Travel Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ERDOC555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a graduating resident who is looking to travel and practice in different states after residency.

1) Is this reasonable for a new residency graduate?
2) What is the hourly or daily rate for such jobs?
3) Pros and cons of using a company or negotiating yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with Derm Locums? I'm asking for a friend who is considering doing some locums work, but hasn't had previous locums experience.

Assuming a standard workday day (roughly 8 hours with 4 patients an hour), what is a considered a reasonable per diem if done through a company? I understand this would vary greatly by region and job, but I'm mostly looking for a range or personal experiences.

Also, is it worth it to negotiate your own deals or are there too many annoying roadblocks like malpractice, travel, and licensure that make this route not worth it, despite the pay increase?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Edit:I realize there are several previous threads, but most are old and/or had few responses.

It's just not that common because most dermatologists don't want to do locums when there are plenty of full-time jobs and most practices don't want to pick up the follow-ups and follow the path/results when you leave. Also it's not like a hospital service such as anesthesia where they absolutely must have coverage so will hire locums to fill any unexpected gap. If a derm practice has a lot of demand for visits, it's probably better to just hire another doc.

The few cases I've seen are moonlighting residents (usually as a way to recruit, and they will probably pay 100-150/ hr) and a few big systems (usually pay like 175-200 / hr). - so basically mediocre pay.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response. The guy I know is looking to take some time off and travel and was thinking of doing locums to make some money to cover expenses.

For the big systems was that 175-200 with a company or without?

Yeah that is secondhand information what I heard Kaiser is paying for locums. I dont know what private practices pay as I don't know any that offer it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.