Looking at EMR? Avoid NextGen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucknut101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my group started EMR around 2 weeks ago. The heads of our group decided to go with NextGen after looking at a few systems. So far it's been a completely miserable experience. For a company that supposedly has worked with ophthalmic practices before, the system is totally user unfriendly and has so many quirks and flaws it's mind boggling. To boot the customer service is atrocious. Call for help with problems? You get the run around and get transfered to multiple departments and nobody can every answer your question!

Just thought I'd share this. Hopefully stop someone else from making a huge mistake. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

NextGen is probably the most expensive system, for which you would get the worst bang for your buck. It completely lacks customizability, and can take weeks to months to create your ideal template, which can cost a pretty penny. Sorry to hear about your purchase. You could've gotten better EMR's for much less.

I remember calling for a price quote and they were very hush hush and ambiguous about it. Bad sign.

NextGen is probably the most expensive system, for which you would get the worst bang for your buck. It completely lacks customizability, and can take weeks to months to create your ideal template, which can cost a pretty penny. Sorry to hear about your purchase. You could've gotten better EMR's for much less.

I remember calling for a price quote and they were very hush hush and ambiguous about it. Bad sign.
Yep agree with everything you said. Unfortunately the doctors in my group (I'm just an employee right now, not a partner and don't get to decide anything) chose poorly. One of the many examples why I'm starting to look for another job!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard similar things about NextGen. Very expensive. They'll tell you that they have staying power, as they're big and have been in the business for years, compared to many of the smaller companies that popped up after the EHR mandate. That's great, but there's more to it than that. We adopted EHR about a year ago. We were down to NextGen and Compulink. When the NextGen rep came in to demonstrate, she kept getting error messages popping up. Seemed like she didn't know what she was doing. We thought, there's no way we'll be able to teach our staff how to use this, if she can't use it! Compulink was smooth as silk in the demo. It was also much cheaper and had eye-specific templates that we were able to modify. NextGen gives you a blank slate that you have to adapt to your uses. Can be very overwhelming. There's enough stress with the process. You don't want more! There have been plenty of bumps in the road, mind you, but we're happy with Compulink.

After using NextGen for 4 weeks now I really wonder if any doctors at all were involved in designing this system. It's so user unfriendly and inefficient I sometimes really want to pick up the computer monitor and chuck it out the window.

Reactions: 1 user
I was lucky that during residency we had Epic. I really didn't like it when I first started using it, but then, I learned how to create "dot phrases" and it made things much easier. Sending consults became a snap.

Epic is really $$$ and it unfortunate that most practices can't take advantage of this integrated product.

I think an EMR discussion can be helpful. Any other success or failures with EMR's? I am charged with investigating them as the newest partner and most tech savvy (which isn't saying much). I looked at NextGen and didn't like the interface. Seemed very click heavy (therefore time wasting). Also looked at ifa and liked it ok. Wonder about the conversion of German/European management, coding, etc and the ever changing and stringent US govt requirements. It's about as expensive as Medflow (read: very), but Medflow seems a bit busy on the screen. I guess you get used to that aspect and Medflow has been around for a while and are very big. We looked at Compulink and it seems ok considering the relatively lower cost. Wondering if anyone has experience with OIS/Merge or SRSoft? At the end of the day, you get all of these in-house or virtual demos and a lot run together and it gets hard to truly compare systems. I have definitely eliminated some based on demos and Academy booth presentations, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of independent reviews or info out there that I know of. Any opinions?

I think an EMR discussion can be helpful. Any other success or failures with EMR's? I am charged with investigating them as the newest partner and most tech savvy (which isn't saying much). I looked at NextGen and didn't like the interface. Seemed very click heavy (therefore time wasting). Also looked at ifa and liked it ok. Wonder about the conversion of German/European management, coding, etc and the ever changing and stringent US govt requirements. It's about as expensive as Medflow (read: very), but Medflow seems a bit busy on the screen. I guess you get used to that aspect and Medflow has been around for a while and are very big. We looked at Compulink and it seems ok considering the relatively lower cost. Wondering if anyone has experience with OIS/Merge or SRSoft? At the end of the day, you get all of these in-house or virtual demos and a lot run together and it gets hard to truly compare systems. I have definitely eliminated some based on demos and Academy booth presentations, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of independent reviews or info out there that I know of. Any opinions?

As I detailed above, we've had a pretty good experience with Compulink. There have been bumps in the road, but overall it's good, especially for the price. Our managing partner is now on the advisory board, trying to help them improve certain aspects. It's very customizable and they've been very receptive to suggestions.

Fact is that most systems will be click heavy (unless you prefer hotkeys, which I don't). We actually invested in touch screens, hoping to utilize that type of interface over mouse clicks. Was too difficult. We were having a lot of fat fingered errors in entry. Everyone is pretty much mouse, except the front office folks who were used to hotkeys from our prior PM system.

I've heard good things about MedFlow, but it is pretty expensive. Not familiar with OIS/Merge. My understanding about SRSoft is that it's a hybrid system with a lot of scanning of documents, rather than data entry. Makes it faster, but I suspect it will be problematic with meaningful use.

What you need to understand is all of these systems are a major adjustment. You can only adapt the systems to a degree. It's more on you to adapt yourself to the system. Once you've been doing paper charts for years, it's a shock to switch, but it's doable. I recommend slow implementation. Start with the PM, then new patients only (should only be 7-10 per day for most docs). That will give the techs/staff time to get used to the system. Finally, gradually introduce established patients in groups (e.g., last name A-C). Also, it's okay to hold onto the paper charts as a safety blanket, until you have your established patients firmly in the system. It's too difficult to review scanned charts in the system. Using this approach, we experienced very little slowdown in patient volume.

If you want more info, PM me, and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

I have used Epic, VersaSuite, Medinotes and will be using Mediflow in a year.

IMHO, Epic is a great EMR. No one can match in in customization, stability and support. Unfortunately, it is not available to private practices and small institutions just yet.

VersaSuite- worst EMR I have ever seen and used. Completely unstable, very poor customer support, lack of customization, not user friendly. Stay away.

Medinotes- that's what our practice is currently using. I like it a lot. Your note is on one page (unlike VersaSuite). Stable. Good customer support. At present, we customized it enough that all our techs, front staff and MDs like it. Unfortunately, it is going away for us.

Mediflow- our whole organization signed up to switch to AllScripts within the next year. AllScripts had acquired Mediflow as it's ophthalmology unit. I am getting mixed reviews with it (there is a big group in San Diego that hates it and had to go to scanned notes to be able to somehow adapt to it). We shall see.

As I detailed above, we've had a pretty good experience with Compulink. There have been bumps in the road, but overall it's good, especially for the price. Our managing partner is now on the advisory board, trying to help them improve certain aspects. It's very customizable and they've been very receptive to suggestions.

Fact is that most systems will be click heavy (unless you prefer hotkeys, which I don't). We actually invested in touch screens, hoping to utilize that type of interface over mouse clicks. Was too difficult. We were having a lot of fat fingered errors in entry. Everyone is pretty much mouse, except the front office folks who were used to hotkeys from our prior PM system.

I've heard good things about MedFlow, but it is pretty expensive. Not familiar with OIS/Merge. My understanding about SRSoft is that it's a hybrid system with a lot of scanning of documents, rather than data entry. Makes it faster, but I suspect it will be problematic with meaningful use.

What you need to understand is all of these systems are a major adjustment. You can only adapt the systems to a degree. It's more on you to adapt yourself to the system. Once you've been doing paper charts for years, it's a shock to switch, but it's doable. I recommend slow implementation. Start with the PM, then new patients only (should only be 7-10 per day for most docs). That will give the techs/staff time to get used to the system. Finally, gradually introduce established patients in groups (e.g., last name A-C). Also, it's okay to hold onto the paper charts as a safety blanket, until you have your established patients firmly in the system. It's too difficult to review scanned charts in the system. Using this approach, we experienced very little slowdown in patient volume.

If you want more info, PM me, and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

Hello.
I work for a medical software company, and as I had to search for information about Ophthalmology EMR, I thought I could share some interesting resources:

- an ophthalmologist blog with a section dedicated to EMR
- a "review" of Advanced Data Systems by an independent ophthalmologist
- an "almost objective" article about EMR basic features (a bit old maybe...)
- this article seems more objective and offers an overview of several EMR systems
http://www.ophthalmologyweb.com/Tec...Ophthalmic-Electronic-Medical-Record-Systems/
And if you have to discuss EMRs, I think one important aspect would be to discuss the cloud/non-cloud issue.
This article could give a good starting point.

My office is considering the Officemate program/ExamWriter EMR. It is widely used by optometrists as it supposedly links real well to an optical shop, which we do have. Was curious if anyone had any experience with this software. Any info appreciated. Thanks

I too have heard of people having trouble with NextGen. The wrong EMR can really cause a lot of trouble for an office. So far, I have been lucky with my EMR - IO practiceware. They are ophthalmology-only, use touch-screens (making it easy for staff members who cannot type), and readily available to help with any bumps along the way. Also, I am happy because I just received my first government incentive check!

After using NextGen for 4 weeks now I really wonder if any doctors at all were involved in designing this system. It's so user unfriendly and inefficient I sometimes really want to pick up the computer monitor and chuck it out the window.

We had to use NextGen for our FM residency clinic. It was absolutely awful. The fastest person still needed about 2 months to learn how to sort-of, kind-of use it. Some residents never got the hang of it before they graduated.

The upside is, once you've used NextGen, learning any other EMR on the market is a breeze by comparison. :rolleyes: Small consolation, I know.

Got to this thread a little late (first post). My practice is currently searching for a system. Has anyone heard of IO Practiceware?

So my group started EMR around 2 weeks ago. The heads of our group decided to go with NextGen after looking at a few systems. So far it's been a completely miserable experience. For a company that supposedly has worked with ophthalmic practices before, the system is totally user unfriendly and has so many quirks and flaws it's mind boggling. To boot the customer service is atrocious. Call for help with problems? You get the run around and get transfered to multiple departments and nobody can every answer your question!

Just thought I'd share this. Hopefully stop someone else from making a huge mistake. :scared:

Hello!

Here is a video about document management in our emr.

youtube.com/watch?v=GbVc0LiFrCE

If you like it I can Show other parts of the system you can use.

email me to petro at blagodir.com

Are you still looking for a complete software package that only focuses on ophthalmology? Take a look at this short video.

Last edited:
SRS may be just a bit more user friendly because doctors can continue to write & draw on chart notes and that gets scanned into the SRS system...there are clickings but far less than both NextGen and Epic. also meaningful use can be accomplished as we are in our 4th year of reporting (because there are clickings). BUT and i say BUT with capital letters because their customer service sucks. they will nickle and dime you. i also think they do a lot of bait & switch (maybe not intentionally) - they will tell you this is covered but will bill you and you will have to aggressively try to correct their billings. they will also offer classes or demos/webinar for system training or meaningful use training with no up-front cost stated in their flyers/bulletins/website/emails and YOU - thinking that "well, it's training so its covered otherwise how would i know how to use it" - well let me tell you - they will bill you hundreds of dollars later and again good luck in starting a ticket to clarify and correct the situation - they have told us that we got the wrong flyer or email! we have actually even been billed for .48 of a conversation to start a ticket for direct messaging (part of meaningful use) and that registration does not work and the direct messaging does not work - WAIT WHAT?? charged for .48 for conversation to let you know that it's NOT working??!! they are also cloud based which does have a lot of hiccups and slow-downs. so if you have a younger tech-savy doctor, they will constantly complain to the office staff about how slow things are. if you go with your own server - the already high cost gets even more higher! so after all that mouthful - yes SRS is a bit easier to use but same amount of headaches to deal with customer service/account reps/billing department/VP!

NextGen is NOT user friendly at all - Epic is only slightly better. most hospitals and doctors office affiliated with UCSF and Sutter do use Epic and once you get over the initial hurdle - you do become use to using Epic whereas NextGen just continues to be a big pain! i also know some offices that use a free EMR program Practice Fusion and they say that it's a little bit user friendly and its FREE. Optum also has a fairly inexpensive system that i've been told by another doctor that for the low cost - it's not bad. we will be looking into Athena, Intergy (Greenway), and EMA in the next year or so.

hope this help and good luck!

I also received a complaint about NEXTGEN software recently while having a chat with a PT on twitter. Also some dislikes Athena and ECW. why is that?

Has anybody tried the following:

Nextech (not Nexgen)
Management Plus
Athena

I've heard good things about all 3 of them. I've also heard horror stories about Nexgen!!

Has anybody tried the following:

Nextech (not Nexgen)
Management Plus
Athena

I've heard good things about all 3 of them. I've also heard horror stories about Nexgen!!

Our practice picked Nextech/MDI this summer after evaluating multiple systems. We eventually narrowed it down to Nextech/MDI or EyeMD, and I think we would have been happy with either one. We made the transition in late August, and I can say so far that Nextech has been quite good, better than I expected. They have a new version out that reduces the number of clicks, which should speed things up even more. I don't think a "perfect" system exists, but again, I've been pretty impressed with how good Nextech is after 3 months of using it.

Reactions: 1 user