This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Publication vs. SMP

• Publication

• SMP

Results are only viewable after voting.

Agent407

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,

Before I begin, here's some potentially helpful info on myself (I'll try my best to keep it short). I initially didn't do so well in school and had no interest becoming a physician. This all changed when I got seriously injured in a motorcycle accident (I reveal this because my gpa reflects this trend). Since deciding to pursue medicine, I've completed close to 300 hours (and counting) volunteering in a hospital, 80 hours volunteering for a youth homeless shelter, completed a years work of research for my former biochemistry professor (work not published), worked as a medical scribe for a well-respected doctor (president of the "american college of _____" specialty), and have a job as a lab tech in that doctors clinical research facility (also to note, this research facility has 2 doctors. While only one is on the admissions committee for the local med school, they're both considered "clinical professors").

I was unsuccessful at getting accepted anywhere this year with my (admittedly) sub-par statistics (seen below). Nonetheless, I haven't given up this dream of mine to go to medical school and I continued to take positive steps toward this goal. Knowing I have sub-par statistics, I applied to several SMPs. So far, I've only been accepted to Rutgers, have been waitlisted at Boston U, and am still waiting to hear back from Tufts. With all that being said, the doctors I currently work for have expressed interest in helping me achieve my dream. They've said if I stay and work for them one more year, they'll promote me to clinical research coordinator, help get my name published in a medical journal (they honored this commitment for a fellow coworker, so I know they're sincere), and write me letters of rec. So my question is, should I stay and work for another year and re-apply in 2018 or should I go to one of the 3 SMPs listed above (assuming I get into all 3)?

TLDR; I work for excellent, well-respected doctors who do research. Should I stay, work for these physicians, and get published in a medical journal or should I go the SMP route?

cGPA: 3.07
sGPA: 2.88
MCAT: 502 (will retake this year).

Thanks in advanced for any advice ya'll give, it's truly appreciated. If this has been discussed already and there's a link somewhere, please feel free to post the link and tell me to shut up.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA and MCAT are the first areas that most adcoms will evaluate. some schools even have automatic cutoffs for secondaries, as you probably know. since you already know that your stats are on the low side even for osteopathic programs, those would be the first and foremost areas to address.

I would recommend going the SMP route, especially if the program has linkages. I believe tufts guarantees an interview for students who achieve a certain GPA in their postbac, and that's a good starting point. your GPA, especially sGPA, calls into question your ability to handle rigorous science courses. SMPs are essentially med school auditions and will help alleviate some of that doubt if you do well.

research is nice, but it's more of shiny trimmings on the tree rather than the support.

Reactions: 3 users
GPA and MCAT are the first areas that most adcoms will evaluate. some schools even have automatic cutoffs for secondaries, as you probably know. since you already know that your stats are on the low side even for osteopathic programs, those would be the first and foremost areas to address.

I would recommend going the SMP route, especially if the program has linkages. I believe tufts guarantees an interview for students who achieve a certain GPA in their postbac, and that's a good starting point. your GPA, especially sGPA, calls into question your ability to handle rigorous science courses. SMPs are essentially med school auditions and will help alleviate some of that doubt if you do well.

research is nice, but it's more of shiny trimmings on the tree rather than the support.

It'll be a tough decision to make but what you just said is very helpful. Thank you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to second on what @gamieg mentioned. Also, while doing the SMP there would be opportunities to add to your list of LORs and EC. It is a win win. Acing the SMP should be your top priority to revamp your GPA. My Postbac GPA was on the low side but I had a science background GPA that helped me push both AMCAS calculated GPAs above the 3.5 mark. If I did not have that, I would have gone the SMP route as well.

Reactions: 1 user
@gamieg nailed it. Your numbers are what's holding you back currently, and what need to be fixed to get you "to the door". Your ECs and research can help you get "through the door" but at this point, your numbers are stopping you at the curb...

Explain to your PIs how much you appreciate their support, and continue in the lab(s) if you can in your spare time. But without fixing your numbers and proving you are academically capable of succeeding, all the research and publications in the world won't fix what's holding you back.

Reactions: 1 users
I would look into a program that also boosts your undergrad GPA and addresses the MCAT. I did one at Drexel (MSP) and everyone that was able to handle the work made in into med. schools of all different caliber. Plus the vast majority did very well on the MCAT. SMP's are great but I have spoken to several admissions directors who will not overlook low uGPA's even in the face of high SMP grades. (I dont really understand why that is but it seems to be a theme). Otherwise I totally agree with the others that your problem will be best solved in a classroom than a research setting. Best of luck moving forward and if this is truly what you want, never give up my friend.

@RugbyPremed @DokterMom @Mantis32 Wow. I didn't expect this many positive and supportive comments. Thank you all for the insight and input. I think no matter what I'm going to retake the MCAT. Now, assuming go the SMP route, it's just a matter of figuring which one would be best for meeting my needs. @Mantis32 would you mind if I PM you to ask more about the SMP at Drexel?

@RugbyPremed @DokterMom @Mantis32 Wow. I didn't expect this many positive and supportive comments. Thank you all for the insight and input. I think no matter what I'm going to retake the MCAT. Now, assuming go the SMP route, it's just a matter of figuring which one would be best for meeting my needs. @Mantis32 would you mind if I PM you to ask more about the SMP at Drexel?

Of course you can.

A publication will NOT help your app. You need to demonstrate that you can handle med school. So far, you haven't done that.

hence, do a SMP or DIY post-bac, and ace it (and MCAT as well).

Hey SDNers,

Before I begin, here's some potentially helpful info on myself (I'll try my best to keep it short). I initially didn't do so well in school and had no interest becoming a physician. This all changed when I got seriously injured in a motorcycle accident (I reveal this because my gpa reflects this trend). Since deciding to pursue medicine, I've completed close to 300 hours (and counting) volunteering in a hospital, 80 hours volunteering for a youth homeless shelter, completed a years work of research for my former biochemistry professor (work not published), worked as a medical scribe for a well-respected doctor (president of the "american college of _____" specialty), and have a job as a lab tech in that doctors clinical research facility (also to note, this research facility has 2 doctors. While only one is on the admissions committee for the local med school, they're both considered "clinical professors").

I was unsuccessful at getting accepted anywhere this year with my (admittedly) sub-par statistics (seen below). Nonetheless, I haven't given up this dream of mine to go to medical school and I continued to take positive steps toward this goal. Knowing I have sub-par statistics, I applied to several SMPs. So far, I've only been accepted to Rutgers, have been waitlisted at Boston U, and am still waiting to hear back from Tufts. With all that being said, the doctors I currently work for have expressed interest in helping me achieve my dream. They've said if I stay and work for them one more year, they'll promote me to clinical research coordinator, help get my name published in a medical journal (they honored this commitment for a fellow coworker, so I know they're sincere), and write me letters of rec. So my question is, should I stay and work for another year and re-apply in 2018 or should I go to one of the 3 SMPs listed above (assuming I get into all 3)?

TLDR; I work for excellent, well-respected doctors who do research. Should I stay, work for these physicians, and get published in a medical journal or should I go the SMP route?

cGPA: 3.07
sGPA: 2.88
MCAT: 502 (will retake this year).

Thanks in advanced for any advice ya'll give, it's truly appreciated. If this has been discussed already and there's a link somewhere, please feel free to post the link and tell me to shut up.

Okay you're advice is very good but you GOT 10 ACCEPTANCES?
THAT'S AWESOME

A publication will NOT help your app. You need to demonstrate that you can handle med school. So far, you haven't done that.

hence, do a SMP or DIY post-bac, and ace it (and MCAT as well).
Goro, could you kindly elaborate on the DIY post-bac? For instance, post-bac at a CC or a 4-year university (where price is significantly different?)
My school's pre-health advisor isn't knowledgeable for re-applicants. So, your advice would be much appreciated.

4 year school is preferable, but if $ is a major issue, a CC might be OK.

Goro, could you kindly elaborate on the DIY post-bac? For instance, post-bac at a CC or a 4-year university (where price is significantly different?)
My school's pre-health advisor isn't knowledgeable for re-applicants. So, your advice would be much appreciated.