LMU c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance email this morning. Freaking out! Anyways, now that I have about two months somebody please tell me where to begin looking for housing options!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got my acceptance email this morning. Freaking out! Anyways, now that I have about two months somebody please tell me where to begin looking for housing options!

Join the class of 2021 Facebook page and also check out www.dcomdo.com for houses for rent.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a few questions about Castlebranch is someone is willing to help me?

1. After our 3 rabies vaccines, do we have to do a titer to show immunity or is the record of the 3 vaccines sufficient?
2. If we are not immune to some things (for instance I'm not immune to Hep B or Mumps anymore...figures) after we get the series of shots again, we need to get ANOTHER titer to show immunity right?
3. I have my initial vaccine record from my pediatrician, but do I have to have my GP re-fill out that vaccine record form?

Thanks everyone. BTW, I had a really hard time finding the rabies vaccine, so keep calling around!

I have a few questions about Castlebranch is someone is willing to help me?

1. After our 3 rabies vaccines, do we have to do a titer to show immunity or is the record of the 3 vaccines sufficient?
2. If we are not immune to some things (for instance I'm not immune to Hep B or Mumps anymore...figures) after we get the series of shots again, we need to get ANOTHER titer to show immunity right?
3. I have my initial vaccine record from my pediatrician, but do I have to have my GP re-fill out that vaccine record form?

Thanks everyone. BTW, I had a really hard time finding the rabies vaccine, so keep calling around!

1. My understanding is we just need the 3 shot series- no titer unless it's been awhile since the vaccine.
2. Yes
3. I don't think so- just your baby records and any new stuff. At least that's what I'm going with- will see if all the stuff I submitted last night gets approved.

I had major issues with the Rabies thing- neither of my insurance options would cover it so I spent a week looking around for the best price. I've become known in my university's clinic as "the girl going to vet school" as they've tried helping me with all this haha. Especially the rabies series- they also were trying to find ways to keep me from having to pay that much out of pocket.

1. My understanding is we just need the 3 shot series- no titer unless it's been awhile since the vaccine.
2. Yes
3. I don't think so- just your baby records and any new stuff. At least that's what I'm going with- will see if all the stuff I submitted last night gets approved.

I had major issues with the Rabies thing- neither of my insurance options would cover it so I spent a week looking around for the best price. I've become known in my university's clinic as "the girl going to vet school" as they've tried helping me with all this haha. Especially the rabies series- they also were trying to find ways to keep me from having to pay that much out of pocket.
Update: most of my stuff went through OK so far with a couple exceptions, mostly as a result of me not reading fine print. Hep B titer regardless of result needs to be accompanied by vaccine records. Also, make sure they run the correct titers- they looked at my IgM levels for mumps when CastleBranch specified IgG, so that got rejected.
Currently have no voice so playing phone tag over rabies vaccines is going great.

2. Yes

Check with your local animal control/animal shelter about where they get their rabies vaccs. Being a government facility, they usually have the hook up with the cheapest options.
I have a question about the health insurance, myself... I'm one of those cool people who have been living on the wild side, insurance-less, for the past 9 or so years and I have absolutely no clue how one jumps on the insurance bandwagon. Does the school offer a policy by chance? Can anyone recommend private insurance companies I should look into?

Check with your local animal control/animal shelter about where they get their rabies vaccs. Being a government facility, they usually have the hook up with the cheapest options.
I have a question about the health insurance, myself... I'm one of those cool people who have been living on the wild side, insurance-less, for the past 9 or so years and I have absolutely no clue how one jumps on the insurance bandwagon. Does the school offer a policy by chance? Can anyone recommend private insurance companies I should look into?

Try calling Genell, I'm sure she has some good suggestions.

The school doesn't offer a policy, sorry.

Any word on how far down the waitlist they have gone so far?

Hey everyone! I am looking for places to rent near campus, and I was just wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions as far as the safest towns to rent in. My dad is a retired police officer so he is extremely picky about where I live.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone, I'm wait listed for the cvm but I was just accepted to the master's program today! Looking for someone to room with. I have 1 dog I would be bringing, 3 yr old nm pointer, super friendly with people and dogs (not sure how he'd be with cats....never tried that one haha).

Reactions: 3 users
Same here! I'm planning on paying my deposit for the masters program and holding out for cvm. I live about an hour away now but potentially looking to rent a room as well. Late nights and early mornings, it's probably a good idea! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey everyone! I am looking for places to rent near campus, and I was just wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions as far as the safest towns to rent in. My dad is a retired police officer so he is extremely picky about where I live.

Pretty much anywhere. There are a couple of "sketchier" neighborhoods in Middlesboro, but the area as a whole is very safe. A lot of people leave their cars and houses unlocked all the time (I always locked mine because I'm from a larger town). Harrogate is closest to main campus, Ewing is closest to the farm (but often just us satellite internet, which sucks), Tazewell/New Tazewell are closest to Knoxville, and Middlesboro has the 24/7 walmart and more grocery stores/restaurants.

Pretty much anywhere. There are a couple of "sketchier" neighborhoods in Middlesboro, but the area as a whole is very safe. A lot of people leave their cars and houses unlocked all the time (I always locked mine because I'm from a larger town). Harrogate is closest to main campus, Ewing is closest to the farm (but often just us satellite internet, which sucks), Tazewell/New Tazewell are closest to Knoxville, and Middlesboro has the 24/7 walmart and more grocery stores/restaurants.

I was looking into Tazwell myself because my boyfriend is coming with me and will most likely only be able to get a job in Knoxville (he's a vet tech, and I pretty sure he wouldn't be lucky enough to find a job with LMU haha). Anyway, any opinions on Tazwell?

I was looking into Tazwell myself because my boyfriend is coming with me and will most likely only be able to get a job in Knoxville (he's a vet tech, and I pretty sure he wouldn't be lucky enough to find a job with LMU haha). Anyway, any opinions on Tazwell?

Tazewell and New Tazewell are fine.

Does anyone know the best stethoscope to get?

Does anyone know the best stethoscope to get?

I feel like everyone is going to say a Littman Cardiology. which is what I have. It has a nice long tube for large animal stuff and it comes in some cool colors.

I feel like everyone is going to say a Littman Cardiology. which is what I have. It has a nice long tube for large animal stuff and it comes in some cool colors.
Nah. Littman is fine but so are other brands. Welch allyn for instance. You don't need an expensive stethoscope as a student

Anyone heard anything on the waitlist?

Just got accepted to LMU-CVM... I will be declining!

Reactions: 3 users
Was just in the area this past weekend to sign a lease for an apartment in Tazwell and show my mom the school (she didn't come with me to my interview). However I couldn't get a clear answer on the tour about what our weekly schedule will be like, because I know we don't have labs every day, and we don't have lecture all day either. . Any current students have an example schedule?

Also any tips on things to do when I actually have a second to have a life haha?

Was just in the area this past weekend to sign a lease for an apartment in Tazwell and show my mom the school (she didn't come with me to my interview). However I couldn't get a clear answer on the tour about what our weekly schedule will be like, because I know we don't have labs every day, and we don't have lecture all day either. . Any current students have an example schedule?

Also any tips on things to do when I actually have a second to have a life haha?

You should be getting your fall schedule soon.

Hello All,
I hope your summer is going well. Has anyone on the waitlist heard any status updates? I am concerned I missed an e-mail because I have not heard anything.

Hello All,
I hope your summer is going well. Has anyone on the waitlist heard any status updates? I am concerned I missed an e-mail because I have not heard anything.

I think waitlist movement is extremely slow at this point in the summer. When I talked to Genell in June she said that they have called people off the waitlist every year during orientation/first week of classes. I doubt we will see much movement (if any) until orientation starts. I wonder how many people they have to go through on the waitlist to take a spot last minute like that?

Does anyone know of any nice apartments near campus that allow dogs?

According to the FB page, we had someone pulled off the wait list yesterday. Don't give up hope, guys! The list is still moving!!

Sent from my SM-S906L using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
You should have gotten an email. I did, stating the class is full but we can still remain on the waitlist for the chance, however, unsure if any seats will become available between now and August 7th.

Got a seat offer yesterday afternoon. Best of luck to you guys, I am going to St. George's University instead :) I leave in a week. Don't give up hope!!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Got a seat offer yesterday afternoon. Best of luck to you guys, I am going to St. George's University instead :) I leave in a week. Don't give up hope!!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Oh wow! Yeah I kinda gave up hope but maybe they didn't fill the seat yet. Did they say what happened? It is the only school I applied to so I am really hoping I get the call. Did they e-mail or call you?

Both. They called me and left a voicemail to check my email. They didn't say what happened but I'm assuming someone got called off the waitlist at their instate or something so they switched. LMU is actually in the middle of orientation now.

Both. They called me and left a voicemail to check my email. They didn't say what happened but I'm assuming someone got called off the waitlist at their instate or something so they switched. LMU is actually in the middle of orientation now.

Did you already tell them you were going to St. George? What is the number they call from?

I told them when I replied to the email. They called from the regular admissions line. It was Genell.

First thing in the morning. By 8:30. So less than 24 hours

Can any current students provide information about student health insurance, I would be 26 by the time I start school (if I get in), so would no longer be on my parents insurance, does LMU have a policy? If not, not really sure what my best options would be, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile

I've been interviewing a few students from LMU and they all LOVE it! It sounds beautiful there. A few students said that after they visited the college their decision was made, and they really couldn't see themselves anywhere else but LMU. That is pretty amazing for such a new college.

Can any current students provide information about student health insurance, I would be 26 by the time I start school (if I get in), so would no longer be on my parents insurance, does LMU have a policy? If not, not really sure what my best options would be, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

As of right now the school itself does not offer and health insurance policy. However, every student pays for their SAVMA membership through their tuition, and the AVMA will provide some form of insurance to members.

As of right now the school itself does not offer and health insurance policy. However, every student pays for their SAVMA membership through their tuition, and the AVMA will provide some form of insurance to members.
Do you know more about type of coverage AVMA would provide? From what I saw there wasnt much I could find online. My issue is I have a pre-existing health condition and am unsure if any of that would be covered..

Do you know more about type of coverage AVMA would provide? From what I saw there wasnt much I could find online. My issue is I have a pre-existing health condition and am unsure if any of that would be covered..

I think if you search "AVMA LIFE" on google it brings up a webpage where you can search for coverage. You may have to be logged in as a member, I can't remember, but there should also be contact info that you can email/chat/call with questions. They were super helpful when I was getting my life/disability insurance.