Links of interest to foreign trained dentists !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PK_Bond said:
Hello
Regradingt the avenues you can pursue to work in US are as a Dental Assistant or as a Dental Hygienist. The Dental Assistant need not have a license in many of the states, but for a dental hygienist you will have to be licensed. the licensure consists of a Hygienist part 1 and part2 with practical exam that is conducted twice a year.
Please look into your state's legislature for licensure requirements.....
Praveen

as far as my knowledge goes, u can work asa dental assistant even without a liscence but u cannot work asa hygienest unless u go back to study as a hygienst for 2 yrs.
in the state of florida rules are different . if u clear ure dental boards , u can work as a hygienest.
as PK bond said best would be to be to check individual state liscencure req....

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, Toothie and PK Bond! My visa status sucks - B1/B2. I don't think I can work on a B1/B2. :( So far, what I've been doing was go to US to take the exam, and get a free vacation along with it :laugh: , then go back home and come back for the next exam. Very expensive way to do it, but I don't have much choice. :eek:

That's why I'm really hoping to pass Part 2, so I can start looking for schools. Or maybe work as a hygienist in Florida, so I'll have enough to send myself to school (hope, hope, hope). :D Speaking of which, can anyone send me the link to the Florida dental hygienist thread? I saw it when I first visited this forum, but now I can't find it anywhere. :confused:

I've only just realized that I have a really long way to go...

Thanks again.

Hi, toothie!

Do you know anyone who has copies of ADA unreleased papers? I'm worried about Part 2 and need all the help I can get. I'm running out of time to study, so I figured I'll just do the past exams.

Also, what's the TUFTs pharmacology review? I'm really clueless about these things...sorry.

Anyway, if anyone out there has ADA unreleased Part 2 questions, and the infamous Tuft's Pharmacology papers, please, please, please let us know.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
MeiLi said:
Hi, toothie!

Do you know anyone who has copies of ADA unreleased papers? I'm worried about Part 2 and need all the help I can get. I'm running out of time to study, so I figured I'll just do the past exams.

Also, what's the TUFTs pharmacology review? I'm really clueless about these things...sorry.

Anyway, if anyone out there has ADA unreleased Part 2 questions, and the infamous Tuft's Pharmacology papers, please, please, please let us know.

Thanks!

hi..
im giving my part 2 too... looking for the same...will let u know if i find something.
toothie

hi guys,
i wanted to know what r the requisites 4 getting licensed as a dental hygienist in usa.do u have to be a hygienist frm anither country or some other course reqmts.?i completely blank and wnted informn 4 my brother.thanx in advance. :)

THANKS FOR THE INFO!
drfun said:
Hi,

Someone suggested to me about this book and I bought it already. I think it's very useful for international dentists like us. I hope that this book will help you just like it has helped me find information quickly! Here is the link:

foreign trained dentist book

--Dr. Fun!

hey does anyone knows when are the nyu people going to start accepting the application forms for 2006

drfun said:
... ADS ...
--Dr. Fun!

I found more information on SDN than in the book ... the book is a waste of money .. unless people like reading from a book as compared to browsing the web!!! :)

Hi
I have clinical exam material & bench exams material for sale.Also some books for sale. These are good reference books and soem of them are especially for national board exams

Text Books for reference
Boucher’s Prosthodontics
McCracken’s RPD
Tylman’s FPD
White & Gauze Oral radiology
Surgical short cases by Somen Das
Undergrad Surgery by A.K Nan
Kapoor’s oral surgery
Chaurasia human anatomy vol1, 2, 3
Operative dentistry by sturdevant
Orthodontics by Balaji
Shafer’s oral pathology

Books for national board preparation
• Review of basic science & introduction to national board exams. Very informative for part 1
It has
Gross & neuroanatomy
Histology & embryology
Biochem
Physiology
Microbiology
Pathology
Dental anatomy

• Basic dental science review for part 1
• Mosby’s comprehensive review good for part1 & 2
• MCQs on basic science & clinical science for both part1 &2

Please pm or email to know the price.
Thanks

hi,
everyone

I am applying to schools for next year in california
and i wanted to know few questions regarding the reruirements .

1. Two letters of evaluation from former teachers means what should i get from my school

2. A brief clinical expierience means what am i supposed to discribe.

3. i havent given toefl yet so how long do they take to send the marks to schools , is it ok if i take toefl after i apply for school.

Please let me know

hi guys
im new to this site.I just needed some info on masters programs like MS in operative or prosthodontics.Could any 1 tell me which programs are international students friendly???

[hi there,

first of all you have to decide whether you are taking paper base or cbt toefl.if talking cbt one in your native country than it takes 1-month out of 300 total score comprised of 4-sections.on contrary,paper base will take a longer time and score is out of 700 total.....i am not that much sure but it s around this .

secondly,it is also depend upon yr part1&2 score and gpa..so make sure all of these too and if you applyinng in californian universities make sure yr toefl should be above 250. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Meggs said:
List of US Advanced Dental Education Programs

U.S. Programs

Using the drop-down menus, you can search for an accredited advanced specialty education or postdoctoral general dentistry education programs in the United States by state and/or discipline.
hi there
do u know anything abt nova southeatern university. How worth is it to apply with nbde score part 1 -86??ANY idea abt this university
please advice

Members don't see this ad :)
dentexpression said:
hi there
do u know anything abt nova southeatern university. How worth is it to apply with nbde score part 1 -86??ANY idea abt this university
please advice

Just don't bother. I have same score and got the rejection letter in jiffy! In fact please retake part 1. I have been rejected by all schools, some of them after the interview. 86 will not get you a seat anywhere unless miracle happens. Sorry for being blunt.

Good luck, :luck:

I have clinical material for sale. Let me know if someone is interested
Thanks

hello poeple no more links where is the spirit ??????????????????

sorry for the question but what are MCQ's for part 1 . I think are some kind of questions with answers and explanations or just questions?

pinkdiamond said:
sorry for the question but what are MCQ's for part 1 . I think are some kind of questions with answers and explanations or just questions?
If you're asking about the dental board examination part 1, these are multiple choice questions, and no you don't have to give any explanation. You just chose the letter that corresponds to your selected answer and that's it.

If you are asking about the released exams (previous exams that are released as a study source), in some cases there are explanation included just to help u study for the exam.

hi there

do you have cd for Part II NBDE? i am ready to buy .

let me know who has the material if you know someone does

please oblidge

dr siddharth

futurdentist said:
If you're asking about the dental board examination part 1, these are multiple choice questions, and no you don't have to give any explanation. You just chose the letter that corresponds to your selected answer and that's it.

If you are asking about the released exams (previous exams that are released as a study source), in some cases there are explanation included just to help u study for the exam.

Does anybody know good link for prostho esp for RPD ..

thanks

Hi,

I am new to this board. i am interested in buying part-1 question papers.

please let me know if anyone is interested.

Henna said:
Essay

(thnx compdent)
hi! i am an indian dentist with 5 yrs of experience, just came 2 mths back to US,am starting with my preparation for part 1 nbde
i have heard that dentists volunteer in dental clinic would anybody plzzzzzzzzzztell me what is volunteering and WHAT EXACTLY IS OUR JOB THERE

Hi I am Dr Yatendra and working as full time dentist in India. I want to go for a preceptorship program in advanced implantology in UCLA.Can anyone please mail me the program details.Does foreign trained dentists get a chance to work on patients.Pls mail me at [email protected]

hey,
i am asking this question for a friend. He has done bds from India. the information he has is he has to clear nbde 1 ,2 and do dds course in a college and then sit for a bench exam ?
well, since i have gone thru usmle exam , we are suppose to undergo 3 yrs of residency training to practice other than medical school education.
so my questions are,
will he be able to work in US if he pass those exam and take 2 years of dds course.
I would appreciate if somebody tell what exactly the procedure.how exactly to go if u r foreign medical grad .
Can he take these exam and for dds will the college sponsor student visa.

Thanks in advance,

hai
The procedure is bit like this
firstly clear part1 and could apply to schools,towards the end of schooling one can finish part 2.
ideally part 1 is essential to get into schools here,giving part 2would improve one's application more,but its not necessary for admission into schools,though its mandatory for few schools.
-the schools does sponsor visa for students.
-and one more thing schools here are with 2and 3yr program.depends on the score and luck if you r getting into 2 or 3yr program.
-after completing the program u can very well practice by taking state license exams.
hope I am of some help,can visit this site http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/us.asp

and find information about dental shchools and admissions

amul79 said:
hey,

i am asking this question for a friend. He has done bds from India. the information he has is he has to clear nbde 1 ,2 and do dds course in a college and then sit for a bench exam ?
well, since i have gone thru usmle exam , we are suppose to undergo 3 yrs of residency training to practice other than medical school education.
so my questions are,
will he be able to work in US if he pass those exam and take 2 years of dds course.
I would appreciate if somebody tell what exactly the procedure.how exactly to go if u r foreign medical grad .
Can he take these exam and for dds will the college sponsor student visa.

Thanks in advance,

Necesito algun consejo sobre que camino a tomar para poder tener mi lisencia como dentista aca en los estados unidos. Ojala alguien me cuente su experiencia propia y todos los pasos que tuvo que seguir para lograrlo,
muchas gracias

Hi everyone,

Ok i landed in this site a couple of months aga and its been real useful. I just took my Part 1 and got a 89. So many thanks to people who have shared there experiences, questions and motivation.

Now its my turn to help you all I guess.

1. Please know every line of the Dental decks(thats what helped me the most)
2. Constantly test yourself with the old question papers..
3. Try to build a strong foundation on basic concepts in Physio(hit the books for the most basic stuff)
4. http://dentistry.ouhsc.edu/intranet-Web/Courses/OCC8401/occ8401.1.html
just go to this web site print all the stuff out red in depth of all individual teeth and they have review questions print it out and test your self.
5. Bio(lippincot) was very useful..breakdown all the cycles..write it down for mback to front..all the key enzymes, Rate liminting steps and what inhibits it or sitmulates it. There were 2 questions on citrate and PEPCK and epi and Glycogen phosphorylase. Thats all you need I simplified it took notes put all the cycles in one page and it helped me I guess we waste a lot of time experimenting how to memorise the stuff.
5. Anatomy..where to start.
Broke down to all the systems..
1. All gaglions ( 4 questions on sup cervical ganglion)
2. Tracts. I will post the question as I recollect. But 2 Q;s one on Acensding and one on Desending.
3. Cerical triangle. Please be sure you know the Floor thats what we tend to omit, so the boundaries, contents and floor. I had the cervical triangle.
4. Skin
I will post all the questions I guess

Anyways my scores are not that great but I guess I followed a very simplified approach and it worked..as we get very worked up and stressed. But we all can do it and that was the motivation.

Anyone needs any help please feel free to contact me and will be willing to guide you as much as I can.

GooD luck on your prep..
Will keep posting all the exam questions as said

doea anybody know of a good website link on Prosthodontics?

Hi everyone,

Ok i landed in this site a couple of months aga and its been real useful. I just took my Part 1 and got a 89. So many thanks to people who have shared there experiences, questions and motivation.

Now its my turn to help you all I guess.

1. Please know every line of the Dental decks(thats what helped me the most)
2. Constantly test yourself with the old question papers..
3. Try to build a strong foundation on basic concepts in Physio(hit the books for the most basic stuff)
4. http://dentistry.ouhsc.edu/intranet-Web/Courses/OCC8401/occ8401.1.html
just go to this web site print all the stuff out red in depth of all individual teeth and they have review questions print it out and test your self.
5. Bio(lippincot) was very useful..breakdown all the cycles..write it down for mback to front..all the key enzymes, Rate liminting steps and what inhibits it or sitmulates it. There were 2 questions on citrate and PEPCK and epi and Glycogen phosphorylase. Thats all you need I simplified it took notes put all the cycles in one page and it helped me I guess we waste a lot of time experimenting how to memorise the stuff.
5. Anatomy..where to start.
Broke down to all the systems..
1. All gaglions ( 4 questions on sup cervical ganglion)
2. Tracts. I will post the question as I recollect. But 2 Q;s one on Acensding and one on Desending.
3. Cerical triangle. Please be sure you know the Floor thats what we tend to omit, so the boundaries, contents and floor. I had the cervical triangle.
4. Skin
I will post all the questions I guess

Anyways my scores are not that great but I guess I followed a very simplified approach and it worked..as we get very worked up and stressed. But we all can do it and that was the motivation.

Anyone needs any help please feel free to contact me and will be willing to guide you as much as I can.

GooD luck on your prep..
Will keep posting all the exam questions as said

thanksa lot !!!! its such a boon to have u ppl helpin us out.....

I am Ingrid, new to this board. I am studying for part I right now, and would like to learn as much from experienced people in this board. If you have any tips to offer or are out on the same mission, please feel free to drop me a line, yaoadr at hotmail.com

thanksa lot !!!! its such a boon to have u ppl helpin us out.....

thanks a lot for helping other aspiranta
could you please give some more tips and send some remembered questions(mainly the difficult questions) so that we could have an idea

will be taking my exam in april ending.looking for serious study partner.

Hi,
Any good website for Prostho?
Thanks

any female willing to share accomdation in la for the bench exam course on 26th of march please repond.

Thanks Prosthoman! I'm new to this forum. i'm here in the US now with a tourist visa and i'm planning to take part1. this will definitely help. if you have more info about the licensure please let me know. thanks again!!! :)

Dear All Dentists,

This is Cyrus. If anybody is intrested in finding oportunities to attend in a International Dental Studies Program and/or be finanaced for almost all costs related to that, please contact me at: [email protected]

Best,

Cyrus

Dear All Dentists,This is Cyrus. If anybody is intrested in finding oportunities to attend in a International Dental Studies Program and/or be finanaced for almost all costs related to that, please contact me at: [email protected] Best,Cyrus

Hi all

I want to know how the letter of recommendation should be( its content n all)...please help me out with it..i'm india for the same n need to know about it urgently

Thanks

Hi all

I want to know how the letter of recommendation should be( its content n all)...please help me out with it..i'm india for the same n need to know about it urgently

Thanks
drmolar. as far as I know if u r a faculty in a dental school,instructor, etc . it is better you write it on an official stationary, and you indiacate you are writnig the latter for (candidate's name) then you say as much as you can about his character,enthusiasm toward his profession,eagerness to help others,responsible,etc, you have to say who is writing the letter. instructor,colligue,employer............., Also you may google the phrase letter of recommendation you,ll get a better idea.
I hope this is helpful for you to get started.
Good luck.

Hi every body
Can you please guide me to useful links for Class 2 cavity preparation, and tooth preparation for porcelain fused to metal crowns.
Thank you

hi, thanks for the tips you gave! would like to ask if it is necessary to get textbooks to study for part 1 and if yes, what textbooks would you recommend. i want to sit for the december exam and i am a foreign trained dentist.thanks

anthonia

Can anyone tell me who can translate documents like transcripts and diplomas for our applications? No one here is a certified translator! As for the USC application, is it mandatory to apply online or can we print out the application and send it with the rest of our documents? This application process is driving me up the wall! thanx in advance!

uhmm....anyone wanna chime in on this please? thanx!

uhmm....anyone wanna chime in on this please? thanx!

hi , this is the company that I used when I had to translate my material ,
hope it helps

hi , this is the company that I used when I had to translate my material ,
hope it helps

Hey thanx for the response but I don't think that you wrote the company name. well, I was looking into this company called language frontier who has certified translators but they told me that they seal it and sign it as an affidavit. Do you guys think that this is okay? I'm kind of confused as to how the schools want these translations. Thanx in advance.

Hey thanx for the response but I don't think that you wrote the company name. well, I was looking into this company called language frontier who has certified translators but they told me that they seal it and sign it as an affidavit. Do you guys think that this is okay? I'm kind of confused as to how the schools want these translations. Thanx in advance.

Josef Silny & Associates
www.jsilny.com

this is the company that I used