Long Distance Relationship

JibsGuy52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting medical school in July. Been dating my girlfriend for 3.5 years and will probably marry her (if all goes well of course). I am moving 6 hours away(driving) for medical school and thus, this will obviously not be easy. She works full time as well.

Any tips for this as a first year medical student? Previous stories of this working out in similar situations is encouraged as well :)

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

JibsGuy52 said:
any tips???????????????????????????????????
good luck with that :luck: :luck:

girlfriends come easier once you're an attending.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat. I'll be moving about 7 hours away and we have been together for almost 3 years. I know it won't be easy but it takes two people to wanna make it work. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting medical school in July. Been dating my girlfriend for 3.5 years and will probably marry her (if all goes well of course). I am moving 6 hours away(driving) for medical school and thus, this will obviously not be easy. She works full time as well.

Any tips for this as a first year medical student? Previous stories of this working out in similar situations is encouraged as well :)

Thank you.

Both of you have to agree that Med School is not an easy walk over and she will not be able to have long conversations with you all the time. It all comes down to a common understanding.

Both of you should have realistic expectations of how often you will get to see each other and talk. It helps if she is also busy with work as well. Definitely not easy but doable. My boyfriend stuck around through vet school, my internship, and now I'm going into my second year of my residency. He starts medical school this summer and we will be going from 5 hours to 7.5 hours apart. We've been together 4.5 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Both of you should have realistic expectations of how often you will get to see each other and talk. It helps if she is also busy with work as well. Definitely not easy but doable. My boyfriend stuck around through vet school, my internship, and now I'm going into my second year of my residency. He starts medical school this summer and we will be going from 5 hours to 7.5 hours apart. We've been together 4.5 years.

:clap:

Make her a priority. Schedule time to talk to her every single day and keep is no matter what. Even if you have to lose sleep/study time, keep your time to talk. Schedule a visit to go see her (shoot for once a month or less. Even with exams/everything going on). Never leave without another visit on the books. Same thing, keep it no matter what. Talk about everything. Be open, be honest. It's not easy, but its so worth it in the end. And have a realistic plan on when she plans to move out to be with you or whether you plan to do a residency where she is. You need to have a time limit. Like it's only going to be for 4 years during school or 2 years until she's going to move out to be with you.

I went to dental school 5 hours from my now husband. The 4 years sucked. A lot. But we made it work. It wasn't easy, but it was worth it. We've been married for 7 years now (got married as soon as school was over) and have a baby. My roomie in school met her now husband when he lived 8 hours away. They did long distance for 2.5 years before they got married. It can work. It just a takes a lot of work.

Hi @JibsGuy52, first of all, congratulations on your acceptance to medical school! I am in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend who is currently a 3rd year med student at a different state, though only 3 hours away. It was definitely tough for me at first, especially since I spent a lot of time with my boyfriend a lot prior to his start of med school. One advice I can give to you is to make sure to talk to your girlfriend about how busy you will be, not only during med school, but also during residency and life as a physician. She has to understand that you might be canceling plans, not be able to talk every second, etc. I remember when my boyfriend had an exam the week of my birthday, and we couldn't celebrate or see each other. She HAS to be understanding of these things.

Though I'm in pharmacy school, I feel that I know how tough med school is just by dating my boyfriend for almost 3 years. You will be tested to your limits, but just know that she is your SO and you should make an effort to reach out to her when you can. Make it a priority to see her when you get those rare free weekends after an exam. Your phone will be your best friend during a LDR. My boyfriend and I talk everyday or at least check up on each other.

Best of luck! I've heard of many people's relationships in med school not working out, but with the right person, you can make it through.