Links of interest to foreign trained dentists !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Both GPR and AEGD programs train to on all scopes of general practice. The major difference is that a GPR is hospital based and you might focus more on systemically compromised patients / hospital dentistry aspect.
Also, GPRs more commonly offer stipends, AEGD can cost more.
AEGD focus is clinical general dentistry...

Hi, what is a benchtest? i heard some colleges in california have clinical tests during admission process? any idea on those.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, what is a benchtest? i heard some colleges in california have clinical tests during admission process? any idea on those.

That is the bench test. the practical exams normally conducted on typodonts , sometimes on manikin heads other times table-top.

You are correct, most schools in California require that you pass their bench test

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Dentist from India, I have three backlogs in my BDS, is it going to affect my ECE evaluation? Please advise.

hi
ilovegoldens,
i am in the process of applying for dds. with gpa 3.76, toefl 103, nbde part 1 pass, observership of 1 month at private clinic in US and currently working in india for 6 months.....
what are the universities do i have a better shot at ??

your previous advices to the other members seemed very reasonable.. so i would like to have one as well.

thanks

Hi,
I heard that the ASDA papers came with the answers and explanation of the answers? It this true? Where I can find it? Plz help taking my NBDE part 1 en Agost?
Thanks

Hi Sana:

Here are your answers:

1) Do they require DDS/DMD degree to apply for? YES you must have a DDS degree even if from another country2) Do they require NBDE 1 and 2 ? Most programs do. Sometimes they ask for only part I3) after completion of aegd do we get a degree or a certificate which is equivalent to DDS though with limited work access area.
You get a certificate and that will allow you to work only at certain limited states. Most of these states will give you a license if you do a 2 year AEGD. GPR program. A small number of states from what I recall will accept only one year..4) also is it some kind of specialty or just general dentistry?
It is just general dentistry.. You do all scopes of general dentistry. Some of them might expose you to implants and surgery, it all depends on the program...

Very specific answers. Although, I still have a question. I am a foreign trained dentist .I am considering on applying to the AEGD program (2 year) at University of Connecticut (UCONN) but I'm unsure on what states I will be able to practice once I'm finished with the program. Do you know which states are those by any chance or how I can find that out?
Thanks,
Sissy.

Thank you for the info. After completing this kind of program we can practice all over USA?

Hello! I am foreign trained dentist (PERU) I am interested in getting licensed to work in the states by applying to an American University. I wonder if I would be able to apply to a public university......is that possible?
Another requirement is to hold a US CITIZEN or US PERMANENT RESIDENT. Might I be able to get that "visa" or "status" without getting married? lol

Will I be able to get a student loan (being a foreign trained dentist)?
Any help please..
Thx for reading

Hey there, yes you can go to a public or private university as long as it has a program for international dentists. Some programs do have status requirements, but most don't so you can go to school with a student visa.

Good luck!
Hello! I am foreign trained dentist (PERU) I am interested in getting licensed to work in the states by applying to an American University. I wonder if I would be able to apply to a public university......is that possible?
Another requirement is to hold a US CITIZEN or US PERMANENT RESIDENT. Might I be able to get that "visa" or "status" without getting married? lol

Will I be able to get a student loan (being a foreign trained dentist)?
Any help please..
Thx for reading

Hey there, yes you can go to a public or private university as long as it has a program for international dentists. Some programs do have status requirements, but most don't so you can go to school with a student visa.

Good luck!
Hey I have a question

pretty much every university wants to know if we have won any awards.. are these in reference to academic, research awards only? or do they also include awards we have won for extra curricular activities? or winning scientific paper presentations? im so confused as to what to include! also, i do not want to sound like an idiot..

many schools also ask about honours.. ive been holding positions in the student council throughout dental school.. would that be an honour or should i not mention that?

ANY help will be appreciated!! God bless you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd mention honors that are academically related. If you got first place in tennis or ping pong, don't mention it. Related extracurricular activities, mention it.

I know this gets asked so much (sorry!) but I just can't seem to find definitive answers

Which universities offer:
- 1 yr AEGD courses to FTDs that allow you to apply for licensure
- 2 yr AEGD courses to FTDs that allow you to apply for licensure
- 2 yr post grad courses to FTDs that allow you to apply for licensure

Thank you very much!!

hi
ilovegoldens,
i am in the process of applying for dds. with gpa 3.76, toefl 103, nbde part 1 pass, observership of 1 month at private clinic in US and currently working in india for 6 months.....
what are the universities do i have a better shot at ??

your previous advices to the other members seemed very reasonable.. so i would like to have one as well.

thanks
Your background is strong, have a look at accredited dental schools in usa /ada/adea , google it you will find the entire list. many universities are there who require only part1 . rest require part 2, DAT or bench test etc. have look. see the deadline , submitt your application. if you do not have any greencard or citizenship you should apply to more and more school as advanced standing program is more competitive these days. many schools do have advance standing only for citizens of usa. and many schools have seats for both internations & locals, in advanced standing. application cycle is time consuming so you have to plan for entire time line of each university os you do not miss any school to submit your application , which you could be accepted in. applying more and more school is very helpful because sometime it happens when xyz apply to 10-15 schools in usa, he/she can get interview from 2-3 colleges only. if you need more help pm me. hope this helps! :)

It will effect your gpa but dint worry you have much more that you can do like get good score in toefl,part 1&2.some observership..you can't change your gpa as you are done with your course so forget it and be strong to face.
I am a Dentist from India, I have three backlogs in my BDS, is it going to affect my ECE evaluation? Please advise.

Hi guys! I am a foreign dentist who and I wanted to apply for aegd programs. I have a question regarding the PASS application. I am really confused between PPI and PEF. I don't know which is more important and which one of them should be done by my better evaluators. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I know this gets asked so much (sorry!) but I just can't seem to find definitive answers

Which universities offer:
- 1 yr AEGD courses to FTDs that allow you to apply for licensure
- 2 yr AEGD courses to FTDs that allow you to apply for licensure
- 2 yr post grad courses to FTDs that allow you to apply for licensure

Thank you very much!!
This is by no means a complete list but you can start here:
http://www.foreigntraineddentists.net/dds--dmd-programs.html
http://www.foreigntraineddentists.net/post-doctoral-programs.html

Moderator, if the links are not cool, plz delete, no hard feelings ;)

Hi can anybody share with me the information regarding nova southeast university. I'm a foreign trained dentist and I cleared nbde part 1.my question is I want to go for masters in public health because it takes time to get into dds.i heard that nova university Florida accepts students with part 1 into masters without gre.is it true? If it is like that can I apply for this spring .please respond guys any kind of information is valuable for me.thank you

Hi Henna,

I am a foreign trained dentist from India. I have done Masters in Periodontics. I recently completed doctorate in the same specialty in India. I want to get a job and work in US/Canada. Please let me know how should I go about it? Hope you will find time to do so. Thank you

Hi can anybody share with me the information regarding nova southeast university. I'm a foreign trained dentist and I cleared nbde part 1.my question is I want to go for masters in public health because it takes time to get into dds.i heard that nova university Florida accepts students with part 1 into masters without gre.is it true? If it is like that can I apply for this spring .please respond guys any kind of information is valuable for me.thank you
R u citizen or pr?

No I'm a foreign trained dentist with visitor visa from India and wanna change to f1 visa

123 Riverview Dr, Apt# 11
San Francisco, CA 11111
Phone (415) 111 1111 (H),
(415) 111 2222 x33 (W)
Fax (415) 111 1111
E-mail [email protected]

Objective [ Type Objective Here ]

Work experience [ Dates Attended ] [ Company/Institution Name ] [ City, State ] [ Job Title ] ? [ Details of position, award, or achievement. ]

Education [ Dates Attended ] [ Company/Institution Name ] [ City, State ] [ Degree/Major ] ?
[ Details of position, award, or achievement. ]

Extracurricular activities [ enter information. ]

Accreditations [ enter information. ]

Professional memberships [ enter information. ]

Community activities [ enter information. ]

References [ enter information. ]

Volunteer experience [ enter information. ]

Hi every body,

Hi I am an Indian trained dental professional with PhD and masters in Periodontics. I want to continue my research. I am unable to locate universities which provide MS/PhD in oral biology without huge tuition fee. Can anybody Please help me out with this?

hey guys,
I am a general dentist located in Germantown,MD.I was a foreign dentist few years ago, went on to attend an advanced standing program at one of the US dental schools and now in practice in Maryland.I am offering various courses for those preparing for NBDE part 1&2 and bench tests for international dentist programs.I provide a short course with guidelines to the bench test requirements on typhodonts, maniqins, model teeth and an opportunity to practice under dentists' guidance. courses are of one week to one month in duration to offer you various oppurtunites to practice on maniqins. All equipment, compressors, handpieces, teeth models are provided with video cds demonstrating ideal preperations and restorations.This course is merely to help you prepare for bench tests across the country for international dentist programs leading to DDS/DMD degrees and is not a guarantee to getting into any program or does not result in a certificate or a degree.For information on the various programs we offer please email me at [email protected] /* */ . To know us better our office website is www.germantowndentistry.com. All classes will be held in Germantown,Maryland and accomodations will be provided to those traveling from out of town.

please can you guide me regarding how to get Dental Research? and what is the chance of getting Dental Research ?i don't have any experience in Research what should i mention in email? Attach resume or not? thank you?

Do you know anyone who has copies of ADA unreleased papers? I'm worried about Part 2 and need all the help I can get. I'm running out of time to study, so I figured I'll just do the past exams.

hi! can anyone please tell me if we are allowed to do shadowing/observership in the US on a visitor visa??

Hi every body,

Hi I am an Indian trained dental professional with PhD and masters in Periodontics. I want to continue my research. I am unable to locate universities which provide MS/PhD in oral biology without huge tuition fee. Can anybody Please help me out with this?

Finding programs that give scholarship/financial assistance might be difficult but if you can find programs that offer PhD in Oral Biology they might offer financial assistance in form of teaching assistantship or Research Assistantship. Try google and put "PhD in oral biology" as keywords. I found several results. Spend time and find the program suitable to you.

Help me please..
Does Anyone knows where I can find remembered questions NBDE 1 ?

Very specific answers. Although, I still have a question. I am a foreign trained dentist .I am considering on applying to the AEGD program (2 year) at University of Connecticut (UCONN) but I'm unsure on what states I will be able to practice once I'm finished with the program. Do you know which states are those by any chance or how I can find that out?
Thanks,
Sissy.
I'm looking for the same answer!

Here is also a link to dental preceptorship or mentorship program at University of Southern California:

That Link is a 404, what is the real one?
In Germany there is a clinic which cuold server well: They offer also implants and more.
What they offer: Dental services its in Germany, in the south.

Last edited: