Loans for International Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can international students get loans?

What is the process? Are teh interest rates very high?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, international students are eligible for loans, but you will need a co signer who is a US citizen or green card holder.

If enough people are interested in finding out preferred banks, credit requirements, loan amounts, amounts the school will certify, terms of the loan, disbursement fees etc. I will write in detail since I have recently gone through this process for admission into IDP at UCSF.

If you have further questions, let me know.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi Helper,

Thanks, it's great to finally find someone who can talk based on their experience. It will be great if you tell us your whole experience, like: (this will probably get long):)

what banks offer this type of loan?
to how many did you apply?
what should be the credit history of your co-signer? I mean most of us are not very familiar with the US credit method, since not in all countries is the same. What's the minimum your co-signer needs to make per year?
Of the institutions you applied to, how many approved you?
what's the cost per year of the program you are going to? Total cost?

And anything else, you think will help

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Helper,
I am also extremely interested in the opportunities international dentists have for loans....could you please tell us all the details?

Even with a Co-signer, I was under the impression that the loan international dentists will get are always a lot more expensive, compared to the Fed loan...

please please please

thanks,

very much appreciated

Ann

Hello DoctorSaab

We are all waiting for your reply.

Thank You.

Hi!
There are several criteria that influence your private loans...
In general they work out to be more expensive than Fed loans, for eg. you cannot consolidate them etc.. but, they are not all bad.
For eg. the signature loan which one of my classmates is using has a 0.5 below the prime rate. Now that is lower than the Fed rate. So it depends on when you take it, and who cosigns your loan.
But private loans have their advantages, they are usually on time, less troublesome to apply... some of my classmates got their living expenditure money from the Federal loan in the middle of the semester! So Fed loans are not always good.. but it makes sense to exhaust them first before going on to the Private loans.
I hope this was helpful.
Saravs

Reactions: 1 user
First, I apologize for not responding sooner to everyone's queries.
Let me tell you a little about UCSF, then I will address the questions related to private loans for foreign dental graduates. The school has increased their quota in the IDP to 24 per year from 16.

For those interested in getting into a reputable school, I would recommend UCSF. The admission staff are very accomodating even if you dont get your loan on time, they will let you register for classes. This past year for 2003 admission into the IDP, appx. out of appx. 140 applicants, 22 got in. Many people tend to ignore UCSF because of their deadlines probably being later in the year.
UCSF costs appx. $90,000 for the first year inlcuding living expenses, tuition, kit (almost 1000 pieces of every imaginable dental instrument minus the chair),text books.

Second year is around 65,000 since you pay for the kit only in the first year.

I only applied to 2 institutions, namely Bank One and Citibank. Citibank has different requirements then Bank One.
Bank One is easier to deal with. They approve about 80% of all loan applications. Interest rates are quite low in general as of today.

Loans are available for foreign students from BankOne / SallieMae. Choose signature student loans.
http://www.studentloannet.com/loans/sig.htm

For me this was the easiest bank to deal with. They approved in 2 days for $90,000. Most banks approve only 1 year at a time. The school has to certify the loan amount you ask for. Basically, the school has an estimate of how much it costs to live and go to school per year. You cannot get a loan for more than the school will certify.

Cosigners are required if the student or applicant is not a citizen or green card holder.
Credit scores of the cosigner is important. The interest rates depend on a person's credit scores. This is diffrent from credit history. While the bank
does not publish it explicitly, they consider an excellent credit score as around 700 plus regardless of the credit bureau.
This will give you the best interest rate. They will offer higher interest rates for those with Fair (appx. 650 ) or Good credit scores (appx. 680)

You cannot apply online or at a branch with Bank One currently if you are a foreign student. You have to call them and they will mail you the application or you can download it at

http://www.studentloannet.com/includes/offsite.asp?site=http://www.salliemae.com/signature/bankone/

Go to the end of the web page and choose the Signature Loan Application and download it as well as the addendum.

The quickest way to send all the information is if you have all the documents sent with the loan application.

Once you have completed the loan application and have all the necessary documents, call the bank, the phone number should be at the web site and ask for the Overnight delivery option. Currently that address is in Lynn Haven, Florida. This is where you will send all the documents.

Documents you will need inlude the completed loan application. Front and back copy of green card of your cosigner; social security number of your cosigner; last couple of pay stubs of your cosigner (preferably less than 30 days old), copy of your current I-94. The I-94 is a document that shows how long you can legally stay in the US. It is not the same as a visa. A visa lets you enter the US. Even if your I-94 expires expires in 6 months it is ok as long as it is valid at the time you apply for the loan.

Send all this to the Florida address as mentioned above and wait.
Call them to make sure they receive it, it takes a day or two to receive. Try to send it on a Monday or Tuesday, so under normal circumstances they may have have a decision before the week is over.

One concern co-signers have is the amount they cosign for and how it will impact them. It turns out it does not impact them negatively because these private student loans are deferred loans, meaning you dont start paying them until 6 months after you graduate i.e. appx. 2.5 years or more from the time you start school. This is good because if the cosigner decides he wants to buy a car or a house within the next 2.5 years, he or she can do so. The student loan will show up on their credit history but it will be a deferred loan, meaning they are not paying for it yet.

Loans are also available for foreign students at
Citibank at
http://studentloan.citibank.com/slcsite/fr_hca2.htm

You need to choose CitiAssist Medical / Dental loans. Details are at the web site.

Some of the requirements:
Cosigners are required if the student is not a green card holder or citizen .
Minimum income: $18,000 per year.

There are other sources for private loans. The above 2 are just the ones I have taken.

I will end this string for now since this is a lot of information to absorb. If you have any more questions I will be more than happy to answer them.

Regards and best of luck !

Reactions: 7 users
Great info!! U truly live up to ur name :clap: :clap:
Thanks a million......i'm sure all of us apprecite ur guidance:D

Reactions: 1 users
Great info!! U truly live up to ur name :clap: :clap:
Thanks a million......i'm sure all of us apprecite ur guidance:D

Thanks Helper,

Great info you just gave us! Really thanks.

I do have a couple more questions.

I don't really know why, but I'm under the impression that foreigners without a green card, who are seeking to apply for a private loan, have less chances of getting accepted into schools, even if they are as good candidates as others. Is that true? I think is just a feeling I have.

On the other hand, Helper, what kind of student visa you got? Does that visa requires you to go back to your country after it's done?
I know some type of student visa requires you to go back to your country for 2 years after the school is over and the visa has expired.
What do you know about this?

Thanks again Helper

Meggs,

In response to your concerns, schools usually grant admission based on educational credentials and the interview, not on your visa status or ability to pay.
Now, once you secure admission, the visa issue and financial issues come into play, that is you can only attend the school on a valid visa and you need to be able to pay to go to school.

The schools in general provide ample sources of information on where and how to get private educational loans. I happened to think that BankOne did a good job in approving and disbursing loans.

There are exceptions, there are schools who prefer green card holders and they explicitly say so or you have to read between the lines.
Schools like NYU, Boston U, UCSF, USC, Loma Linda and UOP have generally been known to accept foreigners without green cards every year.

I can only state the case for UCSF that their policy to grant admissions has nothing to do with you seeking private educational loans or your visa status. I asked them ( both the admissions office and the International Student Office) and they told me so point blank. In fact UCSF will let you register and attend classes even if your loan has not been disbursed yet. They will give you a reasonable period of time to get the funds.

I happen to be on an H-4. You can attend school on an H-4.
I know dental students who are on H-4s and others who are on
F-1s. H-4 visas are dependent visas issued to spouses / dependents of an H-1 visa holder. This visa does not have anything to do with your education directly , but you can attend school on this visa.
F-1 visas are visas issued for you to pursue an education in the US. F-1 visas have an advantage at times because they enable you to get a social security number (the last time I checked). This is not possible if you are on an H-4. When on an F-1, you are eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) where you are eligible to work anywhere in the US in your profession ( provided you have your degree and have met all licensing requirements) for a period of 1 year. This option is not available to H-4 visa holders. Details about OPT can be obtained at your school's international student office. F-1 visas are typically issued under the assumption that you will return to your country after your education and after your OPT expires. This is where it gets a little sticky. The US consular officer will issue an F-1 visa depending on whether he or she is convinced that you will come back. Generally speaking, someone on an F-1 can finish school, get his OPT and start looking for a job. With the OPT card in hand he can start work almost immediately. While working during the OPT period, he can approach his employer to see if they will do your H-1 . If so, the 1 year OPT period gives the employer enough time to do the H-1 and you can be employed while they work on getting you the H-1.

From H-1 to green card is the final process to long term residence in the US.

The visa you may be referring to is the J-1 visa where you are required to leave the US for a 1 or 2 year ( not sure) period after your education or residency is over. I am not very familar with this visa's requirements and pitfalls. If you need more info on J-1 visas, I will look it up if I get a chance. Meanwhile it is worthwhile for you to consider doing some research on J-1 if you need info. quickly.

Hope all this was of use to someone.

Regards

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot Helper! :clap:

"There are exceptions, there are schools who prefer green card holders and they explicitly say so or you have to read between the lines.
Schools like NYU, Boston U, UCSF, USC, Loma Linda and UOP have generally been known to accept foreigners without green cards every year."

Do you happen to know about this school exceptions? The ones who prefer green card holders?

Thanks again, you're awsome, :D

hey helper :
ur in angel........i was considering applying to the same place as u r in ..i wnated to know what ..really hepls u to get in .. what r they really looking for ..dose being a california resident ... for more thna a year have any effect on yr fees..
kosha

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor University requires you to be a green card holder (PR) or citizen to attend their dental program. I can't think of others but there are those that prefer green card holders. Best bet is to check on the web or call the schools.

Just to clarify, I dont want to mislead anyone.
It is my wife who is attending UCSF, she is on an H-4, I am on an H-1.
I have been writing because I know information is powerful and dental students dont have as much time to write in detail.

At UCSF, they consider your Part 1 score, your interview and they administer a practical exam as well as a written exam (not sure).
It is a 3 day process.
Being a California resident has no impact for the 2 year International Dentist Program as far as I know. They dont give you "in-state" tuition if that is what you are referring to.

If you join the regular 4 year DDS program, I believe being a California resident for more than a year means lower tuition.

Some one correct me if I am wrong. Better to confirm from each school.

Regards

hey hepler u have been of great help ...god bless u

Regards[/QUOTE]
thanks helper i cannot express how much ur posts have helped me
thanks a ton and wish u a bright future

Vijay

i read that you if you are on H-4 you can go to school part time, but if you plan on taking 12 or more (full time) you need to change your visa status.

Helper said:
First, I apologize for not responding sooner to everyone's q I will end this string for now since this is a lot of information to absorb. If you have any more questions I will be more than happy to answer them.

Regards and best of luck !

Thanks a zillion......................... :love:

Hello,
Could you guys give more infor about internationals applying to med school and getting accepted!! because every school I talk to they basically shut me down. anyways i'm 2nd year microbio student and will take mcat next year.
thanks

Hello! Is anyone here willing to help me in applying in a loan for international students? I need a U.S. citizaen to be my cosigner for the loan I am applying for. Please help me.

Hello! Is anyone here willing to help me in applying in a loan for international students? I need a U.S. citizaen to be my cosigner for the loan I am applying for. Please help me.

miggy said:

You are not serious..... are you ? :rolleyes:

Hi Helper..

Great information...

We are in teh same boat as you were.. I was wondering if you being on H1 helped to get a student loan? or you had some one else cosign the loan ?

looking forward to see you reply..

Thanks in advance..

dear evry1..plzzz helpp.....can you please tell me the available options for a person who has to take a loan on J1 visa..!!wats J2 visa.??..im yet to give NBDE n im in india right nw.do you need a co-signer for all the loans??there are a lot more qs..but for nw..this is it. thnx

Baylor University requires you to be a green card holder (PR) or citizen to attend their dental program. I can't think of others but there are those that prefer green card holders. Best bet is to check on the web or call the schools.

I have been writing because I know information is powerful and dental students dont have as much time to write in detail.

At UCSF, they consider your Part 1 score, your interview and they administer a practical exam as well as a written exam (not sure).
It is a 3 day process.
Being a California resident has no impact for the 2 year International Dentist Program as far as I know. They dont give you "in-state" tuition if that is what you are referring to.

If you join the regular 4 year DDS program, I believe being a California resident for more than a year means lower tuition.

Regards
thank you so much for all detailed information,i am in the process of getting my greencard i am waiting for i-485 approval,i am here in us for 2/5 years.can i go to school and study? can i take loans? what kind of loans i can take?can we take more loans to pay taxes too? thanks for reply

Last edited:
hi helper
first of thanx a lot for this plenty of information though i have some doubts.
My husband is on H1B, we have just been in the US, that is in Jan 2007, so how much time will it take to build the credit history and what is to be done to get good credit score and will my husband get loans for me without much hassels cos we dont have any green card. and what do u mean by US resident, i mean even people on H1B are considered US residents??

Thanks a lot Helper. That is some really useful information.

My question is similar to that of docdent. I'm on an H4, my husband on H1B. He's been working here for more than 2 yrs now and we have tried to maintain a good credit history, and we believe we have. But he is not eligible to apply for a green card until 2 more years.
Now, my question is, can a person on H1b with a good credit history and meeting the minimum salary requirement be a cosigner?

And docdent, you can build a good credit history by paying your bills on time. Basically, all money transactions that you do with your credit cards and through your bank, have an impact on your credit history. Never pay your credit card bill late. And have some money saved in your bank account.

Well i am totally new to SDn , please guide me for loans , i m caught as i dont seem to get a cosigner and the interviews are coming next month . Please help at the earliest.I am from India , i dont know what loans can be made out without a cosigner.
Specifically , how much time do you get after interviews to make financial arrangements.

u need a cosigner who is a resident, or soemone who is here for more thn 3 yrs and has good credit history can co sign for a loan from access group.

can some one who has a H1 visa and working for more than three years(not a resident or green card holder) cosign

Thanks Helper...
Suggestion to MOD..
think this needs to be a sticky.....
It would be great if others who also applied for loans... fill in their experiences... and advice...

just a thought:D

I'll do a quick review of the thread, just to verify that most of the information is in fact true. I hope other members find it beneficial as well. Thanks for the recommendation HULK ! :)

Thanks Helper...
Suggestion to MOD..
think this needs to be a sticky.....
It would be great if others who also applied for loans... fill in their experiences... and advice...

just a thought:D

Last edited:
Hi Helper,

Excellent information for all the FTDs.. It has been of real help..
Just one question.. Can a person on H1 who is in the US since 3yrs cosign for the student loan.
Thanks

Hey
Thanks a lot
The information was really helpful..
Byee:)

I know this thread has been sleeping...
but since the acceptances are out..
thought it wud help me as well as others..
if any info about accessgroups loans.. is laid out..

I did find out.. that its too early to even apply now... and obviously have to wait till march or april of 08 to apply...

If there are people out there on access groups loans... do advice,
if it is good to tk these loans or to look out for local residents to provide support to apply for federal loans...

I guess there should be other sdners.. looking out for this ans as well...

best of luck to all..
and congrats to those who made it...

Rest of those still waiting dont give up at any cost..

i do have green card my question is if will be eligible for federal loan and how much would be the interest rate can some body help please .what other kind of loan i can take with lowest interest rate,

i do have green card my question is if will be eligible for federal loan and how much would be the interest rate can some body help please .what other kind of loan i can take with lowest interest rate,

Hi
I want to know if a person living in US on H1B for about 10 years can cosign a loan for international student or a retired US citizen with no significant credit history can be helpful.

yes u can...if the gc holder has good credit history..then ur interest rate will be lower.

May I take a loan with a greencard holder as a cosigner?
Thanks! :thumbup:

someone i know has gc and has taken federal loan..she said her rate was 6.25..which i think is awesome considering how high interest rates r for private loans!

Hi,iam a dentist from india..iam doing MS (health care admn)in salt lake city..my gpa is 1.6 (ECE)..iam worried abt my gpa..can i able to get admission into DDS with that GPA?

Please post in the correct thread. This thread is for loans.

Coming to your question, Try WES,IERF and AACRAO evaluations and apply to schools that accept these evaluations. Do well in the national boards and try to contact the program directors in person and explain your situation. Dont loose hope. There is always a way.

Good luck.

Hi,iam a dentist from india..iam doing MS (health care admn)in salt lake city..my gpa is 1.6 (ECE)..iam worried abt my gpa..can i able to get admission into DDS with that GPA?

hi Helper,

I need some information abt DDS.

Im doing my BDS interns in India, it will complete in aug,2008 and i have H-4 visa.

I want to do DDS, could you tell me what is the procedure , what are the scores i need? Is there any test to approach the denatl schools?

Plz provide the information...

regds
Usha

It is a 3 day process.

Regards

I am from India and have got acceptance aswell. I am hung as i cant find a cosigner , do i have ne loan i could be eligible for without a cosigner.

try access group. Google it.

I am from India and have got acceptance aswell. I am hung as i cant find a cosigner , do i have ne loan i could be eligible for without a cosigner.

Thanks for the wonderful info!!! We are just moving to US. How long it takes one to build a good credit history. For Co signing there is no problem . One of our good friend is there who is a green card holder. Will this be a problem for my loans? Seniors please shed some light :confused:

dear helper ,i am a dentist and i also want to take a loan for my studies at a dental school..................but i wanted to know that does all of this process involves interest?
as INTEREST is HARAM(PRohibited) in islam
i being a muslim wanted to know if there is a bank which gives a time period for returning their loan,before they charge me with the interest PLZ HELP!!!!
AS IF IT REQUIRES LOAN AND I DEFINETLY WILL BE CHARGED OF INTEREST SO I CAN WITHDRAW MY PLANS FOR STUDYING AT USA
THANK YOU

Respecting your religion - welcome to the real world.... A bank without interest.... If u find out one - do let the whole world know.... There'l be a lot of takers..

Have u got into any school or started the process of application yet?:confused: