Locums to perm.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i found a place that I would like to work at atleast part time or PRN basis through a locums company.

Unfortunately the locums company is junk. My contact at the locums company, seems like a high school graduate who probably has never stepped foot into the hospital world, or even knows what hospitalist are.
Scheduling etc. is a major pain in the ass, and the hospital works with a bunch of locum companies to get shifts filled. poor communication leads to me not being able to get any shifts.

I was told that if I was to get employed by the hospital directly, they have to pay a "fee" to the locums company. Is there a time limit on this? for e.g. after 365 days, they no longer have to pay a fee etc?

Reason I ask is, cause I dont want to sign a "full time" contract, and want some leverage in negotiation.

Members don't see this ad.

i found a place that I would like to work at atleast part time or PRN basis through a locums company.

Unfortunately the locums company is junk. My contact at the locums company, seems like a high school graduate who probably has never stepped foot into the hospital world, or even knows what hospitalist are.
Scheduling etc. is a major pain in the ass, and the hospital works with a bunch of locum companies to get shifts filled. poor communication leads to me not being able to get any shifts.

I was told that if I was to get employed by the hospital directly, they have to pay a "fee" to the locums company. Is there a time limit on this? for e.g. after 365 days, they no longer have to pay a fee etc?

Reason I ask is, cause I dont want to sign a "full time" contract, and want some leverage in negotiation.

usually this is for a 2 year period...check your contract with the locums company, its usually mentioned.

usually that fee is in the neighborhood of 10-25k, so not a small amount.

are you having to deal with the locums company in regards to scheduling shifts? you should be able to just talk tot he scheduler at your hospital about shifts and then just tell your locums company...its what i have done with mine (but i like my company and my contact there is GREAT).

I've seen this 'conversion fee' be 20% of first year salary if you try to get a permanent job at the same hospital within 2 years. True in my last three contracts - Barton, Vista and Weatherby for hospitalist IM work.