Looking for advice...from PT to DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

destinychild.n

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a foreign PT. I have a bachelor's degree and 2 years of experience in public hospital (Europe). I moved to States 6 years ago, now I live in Vegas. I haven't done anything so far. If I want to practice PT again and get license, do I need to get a doctor's degree or is there another way? Is it hard to pass border exam without attending DPT school? Is it worth it to go to DPT school and pay 88K/3 years? FCCPT report of evaluation of educational credentials told me that I need to have at least masters degree to be equivalent. How much can I make in Vegas after DPT school and how fast can I return the loan?

Thank u for all comments

Members don't see this ad.

If you only have a bachelor's degree and FCCPT told you that you need a master's to sit for the NPTE, then you'll need to go back to school. There is no other way.

Is it worth it to go to DPT school and pay 88K/3 years? It depends on your individual circumstances.

How much can I make in Vegas after DPT school and how fast can I return the loan? Check the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) and various websites for average salaries. How fast you can pay back the loan also depends on your individual circumstances.

If you only have a bachelor's degree and FCCPT told you that you need a master's to sit for the NPTE, then you'll need to go back to school. There is no other way.

Is it worth it to go to DPT school and pay 88K/3 years? It depends on your individual circumstances.

How much can I make in Vegas after DPT school and how fast can I return the loan? Check the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) and various websites for average salaries. How fast you can pay back the loan also depends on your individual circumstances.

when did they changed in U.S. that min education is MPT or DPT and bachelor's is not enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools in the US stopped offering a MPT around 2005 or so. There may have been a few stragglers until 2007-2008, but all PT programs now are DPT.

I would check with the Nevada PT or medical board, whoever is responsible for conferring licenses. There may be extenuating circumstances i.e. practicing for 2 years with a European license might allow you to sit for the exam. Probably differs from state to state.

Hello, I am a foreign PT. I have a bachelor's degree and 2 years of experience in public hospital (Europe). I moved to States 6 years ago, now I live in Vegas. I haven't done anything so far. If I want to practice PT again and get license, do I need to get a doctor's degree or is there another way? Is it hard to pass border exam without attending DPT school? Is it worth it to go to DPT school and pay 88K/3 years? FCCPT report of evaluation of educational credentials told me that I need to have at least masters degree to be equivalent. How much can I make in Vegas after DPT school and how fast can I return the loan?

Thank u for all comments
There are post professional masters programs (an MS in PT) that may fulfill your requirements for less time and money than the DPT. They really seem geared toward those in very similar situations. It is of course very specific to each individual, but worth looking into.

Reactions: 1 users
You can also look into TDPT programs, which are specifically designed for PTs who graduated under old regulations and only hold a PT degree. Depending on the gaps in your FCCPT transcript, you should be able to finish the program much faster as well.

Reactions: 1 user