Looking to pursue an OCS Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rdc21422

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to pursue an orthopedic PT residency upon graduation. I'm currently a 3rd year PT student and graduate in December. First, would you recommend applying to schools before graduation or does that make you less competitive, or should I begin applying to schools before I graduate? Also, how generally competitive are residency programs? Lastly, what do programs really look for from applicants to set themselves apart and build the best resume? Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Rdc21422,
Firstly, congrats on your upcoming graduation!

Second, I have some questions for you: Are you intent on going through an academic residency, or are you open to doing a residency through an employer-offered route? Did you also know there are hybrid programs offered by programs, allowing you to work and live where you want to?

Generally, the in-house programs that accept 1-2 residents are more competitive than the employer-offered or hybrid routes. However, I'm not sure competitive = better. At the end of the day, the intent of the residency is to prepare you to successfully pass the OCS exam and improve your clinical acumen and confidence in all areas orthopedic.

Lastly, those that do residencies and fellowships seem to self-select. That is, everyone is driven and dedicated. You have to personable, willing to be mentored, and open to criticism. Having good grades ought to be prerequisite; having immeasurables that others do not or cannot articulate is a good start.

PM me with any questions.

Hi Rdc21422,
Firstly, congrats on your upcoming graduation!

Second, I have some questions for you: Are you intent on going through an academic residency, or are you open to doing a residency through an employer-offered route? Did you also know there are hybrid programs offered by programs, allowing you to work and live where you want to?

Generally, the in-house programs that accept 1-2 residents are more competitive than the employer-offered or hybrid routes. However, I'm not sure competitive = better. At the end of the day, the intent of the residency is to prepare you to successfully pass the OCS exam and improve your clinical acumen and confidence in all areas orthopedic.

Lastly, those that do residencies and fellowships seem to self-select. That is, everyone is driven and dedicated. You have to personable, willing to be mentored, and open to criticism. Having good grades ought to be prerequisite; having immeasurables that others do not or cannot articulate is a good start.

PM me with any questions.

Thanks a bunch for your response and congratulations! I am definitely more inclined to pursue an academic residency, as I think the opportunities to interact with more health care professionals and disciplines as well as academic/teaching options are more prevalent. I am not opposed to either of the other options, though. I would also prefer the faster track of employer and academic residency routes, as well as the more mentorship and feedback. Ultimately, I would love to pursue residency and continue on to fellowship to continue to expand my education and further my own professional development.

I'm definitely motivated, willing to be mentored and open to criticism as all of these traits are essential for educational advancement, and really above all what I seek with this pursuit. I could understand that this would be a competitive process naturally as each candidate would have a strong application. What would you consider immeasurable that others do not or cannot articulate?

A bit more about myself and my candidate profile: I have a 3.98 cumulative GPA in PT school, and 4.0 in all orthopedic related courses. I am a board certified athletic trainer and have my FMS certification. I recently joined MedBridge and have been completing some continuing education courses on there, as well as have been a member of Dr.E's Modern Manual Therapy. I definitely will be pursuing some more continuing clinical education courses, as well as attending the National Student Conclave in October. Is there anything else I could do to improve my candidacy and profile? Also, would you suggest reaching out to program directors to learn more about their respective programs?