Looking for advice on scheduling step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swk11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! So I'm an M3 currently in the process of scheduling step 2. I was wondering if I could get some advice. It seems to be the consensus that you should have your step 2 score available by the time you apply if you're applying to highly competitive programs. That being said, I was wondering if you think it would be reasonable to schedule step 2 shortly after an Ob/Gyn rotation. Here is my tentative timeline:

4 more weeks of Peds
6 weeks of OB
1 week dedicated to step 2 studying
Step 2 July 5

So here's what I would have to do:
- Study for Peds shelf & finish peds rotation
- Study for Ob/Gyn shelf & complete ob/gyn rotation
- Study for step 2 during the above

Here is some info that may be helpful in providing advice:

All other shelf scores (neurology, IM, surgery, FM, psych) were >95th percentile.
Step 1: 261
My goal is to beat my Step 1 score.

My alternative:
- Take IM sub-I first block of 4th year and focus on the rotation and getting LoR
- Take a medicine subspecialty elective in 2nd block of 4th year and study during that
- Take step 2 after 2nd block of 4th year (results would come in shortly after applications are sent out)

My gut says I would be able to do it... but I'm still feeling apprehensive about it. I'd really like to have it done early while shelf exams are fresh and so I don't have to worry about it in 4th year. What do you guys think? Is it reasonable? Let me know if there's any other information you want.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know who told you need to have step 2 in for competitive programs cause that is definitely not what i have heard from program directors from mult prgrams. Especially for someone that got 260 on step 1. If you are an IMG, then yes you should have it in early, but as a US MD your 260 on step 1 is all that matters in terms of board scores. A step 2 score above or around 260 is not gonna anything to your application even if you get 250, it wont matter. So take it whenever you want, I'm you'll do well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't know who told you need to have step 2 in for competitive programs cause that is definitely not what i have heard from program directors from mult prgrams. Especially for someone that got 260 on step 1. If you are an IMG, then yes you should have it in early, but as a US MD your 260 on step 1 is all that matters in terms of board scores. A step 2 score above or around 260 is not gonna anything to your application even if you get 250, it wont matter. So take it whenever you want, I'm you'll do well.

Okay. Thanks for your input. The only reason I thought it was preferred to have it done early and on your application was due to the comments in the match results thread in the internal medicine forum. Several of the applicants felt as though they would have received more interview invitations if they had had their step 2 in earlier as it was another component to their application that might set them apart from other competitive applicants.

Okay. Thanks for your input. The only reason I thought it was preferred to have it done early and on your application was due to the comments in the match results thread in the internal medicine forum. Several of the applicants felt as though they would have received more interview invitations if they had had their step 2 in earlier as it was another component to their application that might set them apart from other competitive applicants.

Nah dude, you already have above a 260, another score above 260 doesn't add anything to your application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app