Locums strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belleza156

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was speaking with a locums recruiter today who asked if I was known to other companies. I didn't know what this meant, he went on to explain that sometimes if you request info about a position to an emcare recruiter for example, you are now tied to them even though you aren't working by with them, have no relationship but with them and haven't signed anything with them.

So if I'm looking into locums jobs and basically want higher paying favorable positions, how do I find them without getting tangled up in somehow being associated with a recruiter because I received emailed from them?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What I heard is not to give them your CV. After you give them your CV, they own you.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is how it works.

If you Are being Credentialed, Have worked for, or have contacted CMG Hospital A or Hospital A's system, then Locums middle man can't use you. You have already made contact with CMG A, so they are not paying a middle man $$$$ for leads that they already have.

But You can still get Locums middle man to get you gigs at CMGA's other hospital systems such as in another system.

I have no clue is locums middle man can get me a better rate. I rather just contact CMGA and negotiate with them.

I have no clue is locums middle man can get me a better rate. I rather just contact CMGA and negotiate with them.

In your experience, do you think it's better to cold call Hospital A's medical director or contact CMGA's recruiting office. Which way typically will get you a higher negotiating platform?

So this has been discussed in other threads. A lot of times it turns out that you will get a batter rate from the locums agency than by direct negotiating. This seems counterintuitive, but has happened to a number of people, and is particularly the case with emcare. Of course, you don't have to take anyone's word for it. You can easily play it both ways and contact the locums agency first without signing anything, then contact the CMG directly and see what they offer you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this has been discussed in other threads. A lot of times it turns out that you will get a batter rate from the locums agency than by direct negotiating. This seems counterintuitive, but has happened to a number of people, and is particularly the case with emcare. Of course, you don't have to take anyone's word for it. You can easily play it both ways and contact the locums agency first without signing anything, then contact the CMG directly and see what they offer you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can confirm. Saw a job posting via a locums agency for a site offering 275/hr. Figured out where it was and called the site directly (it was an EMcare site). They offered 220/hr directly. I told them that locums was offering 275 + travel, malpractice etc etc so 220 wasn't a great deal. They countered with 250 without benefits. I stopped responding.

Reactions: 1 user
Can confirm. Saw a job posting via a locums agency for a site offering 275/hr. Figured out where it was and called the site directly (it was an EMcare site). They offered 220/hr directly. I told them that locums was offering 275 + travel, malpractice etc etc so 220 wasn't a great deal. They countered with 250 without benefits. I stopped responding.

Surprise! EmCare suckkks.

Reactions: 2 users
I've had the opposite. Staffcare can't hit 250, and I've bent emcare over for 500 before.

Scheduler. They're the ones who know the dates. They're the ones calling you.
They also burn out at a remarkably high rate.

Ah I gotcha, thanks. So you initially get yourself on staff at a shop at a lower rate and then strike when the desperation and "bonus" rates are high?

Nice.

Though I'm a recent grad I serendipitously walked into a similar setup at one of my sites.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Who is the scheduler?

I thought my Florida license was going to take a long time to come in but it got approved in a few weeks. So now I need to really get the ball rolling with on in Florida.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

Scheduler is usually some low level staff person for EmCare/TSG/TH/etc. They generally last a year before burning out completely due to desperation late nights trying to cover shifts.