long underwear under your scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crooked castle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be commuting via bus to school and waiting at the stop during Winter time is going to brutal. I was thinking about wearing sweats underneath scrub pants, but someone mentioned long underwear. which is the better option?

Anyone have experience with long underwear? I'm a guy..is it comfortable and not too tight? Recommendations for which kinds/brand?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd wear the sweats OVER your scrubs. That way it keeps your scrubs from getting snow/road sludge all over them.

Reactions: 1 user
Just keep a pair of scrubs in your backpack and wear, warm street clothing. You can always change at school and put your clothing in your locker. Just use your backpack to move the clothes around.

I ride the bus and had the same situation, although it dosen't snow here. I still think having scrubs in the backpack would be easiest.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've found that long underwear pants styled like the grandparents had for the legs and a long sleeve t-shirt up top is best.

So I will be commuting via bus to school and waiting at the stop during Winter time is going to brutal. I was thinking about wearing sweats underneath scrub pants, but someone mentioned long underwear. which is the better option?

Anyone have experience with long underwear? I'm a guy..is it comfortable and not too tight? Recommendations for which kinds/brand?

I wore long johns under my scrubs quite a bit in the winter.

i must have worn long underwear under my scrubs for at least 5 months of the year in Boston. Go all out and get some high quality ones from Patagonia or North Face early in your education. My favorite pair cost $100 but were windproof, and worth every penny during the cold and windy winters. Dental school is hard enough without crappy weather, might as well be comfortable.

i must have worn long underwear under my scrubs for at least 5 months of the year in Boston. Go all out and get some high quality ones from Patagonia or North Face early in your education. My favorite pair cost $100 but were windproof, and worth every penny during the cold and windy winters. Dental school is hard enough without crappy weather, might as well be comfortable.

Same here. I loved wearing my long johns under my scrubs. They kept me nice and toasty. Also make sure you get a good set of boots to trudge around in the snow.

Same here. I loved wearing my long johns under my scrubs. They kept me nice and toasty. Also make sure you get a good set of boots to trudge around in the snow.

I've never worn long johns before, are they tight? Theyre not like thermal underwear are they...cus I think I wore thermals before when I was a kid and those were tight.

@budentite: I'll look into NorthFace and Pantagonia, but are there cheaper ones elsewhere (but still good quality)?

I never wore them before 3rd year of dental school even though my mom bought me some pairs in college for the cold northern winters. They should be form-fitting, but not so tight they restrict circulation or hurt. There is nothing that compares to the high-end ones at Patagonia, and some seasons they don't have the really good ones. They are actually made for skiiers to wear directly under their snow pants, and are much more sophisticated than your grandma's long johns. We're dentists, and by definition that means we are cheap, but it will be the best $100 you will have spent on clothing during dental school.

Ironically, I actually like that they are "tight," because I'm a guy and have to deal with cold-weather issues like shrinkage and chaffing down there, which is exacerbated by the thin-fabric scrubs:mad:. The tights provide warmth and support and comfort, killing 3 birds with one stone:D. You may scoff and think it is not masculine, but I'd like to know how manly you feel waiting for the bus when it's freezing and windy, wearing just your boxers and scrub bottoms with the turtle-effect in full swing.

I've never worn long johns before, are they tight? Theyre not like thermal underwear are they...cus I think I wore thermals before when I was a kid and those were tight.

@budentite: I'll look into NorthFace and Pantagonia, but are there cheaper ones elsewhere (but still good quality)?
Try REI clearance.

... but I'd like to know how manly you feel waiting for the bus when it's freezing and windy, wearing just your boxers and scrub bottoms with the turtle-effect in full swing.

I Heart California.

damn you california!

Anyhow, is there a good site where we can order these online?

I Heart California.

bahaha. this seriously cracks me up. I have lived where the Winter brings too dang much snow for farrrr too long. It really cracked me up the person saying "Are long johns tight" lol!!! Ever woke up to see 6 FEET of snow outside? Not so much fun. My DS is in a town with ridiculously cold winters as well...man, I sure hope residency will be in a place like cali!!!

bahaha. this seriously cracks me up. I have lived where the Winter brings too dang much snow for farrrr too long. It really cracked me up the person saying "Are long johns tight" lol!!! Ever woke up to see 6 FEET of snow outside? Not so much fun. My DS is in a town with ridiculously cold winters as well...man, I sure hope residency will be in a place like cali!!!

I hope u get into one of the programs here! :thumbup:

I'm nearly every time wearing thermal underwear beneath my scrubs. It's cold in the OR for anesthesiologists. Sometimes I'm one of the people that wear a gown too.

Last edited: