Looking for good med-schools in Latin America (argentina and others)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yotes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking into studying medicine in Latin America (pretty broad, yes), and I'm finding it hard to get concrete info about school there. I grew up in Brazil, but im actually from Israel, and unfortunately both of these countries have horrible mandatory entrance exams that have nothing to do with medicine, which i have no interest in taking.

So I started looking into med-schools in Argentina because I heard there are some good ones there, but I can't find info about their costs, admission of foreign students, costs of living in Argentina and entrance exams. Also, which would be to best schools to apply to. Could anyone help me out with this?

Also, since I'm so open about where to go, I would love to get answers to the above questions about med-schools in any country in L.A.

Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, i go to the University of Buenos Aires, i have a lot of schoolmates from Brazil, i think you just need a student Visa to study here but i' m not sure.
We don' t have an admission exam, we just have to do a year of premed with 6 subjects (chemistry, cell biology, math, history, epistemology and biophysics) If you pass all the tests, you' re in med school.

Let me tell you about Venezuela.

There is only a bunch of universities where you can study Medicine. There's Universidad Central de Venezuela, Universidad de Carabobo, Universidad de los Andes, among a few others. These are the most recognized nationwide. For entrance, you have two options: you can get officially assigned by the OPSU (an institution in charge of managing most things related to university studies in the country) if you have gotten above-average grades throughout your high-school years or you can take an admission test which is administered annually by the universities themselves. These tests usually measure basic math, chemistry, and verbal reasoning skills and are easy to pass. If you succeed in them, you're in medical school. The process is quite easy compared to other countries such as USA, Germany, and the likes. You only need to have completed high-school and that's it. In your case, you would need a visa and have an excellent command of Spanish, but basically this is what the process is about.