Locums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my last check was for $78k working 30 straight days...i am taking off 3 months. then i will do 15 weeks over the summer and take the entire year off.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
my last check was for $78k working 30 straight days...i am taking off 3 months. then i will do 15 weeks over the summer and take the entire year off.
Wow. Where do you live when you are not working?

I work about 20 weeks a year. I mostly work when my 2 kids under 4 are out from school i.e. 15 weeks in the summer. I stay home spend time with my family and live a normal life when not working.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work about 20 weeks a year. I mostly work when my 2 kids under 4 are out from school i.e. 15 weeks in the summer. I stay home spend time with my family and live a normal life when not working.
This is what I envisioned my practice and life to be. Unfortunately, my reality is very, very far from that.

Reactions: 1 user
you work when your kids are out from schhool? so you dont have to see them? haha

lol...the reality is that I have a nice gig that although technically I am on 24/7, on average I work, as in I am physically in the hospital, for 4 hours a day. Thus, I get to spend the entire summer with them and they don't get to miss school. Because I am off when they are in school, I get to drop them off and pick them up and spend the rest of the day with them,...unlike being employed as I was leaving before they woke up and sometimes coming home after bedtime......and yes you read that right, about $3000 a day for 4 hours a day for 15 weeks in the summer.

and yes you read that right, about $3000 a day for 4 hours a day for 15 weeks in the summer.

Impressive. What general part of the country is this? Do you travel with your family for this assignment, or does it happen to be home for you?

i only travel with my family. We are going to spend 15 weeks in one the largest amusement parks in the country this summer in the north east. Because the hospital is slowly building a neurology practice, I am expecting to work only 4-6 hours a day, however there were times I went in at 11am and went home at 1 or 2pm during the spring break. Let's hope it stays this way

Any tips on applying for different licenses for different states? or are they all pretty much the same as long as you send in the required stuff and pony up the fee?

Any tips on applying for different licenses for different states? or are they all pretty much the same as long as you send in the required stuff and pony up the fee?
My N is 4, but they were basically all the same. "Send us original documents from this enormous list, pay a small ransom, wait a free weeks, get license." The paperwork requirements for some licenses are more onerous than others.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

after taking off so much time... how do you keep up ur skills?
Interesting question and a valid one; I try to master a specific skill each year- this year is EEG. I try to attend courses and have some study time when the little ones are at school. It's always a challenge getting back to speed, but my baby is stroke. Getting settle in the hospital is always easier than getting settle in Clinic.

Wow, the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact costs $700 PLUS each state license fee.
That sounds like too much to me. Especially when I don't need 18 different ones. I already have four. I may get another one.
Or maybe I am too cheap.

Wow, the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact costs $700 PLUS each state license fee.
That sounds like too much to me. Especially when I don't need 18 different ones. I already have four. I may get another one.
Or maybe I am too cheap.

GO get that money playa!