List of schools with very high MCATs [Just curious]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MassFX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: This list is now complete and exhaustive. Thank you @wh2k13 for the link, that is a great resource.

I am not a sucker for prestige. I got a 37 on my MCAT, but I am very seriously considering UNECOM (a DO school) because I visited there and the students all seemed so happy compared to MD schools. It is also right on the beach, and I love Maine. (My application also has some potential red flags, but that's for another thread.)

That said, I am insatiably curious about all sorts of things. Today's random fixation: Which med schools have the highest MCAT medians, according to the MSAR? Edit: I believe this list is now complete, thank you @wh2k13 for the help.

Schools with a 38 Median:

UPenn

Washington University in Saint Louis

(Total: Just 2)

Schools with a 37 Median:

(Alphabetical order)

Harvard

Mount Sinai (NYC)

Stanford

University of Chicago (Pritzker)

Yale

(Total: 5 schools)

Schools with a 36 Median:

At least 5, I don't feel like listing them. Feel free to list them and I will amend this post and give you credit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't really see the point of this thread...

Reactions: 2 users
You've pretty much answered your own question.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're that curious, then just go through the darn MSAR. All the answers are there.

Reactions: 1 users
To sliceofbread: The purpose of this thread is curiosity. I find that curiosity is a nearly universal hallmark of good scientists. (Not that I am a good scientist. I am just saying, curiosity with no obvious practical consequences is a fine trait.)

To organesha: I have attempted to answer my own question. Please post any schools that I may have missed.

To Isocyanate: I spent a while going through the MSAR. I figured maybe someone on the forums had a spreadsheet that they could just check.

To wh2k13: Thank you very much for being constructive.

There is an excel sheet that calculates your GPA and MCAT into Lizzy's score, then it also lists all of the schools that you can apply (average MCAT, GPA). I think that would be much more helpful.

It's interesting that there are enough 38+ scores for Penn and Wash U to make that the median. If there were 100,000 people and a 38 is the 99th percentile, there are 1000 applicants with a 38 or better, assuming everyone with a 38 applies. Probably about 50 of those people weren't accepted for being big toxic jerks, having no clinical experience, IAs, or other things, based on the 95% acceptance rate from that bracket on Table 25. There are then 950 people for all of the elite schools to fight over, and somehow Penn and Wash U end up with more of them than Harvard, Yale and Stanford.

There are then 950 people for all of the elite schools to fight over, and somehow Penn and Wash U end up with more of them than Harvard, Yale and Stanford.

Doesn't MSAR just post what students those schools accepted.

It's interesting that there are enough 38+ scores for Penn and Wash U to make that the median. If there were 100,000 people and a 38 is the 99th percentile, there are 1000 applicants with a 38 or better, assuming everyone with a 38 applies. Probably about 50 of those people weren't accepted for being big toxic jerks, having no clinical experience, IAs, or other things, based on the 95% acceptance rate from that bracket on Table 25. There are then 950 people for all of the elite schools to fight over, and somehow Penn and Wash U end up with more of them than Harvard, Yale and Stanford.

I think Wash U and Penn just put more weight on the MCAT in determining who to accept/interview than the other schools because Johns Hopkins had a 38 MCAT average a few years ago. They can also accept less people with low MCATs to bring up the median.

Doesn't MSAR just post what students those schools accepted.

Yep, it's a median of 38 among acceptances. So if Penn has 160 spots and admits around 480 people, 240 of them had 38+. So it's not like they're accepting the majority of top percentile applicants

Edit: This list is now complete and exhaustive. Thank you @wh2k13 for the link, that is a great resource.

I am not a sucker for prestige.

Lol, and yet you make the extra effort to tell us YOUR MCAT score, which happens to a be a 37! The purposes of this thread didn't call for your score.

Reactions: 2 users
even if you don't have access to the MSAR us news also lists average MCAT scores and incoming GPA (which are actually two of the factors they use to determine their rankings which is a bit silly as having high acceptance medians does not necessarily lend to a good and enriching medical education)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Most MD medical schools. The median mcat is a 32 for them. That's pretty high, especially when you look at the overall percentile in its in for MCAT test takers.