go into paying my school debt (thank god for husbands who support their wives in school).

Since i plan to dedicate the next decade for school, I needed to plan for kid(s) before school and thankfully it worked out. The only down side was that studying for MCAT while being pregnant was not fun. I think I could have scored higher had I had more energy to study but I guess my current score was good enough. My baby is 3.5 months old now, and I just got news that I'm accepted. YAY! My husband is very supportive. He got a decent career in management at a nuclear power plant and can comfortably take care of our family on his salary alone. As part of my grand scheme to go to med school, I brought my parents from overseas to stay next to me, so I virtually have a daycare center installed next door to my house ;) . All and all, I believe my situation is pretty stable and planned out well.

I'm gonna start school in the summer, taking advantage of the summer anatomy program to get that class out of the way. I'm doing some research to buy anatomy books/atlas/flashcards to study on my own before the summer to get a head start :laugh: (I can't wait to start school). I will also absolutely plan to spend time with my baby boy as much as I can in school. Do well, but also try to balance school and family. I know I'm lucky to have a great support system. Let's hope everything will go smoothly as planned, as it has always been.

What I'd done right:
- I knew I only want to get into this particular school, so I made an appointment to see an adcom at this school in 2009. Since then, I made an effort to show up at openhouses, shadow day event, or whatever event offered by the school. I made my face seen and known. I kept in touch with adcom through the years, with my life and school updates. Of course I backed it up with good progress and results.

- I took classes whenever I could (ended up with 4 transcripts from different universities for my prereqs), did extremely well and got LORs from my professors. Made good effort to go see my professors often to get them to know me. I asked them early on for my LOR, and for one prof., it was 2 years before application and the other was 1 year early :laugh: . I kept sending update emails every semester to both professors so that they could remember who I was. When it was time for LORs, I wrote a long document (mini autobiography) summarize my life, dreams, and effort and send it to them so that they had something to write about me.

- Enrolled with a health advising center, even though I wasn't enrolled in the school :D . It's a long story, and in the end, I had to file a petition to have them keep me in their program even though I didn't go to school there (right before application cycle start) but it was so worth it. I got wonderful advice from the staff, and was introduced to a new member of the staff, who is a semi-retiring doc at the school that I was applying to. Needless to say, this doc was a tremendous help to my success.

- As a nontrad, it was NOT easy finding shadowing opportunity. It took a long time for me to eventually get to shadow my primary physician (and get LOR from her). Key is persistence. Kept going back, leaving notes/messages until I got in (not in a harassing way, but more like polite follow-ups). I overheard someone's conversation about observing a heart surgery, and I shamelessly jumped in asking if I could observe too. Well, it only took 5 months of follow-up emails before I got to observe, but it was worth it. After reading SDN, it seems like this small EC of mine was very small since almost everyone on SDN has very impressive EC's. Nonetheless, I'm glad I got this under my belt.

- Bought a house for my parents (while I was still having my fulltime job) next to my house. My mom has always been a SATM all her life, so it's great to have my mom watch my kid when I'm in school, and perhaps cooking delicious meals on the weekends.

What I did wrong

- Didn't study enough for the MCAT. I should have started it earlier, but I guess I'm gonna blame it on my pregnancy (extreme fatigue in the early months). Got an 8 on my VR on the MCAT. I thought I had to reapply, and was mentally prepared for that. Thank god I didn't have to.

- Didn't do well in undergrad. I wish I was more focus in undergrad school and got higher GPA. Thankfully I was a nontrad applicant so undergrad GPA was a little more forgivable coupling with steep upward trend.

- Didn't save more $$ while I was still having a job. Wish I didn't spend so much on random things... In the end, I still had decent savings, but if I saved more, I could have paid for med school w/o getting loans.

- Had kids earlier. If I did, I would have had 2 kids (my goal) by now. Oh well... but look at it this way, if I had kids early, I might not have the energy and drive to get into med school.

It has been a long 2 years since I decided to follow a dream. Now, I'm at the entrance of that dream (or nightmare?) and I sincerely hope that I can get to the end. I always tell myself getting in successfully doesn't mean getting out successfully. Now I have a few months to put my feet up and relax before starting another academic marathon. One way or another, I'm determined to come out on top.

DO GPA, 3.18 (s/c), MCAT 26Q, was accepted first application cycle... :) Over 3500 hours of volunteering, 35yrs old... :)

GPA: 3.2 total, 2.7 sGPA
MCAT: 30M

Worked myself into an average salary at a pretty dead end job right out of high school. 5 years later I got married and my wife had a similar salary to me so we did pretty well. Bought our first home just before the market in our area really started to pick up, but then I got the itch to give college a try. I went to community college for 2 semesters and did well (3.95 total) before transferring to the local state University (Research 1, Medical School on campus etc.). Had our first child right before the transfer, and I subsequently quit my job and sold the home at a modest profit to pursue college much more aggressively, if we would have stuck it out a little longer with the home we could have made enough of the sale to pay for my entire bachelors degree plus living expenses (living very modestly), which would have been very nice.

Like I said, I got married just before starting college. Had two children in undergrad, and now have one final one on the way during MS-1.

My plan is somewhat unique, mostly because I didn't really have much of a plan. Nobody in my family ever went to college (though my younger brother is getting his MBA now) so I didn't know how to do it really. I feel like I didn't do anything by the book, but I only applied once

Like I said, I started out at the community college, mostly because the financial aid advisor lived across the street from my parents and she offered to get me a tuition waver the first semester. I took her up on it and loaded up on science and math, just the basics since it had been more than 5 years since I'd done anything intellectually challenging. I made it out with all A's (one A- technically). I transferred to the State University and kept on the path. I didn't select a major since I didn't know what I wanted to do. I just wanted to go to medical school and so finding a degree to use as a backup was tough for me.

After a while I started to lose interest/get burned out. I settled on a degree in Health Promotion (which I ended up really loving) and kept taking science courses aimlessly. Everyone kept asking me when I'd apply for medical school and I didn't honestly know. I'd always say "next year I should be ready" but I really didn't know. My grades began to suffer, I felt like I didn't know how to go about even beginning the application process, and somehow I just got lost in it all. I think I was losing sight of my goals a bit. I considered a career in EMS (my degree program had an emphasis track that involved Paramedic Certification), because I felt like that was the closest to medical care I'd ever get at that point. I liked EMS quite a bit though, so being a Paramedic wouldn't have been that bad had things not worked out for medicine.

Anyway, in the middle of all this I met a guy in Physics Lab that was applying. I happened to ask him one day what he did for volunteer work and he pointed out a new thing he was doing at a local free clinic. He invited me along to help and I took him up on it.

The free clinic was HUGE for me because it gave me something tangible to grab onto. The doctors there were all about education and loved pre-meds (which I've found is pretty unique, most of the time the hate them). Before long I was being trained in all sorts of medical care. I'd run EKG's, give immunizations, draw blood, take histories, etc. I even got taught some physical exam techniques and was allowed to work with the patients much closer.

This volunteering turned into a bit of an obsession for me. I ended up having somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,500 hours at that place when I went to apply.

Then in the summer before I applied I went on a trip to SE Asia with the US Navy. Again, got to do A LOT of stuff and had a total blast. 2 months on a Hospital ship in Indonesia and East Timor was something I'll never forget! Again, lots of hours since it took up 16 hours/day for two months straight. And my EMS background meant that I was assigned to do a lot of things that the rest of the Pre-meds that came weren't even allowed to think about. I was on the rapid response team, and even got involved in some helicopter transport of sick patients. I also got to teach CPR, Hemorrhage Control, and Splinting to local EMS, which was fun. I'm so lucky to have a supportive wife that let me do this in the first place!

Between the free clinic, the Navy trip, and a few other things I did, I started to realize that apart from my grades, I had an awesome application shaping up. That was all it took to get me going again! I finally felt hopeful, like I had a chance. This was huge because it let me apply feeling good about myself rather than feeling like an underdog. I think that was critical.

Then when I got back from SE Asia, I decided to give it two more semesters then I had to be graduated. It had been 6 years since I started at the community college, and I was running out of financial aid eligibility. They were about to kick me out for taking to long :laugh:. I took an anatomy course (amazingly taught) and an analytical chemistry course (poorly taught) along with one or two others that I can't remember right now in the fall. I also took the September MCAT (two weeks after I returned from SE asia) totally blind, but managed a good score. I applied in October for DO programs. In the spring semester I took the final 3 courses to be graduation eligible. In february of this year (while I was in my final semester of undergrad) I got an interview at my top choice DO program. Which subsequently turned to an acceptance, and I got a second interview at another program as well which I declined.

I finished Undergrad on a high note, making all A's and having an acceptance to medical school in hand. At the commencement ceremony it was tough to contain my emotion, I felt so lucky, so blessed, and had such a sense of accomplishment/relief. It was the best feeling ever! My wife was in the stands with our kids, balling her eyes out. Very big day for us!

Now I'm 5 months into my OMS-1 and having the time of my life. I'm excelling in the coursework, I have awesome classmates, and things honestly couldn't be better.

I guess my whole point in all this is that if I made it in, any of you can make it in. My GPA alone would keep most people on SDN from even applying; but I didn't let it deter me. I wanted to be a physician more than anything, and I was determined to give it a shot. I think that determination paid off.

Keep at it folks, it's a long ride, but it's so awesome to look back at it all once you've made it in. I've still got a long way to go, but knowing that in a few more years I will be a physician is the awesomest feeling!

I am really happy for everyone and it gives me hope

I did it! Mind you this all occurred in the mid-80's, but I hope my story is inspiring. I'm sorry it is long, but it spanned years, and lots of twists and turns.

Since I'm reasonably bright, high school was super easy for me, even Honors classes. I was no valedictorian, but had no desire to be. I was a coolio. I did homework during study hall, never studied for anything, worked and partied all the time, and finished with a B average. But I shredded the SAT with a total score of 1350 so that helped counteract my lackluster grades when applying to college. I wasn't considered by really top, ivy league schools, but my parents would not pay for those anyway.

I had never developed any decent study habits and was unprepared for college. The combo of heavy workload and soooo many fun distractions (i skipped about 40% of all my classes, and got two incompletes, what a dummy) resulted in me being placed on academic probation by sophomore year. What a humiliation. I finished that year with a GPA of under 2 (I FAILED POLITICAL SCIENCE - the only way to do that is just never, ever go, and never take the final, in case you wondered). I was the sheepish recipient of a written guarantee from the dean, that if my GPA remained in the hole for one more semester, I was out. :eek: next step, Wal-Mart cashier.

Since I realized I'd never get into medical school being such a screwup, I wanted to change to something more likely to lead to an actual job. I changed my major from pre-med/Liberal Arts (biology) to medical technology in the University's School of Allied Health (specifically cytogenetic technology). I then went to summer school, which was actually fun since the UConn basketball players go to school then, and we all lived in the one big high rise dorm that was open). I re-took Physics and Organic Chem lab, which i'd either never completed or made a D- on. I killed 'em! Something about taking just one class full time for 5-6 weeks worked for me. Those first two A's somehow taught me something about how to be an actual student, not just a bystander. AND that you can still have a great time. I grew up.

My med tech classes were so much fun! I got to learn how to do little procedures like phlebotomy and how to run tests. Microbiology was so cool. I actually showed up for my classes! The ball got rolling in my brain and I started getting A's without much agita, because I'd figured out I had to attend class, how to take notes, how to study, what extra work to do and not to do, etc.

My clinical rotation in a hospital cytogenetics lab was the motivational cherry on top. I worked with doctors, saw how interesting their work was, and now I REALLY wanted to be one. (Specifically a Medical Geneticist). I worked all alone on Saturdays because I was doing a project on a special project about fluorescent chromosome stains. So I got a chance to have adventures with the occasional physician wanting my help (!) with something, usually a baby born with anomolies. So interesting!

Even a year of excellent grades wasn't enough to pull my GPA into the 3 range, though. So, I resolved to do a 5 year plan and get my B.S. in Cytogenetics followed by a B.S. in biology. I finished spring semester of Junior year and went back to summer school for Biochemistry and Economics (liberal arts requirement). I met my pre-med advisor for the second time ever (I'd blown him off as a Freshman!) and applied to do the double major, which was kind of hard because Liberal Arts was dubious about me. But they let me.

I finished up my B.S. in cytogenetics after one more year, while working as a TA in the lab. I underwent so many first-time venipunctures with me talking the students through it, that my left antecubital vein is scarred up forever, lol. At the same time, I restarted my biology major and the liberal science requirements I still had left. That year was exhausting. My credit load was up around 18 but it was worth it. I got the Allied Health BS with a cum laude, which correlated to a GPA of just over 3. I took the MCAT and just plain did horribly. I'd grown overconfident and really didn't prepare. I thought it would be natural for me, like the SAT (what a dummy).

My 5th year I carried 21 credits both semesters, some of which was doing self-directed molecular biology lab research with a lab advisor (reco letters yay) resulting in a thesis in chicken embryologic cartilage DNA mutations. I took some master's level journal club seminars (reco letters yay). I also retook Calculus II which I'd incompleted the first time. I managed a D+ because I went to the professor's office sessions every time he held them, and was clearly giving it a great effort. Big improvement from never going to class and making stuff up on the tests, lol. I just have no neuro-intellectual ability to understand calculus. :confused::confused::confused::confused: never have, never will. Face time was the key on that one.

I got A's on everything else, most importantly the high credit-weighted thesis. My GPA improved to the point that I got my Liberal Arts B.S. summa cum laude (i think GPA around 3.3) and won an award from the Biology department for my thesis. I had already applied to medical school with my bad MCATS and without my 5th year grades, and had been rejected everywhere without interviews, unsurprisingly.

I moved to the Big City (Boston) and went to work as a cytogenetic technologist (which helped to further convince me that I could NOT do that for the rest of my life - I wanted to be the one seeing the patients, ordering the tests, counseling the patients). I'm not sure, but I think most of the work I did is now done my computers. I volunteered in the Pediatric inpatient ward at Boston City Hospital, about 15 hours a week. That was NOT work. My job was to hold and comfort essentially abandoned babies and toddlers. :love: (This was during the whole "crack" thing).

I took a Kaplan review for the MCAT, took the MCAT again, and improved my scores a LOT. like from 8's and 9's to 11's and 13's. So I reapplied to medical school, really only wanting my state university because of $$$. At every interview, I had to swallow my pride, and explain that F and all those incompletes (I was immature and not serious about school, I have no good excuse), and how I improved my grades. Most interviewers were very positive about how I'd grown and improved. A few were wackos that seemed fixated on my low-ish GPA and my old, old mistakes.I got lots of wait lists, and a couple of acceptances, including the one I wanted. Of course, I never became a geneticist, but that's a different story.

So, for me, it had a great deal to do with growing up and losing my bad teenage habits, learning for the first time what it REALLY means to be a student and how to study. And if I can pull myself out of college academic probation to successfully and smoothly completing medical school, so can anybody. I mean it! I was a serious screw up!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I've been a nurse for about two years and have now just considered applying to med school. I just wanted to let you guys know that a lot of us do lurk these forums and this thread has really inspired me to go back to college to get my sciences out of the way and prep for the MCAT. Glad to see a lot of people have made it!

Last edited:
Hi, I've been a nurse for about two years and have now just considered applying to med school. I just wanted to let you guys know that a lot of us do lurk these forums and this thread has really inspired me to go back to college to get my sciences out of the way and prep for the MCAT. Glad to see a lot of people have made it!

Welcome! And good luck in your journey. :thumbup:

Congrats!!! I am an off again on again SDN viewer. I am soo glad that I found this site because it lifted my spirits up because after reading many of the posts on this site, I realized that I can really achieve this because others have done it who are/were in similar conditions to mine.

I know this thread is a little aged, but what other schools did you get interviews at (that you thought screened)?

I would like to add some additions to my story:
3.18 c/sGPA, PB 3.83c 3.91s

Was just un-rejected by two schools, and interviewed/accepted in one day at one of the schools. Never give up your faith that you can do it!

Folks, as the title of the thread says, you should only post your story here if you are *already* accepted to medical school. People who are still in the process of doing prereqs/MCAT/applying but have *not* been accepted yet should post here instead.

And congrats to everyone who has been accepted during the current cycle. :)

cGPA = 3.39
sGPA = 3.01
Grad (M.S.) = 3.83
MCAT (2008)= 7P, 9V, 8B, O
MCAT (2010)= 11P, 8V, 8B, Q
Took two courses at CC and earned B’s (Calc I/II)
C’s in Physics I, Ochem I, and two upper division sciences for my major

Long story short, I didn’t apply myself in UG and turned it around as a grad student.

I had all the pre-conceived SDN “application killer” elements – low gpa, low mcat, community college courses without getting an A, C’s in pre-reqs, a section of my second mcat dropped, no upward GPA trend, etc. By all accounts, I should have gone DO or to an island.

This was my second MD application cycle. The major changes were a slightly improved MCAT and a personal statement that didn’t just tell adcoms what I thought they wanted to hear. I am a slight non-trad (27 years old) and I think that being older was a HUGE advantage during interviews. No offense to the kiddies, but it was like interviewing among children.

As a side note: SMP’s are not the be all end all solution to low-gpa’s. I am a big fan of MS degrees – I was able to get teaching experience, took classes with med students, obtained two years of substantial research experience, and got letters of rec from faculty that knew me well (mentors, lab PI’s, etc).

Don’t believe all the SDN hype and never give up on your dreams.

Result: two in-state MD acceptances.

^How was being older and non-traditional a huge advantage during interviews?

Cause non-trads don't sound like pre-allo people when we answer questions... and our attitude on life is... different...

Awesome thread! These stories are really inspiring! Congrats to all.

^How was being older and non-traditional a huge advantage during interviews?

Because I knew better not to text under the table during the welcome speech given by the dean of the med school (not kidding, actually saw this occur by several younger applicants at one interview) :p

On a more serious note, I felt that I stood out from the crowd of applicants and interviewers were really interested in my story -- almost as if they were relieved not to be talking to another 21 year old. As another poster mentioned, demeanor, attitude, and life experiences go along way. Okay, back to success stories!

-26 years old
-3.1 uGPA, 3.7 gradGPA
-32 MCAT in 2008, 36 in 2011

I've been working pretty consistently since I was 16. Financially, I'm pretty broke.

I have a significant other who is a med student, no kids. We're coming up on 3 years.

My path to success was...long. I graduated college in 2007 with that terrible GPA. I moved to NYC to be in a metal band. A year later, I rebooted my life, applied to grad programs, and studied for the MCAT. I took it in 2008 and started my grad program in biotech in 2009. I applied to med schools in summer 2009 and failed to gain an acceptance. I completed my masters, and in 2010, started studying for the MCAT again. I put in 6-8 hours a day for 6 months, and in early 2011, earned a nice MCAT score. I reapplied in summer of this year, got 6 interviews, and I got my first acceptance a couple weeks ago.

And now I can breath a sigh of relief after 4 years of work :)

If you want more details about my story, I've been keeping a blog for about a year, so you can follow me from studying for the MCAT for the second time to today.

Good luck to all you guys. The world belongs to the dreamers lol. Fortune favors the balled.

-26 years old
-3.1 uGPA, 3.7 gradGPA

I've been working pretty consistently since I was 16. Financially, I'm pretty broke.

I have a significant other who is a med student, no kids. We're coming up on 3 years.

My path to success was...long. I graduated college in 2007 with that terrible GPA. I moved to NYC to be in a metal band. A year later, I rebooted my life, applied to grad programs, and studied for the MCAT. I took it in 2008 and started my grad program in biotech in 2009. I applied to med schools in summer 2009 and failed to gain an acceptance. I completed my masters, and in 2010, started studying for the MCAT again. I put in 6-8 hours a day for 6 months, and in early 2011, earned a nice MCAT score. I reapplied in summer of this year, got 6 interviews, and I got my first acceptance a couple weeks ago.

If you want more details about my story, I've been keeping a blog for about a year, so you can follow me from studying for the MCAT for the second time to today.

Good luck to all you guys. The world belongs to the dreamers lol. Fortune favors the balled.

Truly well done.

-26 years old
-3.1 uGPA, 3.7 gradGPA

F'nA man! Good job. The first metal head doc that I know of. Have to wear a metal shirt under the white coat. I'd feel better just knowing you were out there.

-26 years old
-3.1 uGPA, 3.7 gradGPA

I am pretty surprised you didn't get in even with a 32 on the MCAT. But congrats on your acceptance.

Truly well done.

Thanks! Yeah if I can get here from there, anybody can lol.

F'nA man! Good job. The first metal head doc that I know of. Have to wear a metal shirt under the white coat. I'd feel better just knowing you were out there.

Dude now that interviews etc are over, I'm growing my hair out again:D My gf is not stoked, but whatevs, she'll be fine:horns:

I am pretty surprised you didn't get in even with a 32 on the MCAT. But congrats on your acceptance.

Thanks man. Actually, I kind of DID get in the first time. It's a long story, but basically, I was accepted to USUHS, the military med school, and was all set to go, but at the last minute they rejected me because of my less-than-perfect medical history. Which was a big bummer since that was my only acceptance. C'est la vie. Things don't work out and then they do :thumbup:

Thanks man. Actually, I kind of DID get in the first time. It's a long story, but basically, I was accepted to USUHS, the military med school, and was all set to go, but at the last minute they rejected me because of my less-than-perfect medical history. Which was a big bummer since that was my only acceptance. C'est la vie. Things don't work out and then they do :thumbup:

Words to live by!

Dude,36 MCAT is nasty.

Nasty was pretty much what I needed to save my ass lol! I knew that that was going to be my ticket in, so I honestly just didn't stop studying until I owned the material. Before I took the test, I was scoring 36-40 on the AAMC full lengths. And even so, I've only gotten in to one school out of 20 that i applied to lol! Crazy competitive out there.

Nasty was pretty much what I needed to save my ass lol! I knew that that was going to be my ticket in, so I honestly just didn't stop studying until I owned the material. Before I took the test, I was scoring 36-40 on the AAMC full lengths. And even so, I've only gotten in to one school out of 20 that i applied to lol! Crazy competitive out there.

LOL. Well now you have me worried since I won't be applying with any graduate credit. Id like to think im capable of a 36 MCAT but .... I am also real with myself and I haven't got 6 months to prep.

LOL. Well now you have me worried since I won't be applying with any graduate credit. Id like to think im capable of a 36 MCAT but .... I am also real with myself and I haven't got 6 months to prep.

Yeah, you gotta work within your time limits, but you know, try to make sure that your AAMC practice tests in the score range you want on the MCAT, because those are pretty damn good predictors of your actual score.

I only applied DO and have 2 acceptances and two waitlists with a 26... I am relieved because I was worried I'd have to take it again :( so YAY for a 36... Wish I could have scored that high!

I only applied DO and have 2 acceptances and two waitlists with a 26... I am relieved because I was worried I'd have to take it again :( so YAY for a 36... Wish I could have scored that high!

Yes, but I also remember reading that you have an excellent post-bacc GPA and or excellent grad GPA. I have neither. Im sunk with a MCAT<30.

I have PB work (80cr) @3.83c and 3.91s... But still, it wasn't enough for most of the schools I applied to... while I haven't been 'rejected' from the majority, I highly doubt I will have interviews, and likely they'll just wait until April and I'll get bunches of "blah blah F off" letters... It only takes one, so since you have that, YAY!

I have PB work (80cr) @3.83c and 3.91s... But still, it wasn't enough for most of the schools I applied to... while I haven't been 'rejected' from the majority, I highly doubt I will have interviews, and likely they'll just wait until April and I'll get bunches of "blah blah F off" letters... It only takes one, so since you have that, YAY!

I have a c3.34 and s3.52 ( pending my school appeal) no post bacc. My transcipt however is littered with with W's from the school I transfered in from. My Gpa shows a sharp upward trend and I have tons of volunteer and clinical experience. Hopefully a solid MCAT puts me in the running.

My cumulative GPA is 3.18... ;) You should be ok ;) Strangely, my state MD schools (the only MD schools I applied to) specifically told me that my GPA was not the issue with my app, it specifically was the 7ps on my MCAT... if I had a 9 in ps they said they wouldn't have rejected me.... go figure...

undergrad GPA after a few postbach courses 3.3, two MS degrees both GPA about 3.7, AACOMAS GPA came to 3.4. MCAT 37R. my 80+ year old undergrad Proff and research advisor wrote me a 2-page LOR (interfolio shows number of pages), plus got good LOR from doctors i shadowed. volunteer work in US and Asia. 12 years of work experience including management role. 3rd time's the charm, even if 20 years too late. WOOHOO!

Last edited:
1. Your age and GPA and MCAT
-Will matriculate at 36
-BS in Comp Sci...GPA 2.56
-Master in Int'l Managment GPA 3.0
-self guided post bacc (44hrs all sci in 18mths)
-Applied with cGPA 2.80, sGPA 3.09
-MCAT 11/12/11 (34O)

-Work in management for Japanese manufacturing companies for last 10 years. Took a 18mth break for pre-reqs, and am working again full-time during my gap year. Will be quitting the week before classes and moving back home as I'm living 900miles from my family at the moment due to work. My wife is a RN that has been out of the workforce but is going back to work while I'm in school to help feed us.

-Wife of 14 years, 8 kids (5 bio + 3 adopted) ages 16 -> 3.
-I was raised in/out of foster care and with various family so I have no contact with either parent or siblings so my family is what I have (along with my in-laws).
-Mother-in-law & sister-in-law are physicians, none in my family ever went to college.

4. Your path to success.
-Upon finally making the decision to leap I quit my job, moved into a cheaper community, sold my home at a major ($70K) loss, and became a poor college student. I knew my only chance was to do well on my pre-reqs and then rock the MCAT.

What I'd done right:
-I was very honest with myself about my odds, and what it would take BEFORE I started.
-I sought counsel of various physicians and medically-minded friends about my ability/fit and the intelligence of doing 'this' with my family dynamics.
-I was 110% committed to the process and refused to quit no matter what it looked like.
-I spent nearly 3 months revising my PS to tweak and refine what I wanted it to say and had it read by both medical and non-medical type people.
-I got a 34 on my first try at the MCAT

What I did wrong
-I assumed all it took to earn A's was working harder than I did for my B/C's. Turns out you have to work WAY harder.
-I didn't make sure we were financially stable and planned on working while taking full-time sciences and about killed myself with the stress

5. RESULTS
19 applications MD/DO
3 early rejections
2 MD interviews--both turned to waitlists, one IS, one OOS
3 DO interviews, attended only 1 and got accepted, withdrew from other 2
11 remaining withdrawn in early Oct (after acceptance to my #2 school)

LT2, what do your kids think?