LOW GPA - Continue even w/o grade replacement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgh420

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently 25 and considering other job options, and while some may make more sense in my head, med school and being a doctor is in my heart. I honestly can't see myself doing anything else and being legitimately happy. Sure I might be able to get by working and then being happy outside of work, but the only way I can truly see myself being happy going to work day in day out is as a doctor..and I'm completely crushed that I've messed it up so far. The lack of grade replacement continuing feels like a nail in the coffin. Anyways, my stats...

cGPA: 2.4
sGPA: 2.0

I've completed over 160 credits (5 yr undergrad) so my gpa isn't exactly malleable. I currently work for a non-profit in a health related field, have extensive volunteer/shadowing experience, and am confident I can do well on the MCAT in a year or so if I nail my post-bacc courses. My plan is to work full time (moving home is not an option) and take classes at night in order to make 64 credits worth of A's over the next 2 years, which would bring my GPA up to:

cGPA: 2.8
sGPA: 2.68

Even with that do I stand any shot? Even at a DO SMP? It looks like many have 2.75 or 3.0 cutoffs. Just looking for some constructive advice, thank so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, not with those stats. Almost every school would screen you out below a 3.0 even with a great MCAT score.

*there are exceptions, but are few and far between.

It sounds kind of crazy, but if this is truly what you want, you can move to TX for several years and apply to the TX school through their academic fresh start (clean slate) program - but you will have to look up those details as I'm not well versed in them. There is someone on this thread going that route who may chime in and be of assistance, but you can use the search function, too.

Initially when the DO schools said they were stopping grade replacement, there was talk of a few holding onto it for their own criteria, but again, I'm not an AACOMAS expert as I never applied through the system and haven't been paying much attention. Hop over to the pre-DO board and see if you can find anything.

1) If you have not already, you need to read the third post in this thread by DrMidLife:

The Low Gpa--What Do I Do Thread The Low Gpa--What Do I Do Thread

2) Read it again.

3) Make friends with the search function on this website and see what it really takes to come back from a GPA like yours.

4a) Be daunted enough and perhaps smart enough to do something else...

OR

4b) Learn the game. Make a plan. Get to work.

Good luck...this forum is a great resource for those who are willing to mine its depths.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Read this carefully.

Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

Hey all,

I'm currently 25 and considering other job options, and while some may make more sense in my head, med school and being a doctor is in my heart. I honestly can't see myself doing anything else and being legitimately happy. Sure I might be able to get by working and then being happy outside of work, but the only way I can truly see myself being happy going to work day in day out is as a doctor..and I'm completely crushed that I've messed it up so far. The lack of grade replacement continuing feels like a nail in the coffin. Anyways, my stats...

I've completed over 160 credits (5 yr undergrad) so my gpa isn't exactly malleable. I currently work for a non-profit in a health related field, have extensive volunteer/shadowing experience, and am confident I can do well on the MCAT in a year or so if I nail my post-bacc courses. My plan is to work full time (moving home is not an option) and take classes at night in order to make 64 credits worth of A's over the next 2 years, which would bring my GPA up to:

Even with that do I stand any shot? Even at a DO SMP? It looks like many have 2.75 or 3.0 cutoffs. Just looking for some constructive advice, thank so much for your time.

Hey all,

Perhaps this is a stupid question but I don't see it addressed in your post. You have a very low gpa, indicating either a complete lack of effort or academic skill (or probably a combination of the two) why do you think things will be different in the future?

Thanks, Goro! I've been on this site (as a reader) since 2012 or 2013 and your advice has always been awesome. In fact, I was probably on this site too much...getting inspired by low gpa comebacks while my gpa continued to get lower...err I fell into some really bad habits.

As to why I think I can do well in the future. Honestly, if I hadn't taken the MCAT (old exam) and did relatively well (34) I'd be a lot more hesitant to go on this journey and more inclined to think I'm not cut out for the Sciences. I took the mcat after my senior year (before my 5th year) thinking that I would do well on that then get my crap together in classes. But, I still had a lot of underlying issues I hadn't addressed and I didn't do that much better (3.0) in my 5th year. I'm a lot more focused on the step by step process now (as I was with an mcat study schedule) whereas in the past classes I'd always be thinking way too far down the line; continually telling myself things like "gotta get all A's in all these classes!!!" instead of "let's get an A on this assignment, test, etc. en route to getting A's in these classes." In addition, working for two years after undergrad has completely changed my worldview. Let's just say I'm one of those that would have greatly benefited from a year off after high-school/before college, I was not prepared for all of the distractions when I was 18/19/20/21. I worked some blue collar jobs in the summers b/w undergrad terms (at a Produce company) but this has been a totally different experience as I am cognizant that I'm an adult now and need to get serious about my future career. I've seen how many people hate their job and just get happiness from life outside of work, and I really don't want to fall into that sort of complacency. I think I would love a job as a doctor, and before that as a Med Student and Resident, more than any other career path.

Sorry for the ramble, tl;dr - I have a way different perspective now and think that will translate into good grades.

One more thing - I understand I'll have to retake the new exam, which is quite a bit different. Hopefully I can do just as well!

A postbacc/SMP could be a good option

Life isn't a straight line. I graduated 273rd out of a 286 person High School class, enlisted in the Marines, and was accepted for transfer into the engineering programs at two top-10 schools two years after I got out. Your story makes you unique, and that's not a bad thing. Keep at it.