Loans for International Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, international students are eligible for loans, but you will need a co signer who is a US citizen or green card holder.

If enough people are interested in finding out preferred banks, credit requirements, loan amounts, amounts the school will certify, terms of the loan, disbursement fees etc. I will write in detail since I have recently gone through this process for admission into IDP at UCSF.

If you have further questions, let me know.
Please send me the information I am us citizen studying abroad will need financial assistance to finish my studies in US. This info will be of gr8n help to me and my family. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Could anyone please suggest which banks offer loan to international students? and how to select the best one? Thanks

Does anyone know if Federal loans cover or give some family support? for those with families to support?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please send me the information I am us citizen studying abroad will need financial assistance to finish my studies in US. This info will be of gr8n help to me and my family. Thanks a lot.

Please provide details on your process as it will be very helpful to me and many students here. Thanks very much in advance and we appreciate your time and help.

Do US Citizen need a cosigner or collateral to get a student loan for the International Dentist program?

Hi Everyone,

I am a little confused about the visa and loans. After I have an offer of admission, I need to apply for loans and F1 visa. Now, what confuses me is that when I look up for the requirements of applying for the loans, the banks state that I need to have an I20 or F1 visa. While, when I look at the I20 or F1 visa application, they require a proof of funds. But if I am planning to borrow international student loans to pay for my cost of attendance, shouldn't I be able to get a loan approved prior to applying for visa, so i can prove that I have the adequate funds to support my education. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,

I am a little confused about the visa and loans. After I have an offer of admission, I need to apply for loans and F1 visa. Now, what confuses me is that when I look up for the requirements of applying for the loans, the banks state that I need to have an I20 or F1 visa. While, when I look at the I20 or F1 visa application, they require a proof of funds. But if I am planning to borrow international student loans to pay for my cost of attendance, shouldn't I be able to get a loan approved prior to applying for visa, so i can prove that I have the adequate funds to support my education. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!
I would contact the the place where you picked up the form from. They should be able to tell you what to do in your situation because I am sure they advice other students in your situation too.

Hi! Were you able to solve your dilemma? What did you do ultimately?

Hi Everyone,

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone help me?
I have a co-signer. But when I am applying for private loan they are asking SSN. But as a student I dont have SSN. Can any one tell me which bank give loan with Co-signer but no student SSN?Or what to do ??? Thanks in advance!!!

What if you have a good credit rating? Do u still need a cosigner to take out a study loan?

What if you have a good credit rating? Do u still need a cosigner to take out a study loan?

A co-signer is only required if you are not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.

But I mean as an international (non US citizen) with a good credit rating ( I've been in the US for 5 years now)

For example I can take out loans without cosigners (I dunno about high sums of money)

But I mean as an international (non US citizen) with a good credit rating ( I've been in the US for 5 years now)

Are you a legal permanent resident? If not, then no, you cannot borrow without a co-signer.

Can international students get loans?

What is the process? Are teh interest rates very high?
I think yes, but i'm also sure that you are supposed to have a green card and some other documents that i can't enumerate for now.

I think yes, but i'm also sure that you are supposed to have a green card and some other documents that i can't enumerate for now.
Alright so I can invest my money in cars and house mortgages but I can't borrow money for my education lolol. Thanks for the jnfo

Alright so I can invest my money in cars and house mortgages but I can't borrow money for my education lolol. Thanks for the jnfo
I'm not sure, but I think there should be a solution to this problem. I'm quite sure

Can international students get loans?What is the process?

Can international students get loans?What is the process?

If you are a foreign student and not a US Citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible non-Citizen then you are eligible for private student loans only. You would need to contact a lender of your choice for application information. Note that foreign students are required to have a co-signer who is a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.

If you are a foreign student and not a US Citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible non-Citizen then you are eligible for private student loans only. You would need to contact a lender of your choice for application information. Note that foreign students are required to have a co-signer who is a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Thankx whaleofatale,one more thing..i heard that i will not get F1 visa or will find problem to get F1(student) visa ,if i will show student loan / finance from USA at the time of visa interview. Is it true?

Thankx whaleofatale,one more thing..i heard that i will not get F1 visa or will find problem to get F1(student) visa ,if i will show student loan / finance from USA at the time of visa interview. Is it true?

You will need to be able to show that you can pay for all of your first-year expenses, including the cost of living, before you can get a visa. That either needs to be via cash-in-hand or an approval for a student loan that covers all of your costs.

Reactions: 1 user
You will need to be able to show that you can pay for all of your first-year expenses, including the cost of living, before you can get a visa. That either needs to be via cash-in-hand or an approval for a student loan that covers all of your costs.
okay....thanku dear

I was just admitted to fall 2017. Could anyone suggest some good private loans for me? Thanks a lot

Can someone please explain in details how loans work?
I'll be graduating in 2020 and planning on applying for an advanced standing program on the East coast.
For that I will need a loan covering my full tuition and living expenses for the 2 years of the program (i have a cosigner with a good credit history), and will start repaying once I start working.
Can I show proof that my loan has been accepted as an evidence of funds while applying for a F1 visa?
And how can I change my visa status once I graduate to start working there? I want to stay and work in the US.
Is it a wise choice overall? I hear it's a bit risky but very rewarding after graduation especially in the dental field.
Thanks for your help!

Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to repay the student loan ?

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to repay the student loan ?
Depends on how much loan you end up with, your visa/immigration status etc. Its not easy to get H1B nowdays.

Depends on how much loan you end up with, your visa/immigration status etc. Its not easy to get H1B nowdays.
Is that because we don't find a sponsor or is it because of lottery system?

Is there any international dentist who has done DDS/DMD and has not been able to get a H1B visa?

I have just immigrated to US and I will come to US this October, so i will be a Lawful Permanent Resident. With this status, can i get a loan for my advanced standing program ? And what are the requirements for the loan ?
Thank you in advanced, sorry for my bad english.

1. Even if you get a loan, how long will you need to repay it-and how much is the interest -?
2. Is it a must that the cosigner is related to me or not??
3. Those who tried to convince a citizen to sign for them, can you describe your experience, was it easy or not??
Thanks for your help

1. Even if you get a loan, how long will you need to repay it-and how much is the interest -?
2. Is it a must that the cosigner is related to me or not??
3. Those who tried to convince a citizen to sign for them, can you describe your experience, was it easy or not??
Thanks for your help
1- You choose the repayment plan and period. However, the longer you take to repay, the higher the interest.

2- The cosigner can be anyone from family/relative or friend.

3- You don't ask random people to cosign. Find a relative or a friend with a good credit history and you'll be good to go.

hello dear fellows
I have received an interview invitation already but my permanent residency process is pending, I am waiting only to get the green card. should I go to the interview anyway? do I get eligibility for student loan even if my process is pending?
thank you in advanced
sorry for my bad English

this is really helpful for all students across the world

hi
i'm an international student trying to get into US for residency programs, i had one question.
does Loans cover for rent,food, ... too ? or it's just tuition and fee ?