Looking for advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do I have a shot?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MMF84

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 32 years old and just finished my degree in Mathematics with an emphasis in Statistics. However, along the way I did get a D- in computer science and an F in Analysis due to some health issues. I retook the Analysis class and got an A-. I also have about 8 W's from a little over 10 years ago, which is when I had my oldest child. Overall I have a 3.55 GPA and I have just now started the process of my pre-reqs. I got an A in both of my Gen Chem classes and start the O Chem and Biology in the Fall. I'm wondering how bad these things will affect me and if I even have a shot at medical school. I have over 500 hours of volunteer work at a PICU and Hospice, 200 hours of shadowing 2 different surgeons, and I currently work for a non-profit focused on helping those with down syndrome. I am also a youth soccer coach, a volunteer for the Special Olympics, a tutor, and a member of my school's Math Club. I am obviously a non-traditional student and I've heard they have begun to favor that. I think my story is unique as I went from being homeless to getting my life together and getting my degree as single mom. I was just looking for advice, to see if people had ever heard of someone like me getting in. I am going to take the MCAT next spring and try to apply June 2018. Any advice would be truly helpful! Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am 32 years old and just finished my degree in Mathematics with an emphasis in Statistics. However, along the way I did get a D- in computer science and an F in Analysis due to some health issues. I retook the Analysis class and got an A-. I also have about 8 W's from a little over 10 years ago, which is when I had my oldest child. Overall I have a 3.55 GPA and I have just now started the process of my pre-reqs. I got an A in both of my Gen Chem classes and start the O Chem and Biology in the Fall. I'm wondering how bad these things will affect me and if I even have a shot at medical school. I have over 500 hours of volunteer work at a PICU and Hospice, 200 hours of shadowing 2 different surgeons, and I currently work for a non-profit focused on helping those with down syndrome. I am also a youth soccer coach, a volunteer for the Special Olympics, a tutor, and a member of my school's Math Club. I am obviously a non-traditional student and I've heard they have begun to favor that. I think my story is unique as I went from being homeless to getting my life together and getting my degree as single mom. I was just looking for advice, to see if people had ever heard of someone like me getting in. I am going to take the MCAT next spring and try to apply June 2018. Any advice would be truly helpful! Thanks everyone!

Change your avatar pic to protect your anonymity. Your story is looking pretty good. Kill the rest of your prereqs and take the MCAT when you are truly ready (don't rush).

Reactions: 2 users

Those bad grades and past Ws will not seriously impact your chances of getting in somewhere. Show them that the you of now is not the you of then. Your cGPA is very solid. Finish strong in your pre reqs and get a solid MCAT and you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Change your avatar pic to protect your anonymity. Your story is looking pretty good. Kill the rest of your prereqs and take the MCAT when you are truly ready (don't rush).
Thank you for the advice!!! Just changed it. I appreciate the advice and guidance, it means a lot!

Those bad grades and past Ws will not seriously impact your chances of getting in somewhere. Show them that the you of now is not the you of then. Your cGPA is very solid. Finish strong in your pre reqs and get a solid MCAT and you will be fine.
Thanks! I'm hoping to nail these last few classes and study my butt of for the MCAT. I'm just not the best test taker so I get really nervous about a 7.5 hour exam

I think your chances would be great (not that I have any particular expertise to evaluate your circumstances), but it sure seems, at least from a humanistic perspective you would be an empathetic, principled clinician who would represent the medical profession well. I think your older grades would be balanced by subsequent ones, so that shouldn't be too problematic. Obviously, MCAT score will be important, but at this stage, I think you're very viable. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user