Lincoln Memorial Uni. Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got accepted into Anatomical Science program.

Congrats on the AS acceptance. I loved AS hahaha - easily the most fun I've had in school ever!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
what is the timeline from complete app to a decision? or a phone interview?
After I received the email with the complete app, it took maybe two weeks at most until they told me I got the interview and after the interview I got my provisional acceptance until I got the background check and then got the full acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
After I received the email with the complete app, it took maybe two weeks at most until they told me I got the interview and after the interview I got my provisional acceptance until I got the background check and then got the full acceptance.
it's been 3 weeks since they began reviewing but i have not heard anything in regards to interview. is this a silent rejection?

it's been 3 weeks since they began reviewing but i have not heard anything in regards to interview. is this a silent rejection?

No way! Shoot Holly an email! She is in DC now, but she's always great about responding in a timely manner!

Ok , I am having a dilemma. I received my acceptance packet on Friday that ask to submit the deposit as soon as possible to save your seat. I have already emailed Holly asking her opinion, but haven't gotten a reply because she is out recruiting so I thought I would ask others.

I am currently waitlisted at DCOM. I wont find out if I'm off the waitlist until mid-May- July. I want to save my spot in the biomed program; however, $500 is a lot to me right now. Do you know if the deposit can transfer if you get into DCOM? Is anyone else in this situation? Not sure whether to wait until June or submit the deposit now.

Thanks for the advice!

Ok to everyone having this dilemma I found the answer. Holly said usually 3-4 people transfer from the program to DCOM before the start of classes and the deposit does transfer over. Hope this helps

Congratulations to all of you that have been accepted. I am a current student and if you have any questions please feel free to ask me. I know that many of you have questions about the program. When I first applied to this program I had a tons of questions as well. So here are my two cents. What I am going to do first is I am going to go through the pros and cons of the program, then, I will give you my personal opinion based and keep in mind that my opinion is, well my opinion and the best thing to do in this cases is to get as much as input from different people.

Pros:
LMU MS in Biomedial Sciences or Anatomical Sciences CAN prepare you for medical school. First of all you get to take medical school classes and with medical students. Why is this important? well, for once, you get a very true feeling of medical school is plus taking classes with medical students is an extra motivation, because we all dreamed or dream of being there. You also get to know the professors from DCOM and interact with them, TIP, talk to them, get to know them, because some of these people are part of the admission's committee at DCOM. Now many of you have asked about the BMS vs the Anatomical science. I will be very honest to you, I am a BMS but if I could have the chance to do it all over again, I would instead go with the Anatomical Science. Why? because you get to interact closer with many professors, plus the curriculum is a bit different. Another good thing about this program is that most of your classes, with the exception of the medical school classes, you get to interact very close with the professors from the graduate program. The professor do get to know who you are.
The program as you know give you a guarantee interview with DCOM if you finish the semester (Fall) with at least a 3.0. However, REMEMBER that this is NOT a linkage program and for that reason, admission to DCOM is NOT guarantee. So be prepare to work very, very hard and do not screw up in the Fall or all bets are off.
Cons:
It is NOT a linkage program and admissions is not guaranteed.
Tuition is quite expensive.
It is located in a very small town with virtually nothing around (meaning big stores), which could also be good that way you could focus more in school.

TIPS: My biggest tip for you is that you work your hardest possible during the Fall semester. MGA can be overwhelming and if you do not have good organization skills, it is time to start working on them. Let me give you an example: many students last semester didn't do as good as they wanted because the way the study is by reading the book and going through the powerpoint lectures. They spent a tons of time reading the book and memorizing the lecture. WARNING, do not do this please. MGA is not about memorization, you will not get ask many, what they call primary questions. Instead, they will throw questions with clinical scenarios, for example, if a patient has been stabbed in the back between the 7th and 9th rib we will very likely have damaged the following structures, or organs, etc... So my advice to you is DO NOT neglect the lab. Study from the powerpoint first and at the same time use the MGA lab to understand at the 3D body level whats going on. Also, if you can afford it, do the Anatomy Boot Camp. It will prepare you for MGA.
Now why ma I focusing so much in MGA? because, unless you take Medical Histo too, is the most important class. You can NOT make a C in MGA or how can I say this... you are screwed. So remember eat, and sleep MGA all Fall.
Now here is why I learned: we are all in this because we aspire to be Physicians and we want to practice medicine, BUT, keep in mind one thing and no one tells you this, instead you learn this things as you go, LMU masters is a great program and to many a last opportunity to full fill a dream, however, it is NOT a guarantee. There were several students last semester that did at least a B in MGA and got waitlisted or did not get in. I even know of one person that made an A and got waitlisted. Why? you might ask. Well it is getting harder to get in DCOM and is not as easy as it was the year before where people with Cs got in. DCOM is now trying to get a better reputation and be better, which makes sense. For that reason, unlike last year, they are focusing more in the MCAT score and although for the MS program you need a 20 or better, DCOM will not necessary admit you with that score. So from what I saw this year, yes if your score is 20 - 23, be aware that you might need to take it again. Now every application is different, but unless you have a 23 and you do a 4.0 in the fall, it is likely that you might be asked to retake it. This last year DCOM received more applications from students with higher than the average mcat scores. Again, none of what I have said is the rule, there are and will always be exceptions, however, I say this because, I don't want you to go into the program thinking that you are in (DCOM). Don't make that mistake. So if the reason why you are attending LMU is because you have a low MCAT score, then you need to take time to rethink everything. Look, obviously if you are applying to this program is because you don't mind being a DO or have a preference for being a DO, well keep in mind that unlike AMCAS, AACOMAS (Osteopathic Medicine Application System) has a grade forgiveness policy. So they way it works is if you re take a class, regardless where you retake it, the most recent grade replaces the old grade(s). Why is this important, because look, if you are going to take close to 30 hours at LMU, to considering other classes that you might have to take if you do not have the requirements, and if you have to take the MCAt because you have a 23 or 24, then, you might be better off retaking classes somewhere else. I cannot tell you how much of a difference does it makes to retake a few classes to your AACOMAS application. And, if you have to retake the MCAT and you score higher than what it use to be before a 25, then your chance of getting into other schools are good. SO again, do not come to this program thinking that you are in and that you might not have to take the MCAT again if your score is below 23, because that is not for sure.
This leads me to another very important point. Please, please, please do your research before coming here. I am going to use myself as an example. I am from a big city and a big state. I want to practice medicine in California, Texas, New York or Florida. Yes, these are the places where I would love to get a residency and work. However, there are states such as Texas and California that are very selective in the number of medical students that they accept from out of state to do their residency. So last Fall I talked to several people from the admissions office of several medical schools in California and Texas. They told me that their residencies, at least over 80% of them, go to their students (in state) and that the rest are available for those students out of state with remarkable grades and board's scores. For that reason I worked extra hard this last Fall and I retook the MCAT. I did good enough to received some offers dos one programs, one in particular in my home state. I do not want to stay in the Appalachian region or its' surrounding areas. I want to get a good in a big hospital. So before you commit to anything, do your research, check where DCOM students are doing their residencies, see if you like that and think very hard where you would like to be when you finish medical school. If you are ok with relocating and living in Tennessee, Kentucky, NC, SC, and Virginia, for example, then you will be fine and it is very likely that you will have no regrets. Again, there are exceptions, some students did get some residencies in states like Texas and California, but I will advice you to check the the match information of DCMO. You know, at this moment of our lives we all just want to be medical students and we, many times, neglect or ignore that there is more to that once you are in so do your homework and research. If you re from Texas, California, New York, or Florida - talk to people from those states. Take time to talk to their admission's staff. Ask them questions. Because if you want to do something big and you dream of getting at least in one these states, your odds might not be in your favor.
Now, in regards to commuting from Knoxville to school - I have seen some people asking about living in Knoxville or near by. Look it is doable, however, I met two persons(med student and MS student) last Fall that drove everyday from Knoxville and they hated it. The drive can be as long as one hour and thirty minutes one way. I would not advice you to do so unless there is no other alternatives.
Ok, well here are my two cents, well more like two dollars. If you have any question shoot me a reply or a message. Good luck to all of you.

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted to the LMU- Biomedical Professions program and the Campbell MSBS program and I am trying to decide between the two. I like the guaranteed interview at LMU, but I am from NC and Campbell doesn't require you to take additional coursework that doesn't apply to the master's. Any advice on either program?

I was accepted to the LMU- Biomedical Professions program and the Campbell MSBS program and I am trying to decide between the two. I like the guaranteed interview at LMU, but I am from NC and Campbell doesn't require you to take additional coursework that doesn't apply to the master's. Any advice on either program?
Look, LMU's program is a great opportunity, but, as mentioned before in my post (above), it is not a guarantee admission only a guarantee interview and although that might sound as enough to many, you have to first consider several things such as your MCAT score. Because, to gain actual admission to DCOM you will very likely need at least a 24 in your MCAT, this considering that you will do great in the Fall (MGA). So, if you are looking for a program to enhance your academic record and you already have an MCAT of 24 or higher, then LMU will probably be your best choice. However, if your MCAT score is lower than that, then I will advice you to instead do a masters in a good university or retake some classes (remember the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy) and consider retaking the MCAT. At the long run, if your MCAT is not higher than 23-24, again, it is very likely that you will have to retake it in order to get to DCOM. Good luck.

Unfortunately, I won't be taking the MCAT until May 6th so I can't factor it into my decision. A bonus of the program at Campbell is that an MCAT prep course is included so if I don't do well, I'll be able to improve that score. I was wondering if you knew anything about what score is expected for the new MCAT at DCOM? Like, how would a 24 translate to the new scale?

Unfortunately, I won't be taking the MCAT until May 6th so I can't factor it into my decision. A bonus of the program at Campbell is that an MCAT prep course is included so if I don't do well, I'll be able to improve that score. I was wondering if you knew anything about what score is expected for the new MCAT at DCOM? Like, how would a 24 translate to the new scale?
I am not sure but last year, I know some students got in with 21-23s. This year it wasn't that easy and some students who did good on MGA (meaning made a B) but who had an MCAT under 24, were waitlisted or denied admission. So, to answer your question, if you are doing this to get into medical school and you feel confident, because you have been getting ready, that you can make a 25 MCAT then I will suggest to take the LMU opportunity. If not then the Campbell option could probably be your best choice. Regardless of what it is, if medicine is what you want to do for the rest of your life, keep preparing yourself. Do not take things that are in vain, set a direction. For example, I met someone who applied to medical school and got denied twice (two years), but meanwhile she was working towards her masters and then later her PhD. She finished in 4 years and then got into more than one schools in her home state. Many students would have waisted those 4 years taking classes. The main point is that unless you know that the program is going to offer you more than just preparation, unless is a linkage program, a masters, or classes that you are retaking to make your GPA better, don't waste your time and money. Good luck and if you have any other question just shoot me an email or a reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok to everyone having this dilemma I found the answer. Holly said usually 3-4 people transfer from the program to DCOM before the start of classes and the deposit does transfer over. Hope this helps

I wouldn't bank on this. This is highly dependent on whether or not anyone drops out within the days leading up to the start of classes which did not happen with the class last year. However, if you are in the Masters program, you will not be required to pay the deposit to matriculate into DCOM if you are accepted.

Does anyone know the hours for classes? I'd like to live closer to Knoxville if possible.
The times vary for the graduate classes. Some classes can start as early as 8-9am. Now the med classes operate under a different schedule.Some MGA classes last fall started at 8am, but you can always media site them. It is about an hour and a half of driving from Knoxville to the campus and I've heard that it can be very exhausting. I met two people that drove from Knoxville to the campus every day and they did not look happy. Hope this helps.

Does anyone have an idea of how many folks are already accepted? How many seats there are?

how long after the interview, will they get back to you with a decision??? and for the accepted students, how much time do you have to decide to put down a deposit?

Had an interview. Been a couple of weeks and still nothing. Silent rejected?
Don't worry yet. The response varied last year - some people received a call the next day (of interview) while others didn't get an acceptance call until late. There were actually some people last year that did not get an acceptance until near the beginning of the program, so just hang in there and don't worry yet. Hope that helped.

Just got an interview invite. I was committed on going to LECOM but from this thread it looks like LMU is a better option. I hope I get accepted. I think I applied to the biomedical sciences program and hopefully won't have any undergraduate classes they will force me to take if I matriculate.

Smaller than I expected. So is it like a family and you really get to know your classmates kind of a thing?

You'll know most of your classmates pretty well in the anatomical sciences with the caveat if you're not cliquey. You'll of course have your group of friends, but you'll at least know everyone's name. The best part though is - you'll build a far better relationship with faculty than the biomedical students. That is not made up or bias talk or anything.

Interviewed yesterday. Provisionally accepted today. Time to make some decisions on which post bacc to attend.

Hello everyone, I'm getting super excited about starting school in July. Has any received an email about when orientation is or registration for classes? Thanks

Hello everyone, I'm getting super excited about starting school in July. Has any received an email about when orientation is or registration for classes? Thanks

The DO/Master's orientation is the week right after boot camp ends so it'll be the week of the 25th. I forget what the day is exactly, but you'll do all your sign-ups and such then. Your official masters classes won't start until about 2 or so weeks after gross anatomy.

Does anyone know the deadlines for the programs? Having a hard time figuring this out...

Got message today about an interview for this program on friday; she said it would be about 10 min
any other advice aside from what has been mentioned so far?

Just finished submitting all the application material today! Feels like I am extremely late in applying for this program...is there any chance of me getting in at this point? Also, any international students that have applied to this program?

Just finished submitting all the application material today! Feels like I am extremely late in applying for this program...is there any chance of me getting in at this point? Also, any international students that have applied to this program?
Yes because I interviewed Friday and was provisionally accepted this morning

I understand that it is not guaranteed admission, the acceptance rate is still pretty high according to their website: "A total of 93% were offered a seat" http://www.lmunet.edu/academics/gra...ster-of-science-ms/frequently-asked-questions

do you have any suggestion to students going to LMU masters who come from California, Texas, etc.? I thought even if they go to LMU, they are still considered legal residents at California and Texas, aren't they still treated the same as the ppl who go to say Texan med schools?

One more question for LMU students: some people get scholarship like HPSP and others to pay for med school, but the masters program is paid by loans, right? how did you guys finance your living and studying in LMU?

thanks

Just got accepted to the PMSP program. Does anyone know if this a 1.5 year program or can I finish this in a year so I can potentially get into med school that same year?

I understand that it is not guaranteed admission, the acceptance rate is still pretty high according to their website: "A total of 93% were offered a seat" http://www.lmunet.edu/academics/gra...ster-of-science-ms/frequently-asked-questions

do you have any suggestion to students going to LMU masters who come from California, Texas, etc.? I thought even if they go to LMU, they are still considered legal residents at California and Texas, aren't they still treated the same as the ppl who go to say Texan med schools?

One more question for LMU students: some people get scholarship like HPSP and others to pay for med school, but the masters program is paid by loans, right? how did you guys finance your living and studying in LMU?

thanks
Keep in mind that the 93% only refers to the students who were interviewed. Read the long post above. He explains the situation relatively well as many have on previous pages.

hey guys, what is the class size going to be for this year's masters program?

Just wondering if anyone has heard about registering for classes and orientation dates? I keep checking my personal email and the LMU email but haven't received any details.

Turned in my application 2 weeks ago, had my phone interview last week, and was accepted to the program!!!

Those of you who got into the Anatomical Sciences program, how long did it take post-interview to get a decision?