LMU c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone keep your chin up! I truly believe everything happens for a reason! I have heard the waitlist moves fast.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone keep your chin up! I truly believe everything happens for a reason! I have heard the waitlist moves fast.

I think it moved like 70 slots last year? I thought I read that in a thread somewhere, so I apologize if this is wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to think that they put a number of candidates on the wait list comparable to what they think they will need... however, a statement in the email concerns me.

Candidates on the waitlist will be chosen by the Admissions Committee to fill vacancies as they arise in the class.

That implies to me that the wait list is not a "list" per se but a pool for the committee to continue to pull from, much like the selection process in general.

So... if you are wait listed are you going to go ahead and get funds in place (i.e. loans, etc.) in case? Are you going to work this summer with the intention of needing to apply again and therefore working on your "resume" for your application?

Has anyone heard of someone who got something other than a wait list yesterday?

Wish we had a definitive answer...

I would like to think that they put a number of candidates on the wait list comparable to what they think they will need... however, a statement in the email concerns me.

Candidates on the waitlist will be chosen by the Admissions Committee to fill vacancies as they arise in the class.

That implies to me that the wait list is not a "list" per se but a pool for the committee to continue to pull from, much like the selection process in general.

So... if you are wait listed are you going to go ahead and get funds in place (i.e. loans, etc.) in case? Are you going to work this summer with the intention of needing to apply again and therefore working on your "resume" for your application?

I completely agree. That part of the email definitely concerned me as well. I have not heard of anyone that got rejected personally.. :/ Just waitlisted. It's impossible to prepare to be accepted and also apply through the VMCAS again while still going to work and applying for internships at Zoos and other places for more experience. It's just all so stressful..very hard to chin up at this point.

I almost think they ranked the waitlist though cause they said we weren't aloud to ask where we were ranked.

I completely agree. That part of the email definitely concerned me as well. I have not heard of anyone that got rejected personally.. :/ Just waitlisted. It's impossible to prepare to be accepted and also apply through the VMCAS again while still going to work and applying for internships at Zoos and other places for more experience. It's just all so stressful..very hard to chin up at this point.
I know I'm contiplating signing up for some classes to work on my GPA this summer but it's a lot of money to shell out when you could be accepted at any point up until August possibly

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also very true :laugh:

Haha! At this point it's impossible to know. I get that there's a lot of upset people and that they don't want a flood of emails asking ranks, but then again they shouldn't have waitlisted everyone and been so vague this entire admissions process.

Haha! At this point it's impossible to know. I get that there's a lot of upset people and that they don't want a flood of emails asking ranks, but then again they shouldn't have waitlisted everyone and been so vague this entire admissions process.
Exactly. I mean if they at least told us hey you're in the top 25% of the waitlist I'd be happy or even if I'm in the last 25% so I know I have a poor chance and to just move on with improving my app

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like on last years thread no one posted about being rejected either, so I really don't think they waitlisted everyone that interviewed!
I also had a friend get waitlisted last year. She got called off in May during finals and had 24 hours to decide, so everyone don't lose hope yet :)
I've been waitlisted at LMU too and at all of my schools this year so I started the "waitlist c/o 2021" thread so we can all chit chat about the struggle of being on the waitlist!

I am declining my spot; however, I am missing part of my packet that was mailed to me. I wasn't sure if I could email them or if I needed to send a letter? Thanks.

I am declining my spot; however, I am missing part of my packet that was mailed to me. I wasn't sure if I could email them or if I needed to send a letter? Thanks.

I would think an email would be sufficient to decline a seat. Not 100% sure though. If you email them and they need a letter I'm sure they will request it.

I just emailed Genell and that was all they needed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know I'm not in as horrible position as a lot of other people, because I did get accepted to one other school (SGU) however, I hope the waitlist starts moving soon (before April 17th). I'm delaying putting down my deposit there just in case I get accepted here and end up putting out twice the amount of money.

I also think its a bit odd that they didn't say anything about people that may not be interested in being waitlisted. When Western waitlisted me, they had a little blip at the end of the email reminding people to let them know if they want to be pulled off the waitlisted. I know if they didn't say that, it wouldn't have occured to me to pull myself off of it, giving more opportunities for other people. They don't rank either, but it would've made the waitlist pool smaller to select from.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I know I'm not in as horrible position as a lot of other people, because I did get accepted to one other school (SGU) however, I hope the waitlist starts moving soon (before April 17th). I'm delaying putting down my deposit there just in case I get accepted here and end up putting out twice the amount of money.

I also think its a bit odd that they didn't say anything about people that may not be interested in being waitlisted. When Western waitlisted me, they had a little blip at the end of the email reminding people to let them know if they want to be pulled off the waitlisted. I know if they didn't say that, it wouldn't have occured to me to pull myself off of it, giving more opportunities for other people. They don't rank either, but it would've made the waitlist pool smaller to select from.

I am in the same position with Ross. I am super stoked that I got into Ross but LMU is my first choice.

I believe the end of the email did say to let them know if we wanted to be removed from the list.

I know that wherever I end up I will be extremely happy, but I would rather be closer to home. And my mom was interested in retiring early and teaching part time at LMUs law school in Knoxville. She could do my laundry when I'm stressing out haha.

I am in the same position with Ross. I am super stoked that I got into Ross but LMU is my first choice.

I believe the end of the email did say to let them know if we wanted to be removed from the list.[/QUOTE

There was a note at the bottom of the email....
If, at any point, you are no longer interested in being on the waitlist, please let me know via email at [email protected].

FWIW, LMU accidentally sent me an email denying acceptance to their school (I got accepted in December and have already declined my seat). So I would think this means that they don't waitlist every applicant that interviewed.

Reactions: 2 users
I was just wondering how they pull from the waitlist if there is no ranking?

I believe they try to replace the person with someone with a similar "fit", e.g. if it was a food animal oriented person who decline, they attempt to fill the seat with another food animal oriented person. That's my understanding, may not be 100% so take it with a grain of salt.

I believe they try to replace the person with someone with a similar "fit", e.g. if it was a food animal oriented person who decline, they attempt to fill the seat with another food animal oriented person. That's my understanding, may not be 100% so take it with a grain of salt.

That is kind of scary for someone that just wants to be a domestic dog/cat community vet.... everyone is so specialized these days.

That is kind of scary for someone that just wants to be a domestic dog/cat community vet.... everyone is so specialized these days.
That's exactly what I thought...sucks for us...

I know that for class of 2020 there were people who interviewed that got rejections. I remember talking to someone at another interview about it and they told me they got rejected after the interview at the same time they sent out the wait list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, unless the person who declines also happens to be small animal related instead of large animal!! ;)

But how do they know what you're interested in? Was it in the application? I don't remember, it was soooo long ago! I didn't get asked during my interview. Plus, shadowing and practice medicine in one area are completely different. I know people that were dead set on small animal medicine and then fell in love with cows in vet school.

That makes sense. I just hope to get in! I hope there aren't too many on the waitlist! It's my second time applying so I hope for the best!

But how do they know what you're interested in? Was it in the application? I don't remember, it was soooo long ago! I didn't get asked during my interview. Plus, shadowing and practice medicine in one area are completely different. I know people that were dead set on small animal medicine and then fell in love with cows in vet school.

In my interview they asked me what I would do after vet school/ what I would do with my degree. I told them I wanted to do small and large animals but also orthopedic surgeries. I should of told them research since that is what I did my master's in.

Does anyone know if they call AND email to notify you've been called off the waitlist? I'm currently out of country for a few months.

In my interview they asked me what I would do after vet school/ what I would do with my degree. I told them I wanted to do small and large animals but also orthopedic surgeries. I should of told them research since that is what I did my master's in.
Unless you have true intentions in research here, I don't recommend giving false answers, ever. That is a slippery slope of ethics that can reverberate through your life.

Unless you have true intentions in research here, I don't recommend giving false answers, ever. That is a slippery slope of ethics that can reverberate through your life.

Well it is a interest of mine, every since I started my masters. But my heart has always been set on orthopedic surgeries, it might change when I go to school. That's why I didn't say research when they asked.

Well it is a interest of mine, every since I started my masters. But my heart has always been set on orthopedic surgeries, it might change when I go to school. That's why I didn't say research when they asked.
Gotcha. Interests definitely change throughout school, but I didn't want anyone thinking they needed to lie about wanting to go into something because they think it gives them a better chance to get in. It would be a disservice to themselves, the school, and the profession in general. I also think personality and outside interests are a big part of the decision making process. Being an interesting person is much more of a booster. :)

Western University does this as well

Popping in to see whats up LMU is one of my choices for the next cycle. Im large animal mix practice oriented. I'm curious about the area.

If anyone that was accepted is still hanging around the forum, and you are attending the accepted student day tomorrow, can you post how many were there? It might give some insight into how many have accepted their seat (or maybe not, just looking for a ray of hope)................

Reactions: 3 users

I just wanted to pop in and say that last cycle, my friend told LMU to pull her off the waitlist (thinking she would just reapply next cycle), but in July they called her anyways and basically said "we know you already asked to be removed from the waitlist, but you're the next person to get pulled off. Do you want it? You have 3 days to decide."

I just wanted to let you guys know that!

sooo when do we want to start betting that the wait list starts moving haha

Im rooting for all of you. I'm super excited to apply next year. Your school choice is pretty much what ive been doing so far with vets.

Popping in to see whats up LMU is one of my choices for the next cycle. Im large animal mix practice oriented. I'm curious about the area.
Totally missed this and thought I'd reply. I went down for an interview back in February. Really loved the area, extremely rural (not a city girl what so ever haha) and tons of national parks and hiking/kayaking/fishing areas. Harrogate is really a small town, most of the shopping for groceries etc seems to be up in Middlesboro from what I found driving around. The facilities of course are new but I love the set up and their philosophy behind their program (very focused in One Health and super hands on learning experience from what I can tell). Also really like how they are so committed to the local area and working along side the residents/farmers. Finally I think it's really cool how the clinical year is set up where we can travel and work with all sorts of clinics/companies all over the country, seems like a fantastic way to network and make good connections for when you graduate and gives you ample experience.

Totally missed this and thought I'd reply. I went down for an interview back in February. Really loved the area, extremely rural (not a city girl what so ever haha) and tons of national parks and hiking/kayaking/fishing areas. Harrogate is really a small town, most of the shopping for groceries etc seems to be up in Middlesboro from what I found driving around. The facilities of course are new but I love the set up and their philosophy behind their program (very focused in One Health and super hands on learning experience from what I can tell). Also really like how they are so committed to the local area and working along side the residents/farmers. Finally I think it's really cool how the clinical year is set up where we can travel and work with all sorts of clinics/companies all over the country, seems like a fantastic way to network and make good connections for when you graduate and gives you ample experience.
All the reasons they are tied with UF for my number 1. Ive probably have a better chance at LMU ( 3.3 science with two more courses if grade replaced 3.1 averaged.) Im hoping taking a semester this fall will show/count at UF and LMU if UF can see my midterm grades.