Locums advice. Thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.gunter22

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I am graduating in 3 month (IM residency) and planning to do locums nocturnist.
Does anybody have any experience with locum tenens? If so, how did it go?
What company did you use to secure the spot?
How many companies should I sign with? I heard 2 at least..
Any tips on what to look for or watch out for in contracts?
Was there room for negotiation (responsibilities, call, salary, housing...etc)?

Thank you!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no useful information on this topic. I am however surprised you are graduating in 3 months and don't already have jobs lined up?

Don't you need to work on credentialing/license? Are you taking time off?

Hi, yeah, I gonna take 2-3 months vacation after residency;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, everyone! I am graduating in 3 month (IM residency) and planning to do locums nocturnist.
Does anybody have any experience with locum tenens? If so, how did it go?
What company did you use to secure the spot?
How many companies should I sign with? I heard 2 at least..
Any tips on what to look for or watch out for in contracts?
Was there room for negotiation (responsibilities, call, salary, housing...etc)?

Thank you!!!!!

You can sign with any number of companies. It doesn't preclude you from applying except in the cases like Sound Physicians -who have a locums arm i.e. Echo locums - and they have the exclusive right to present at every hospital they are contracted with.

For most hospitals though - they don't have an exclusive contract with a locums company; so you'll find many more opportunities if you sign up with multiple companies.

The downside of this is the redundant paperwork they'll ask you to fill out, the references to have forms signed, and sending each company copies of all your credentials eg. licenses, DEA, diplomas etc.

I signed with Vista, Weatherby, Barton and they're all the same in my opinion. Contracts all are full of 2 year non-competes at the hospitals you work, they demand a 20% ransom if you want to break that clause. Things I would watch out for in contracts is geographic non compete, and make sure it is in writing that they will be paying for your tail coverage if they provide "claims based" malpractice.

Everything is negotiable - particularly salary!!! Physicians need to learn get better at negotiating and saying no to things. Assume these companies are getting 30-80% on top of your hourly rate. So try not to accept their first offer. e.g. "Wow, $130/hr is ok - but I'm looking at hospitals within the same geographic area and I'm seeing 160/hr - so I can't in good faith move forward with this opportunity. Thank you for your time." And then wait...

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you very much for a great advice!!! So far I have signed with Vista and Wetherby. Will fly to Nebraska soon;) Thank you, MedicaldoctorV!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
You can sign with any number of companies. It doesn't preclude you from applying except in the cases like Sound Physicians -who have a locums arm i.e. Echo locums - and they have the exclusive right to present at every hospital they are contracted with.

For most hospitals though - they don't have an exclusive contract with a locums company; so you'll find many more opportunities if you sign up with multiple companies.

The downside of this is the redundant paperwork they'll ask you to fill out, the references to have forms signed, and sending each company copies of all your credentials eg. licenses, DEA, diplomas etc.

I signed with Vista, Weatherby, Barton and they're all the same in my opinion. Contracts all are full of 2 year non-competes at the hospitals you work, they demand a 20% ransom if you want to break that clause. Things I would watch out for in contracts is geographic non compete, and make sure it is in writing that they will be paying for your tail coverage if they provide "claims based" malpractice.

Everything is negotiable - particularly salary!!! Physicians need to learn get better at negotiating and saying no to things. Assume these companies are getting 30-80% on top of your hourly rate. So try not to accept their first offer. e.g. "Wow, $130/hr is ok - but I'm looking at hospitals within the same geographic area and I'm seeing 160/hr - so I can't in good faith move forward with this opportunity. Thank you for your time." And then wait...
Thanks.