Low GPA (although upward trend), Decent MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mduran1021

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this website but have been periodically checking in during my breaks from secondary apps.

I have an upward trending GPA from TCU of 3.2, took MCAT last year and got a 24N; retook this summer and received a 32O. I am an Arizona resident, have 6 years of Hospital volunteer experience (avg of 15 hours/week), one year Clinical experience at free clinic in underserved community, am fluent in English and Spanish, and also took a full load for a year of upper division science classes post-grad (earned 3.8 GPA for that year). What are my chances at MD school? I am also applying to some DO schools.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

By my rough figures, your overall undergrad GPA with the postbac is about 3.32. With a 3.32/32 you'd have about a 33% chance of an MD acceptance according to past AMCAS stats. If you are an under-represented minority this would be higher, and I believe your at-least-two-year upward grade trend will make it more likely you'll be successful than is indicated.

Hi all, I am new to this website but have been periodically checking in during my breaks from secondary apps.

I have an upward trending GPA from TCU of 3.2, took MCAT last year and got a 24N; retook this summer and received a 32O. I am an Arizona resident, have 6 years of Hospital volunteer experience (avg of 15 hours/week), one year Clinical experience at free clinic in underserved community, am fluent in English and Spanish, and also took a full load for a year of upper division science classes post-grad (earned 3.8 GPA for that year). What are my chances at MD school? I am also applying to some DO schools.
Thank you

With your MCAT, you have a good chance at getting into a DO school.

Thank you for the feedback. I have my heart set on MD, should I take more classes this year? I will be working full time at private healthcare laboratory, so it may be difficult to handle a full science load.
Recommendations?
Thank you