Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just an update from previous posts - my friend with the 488 MCAT was rejected the masters program here. He was, however, invited to apply to the post-bacc program. Anyone have any information on this? Is this a generic response or are only a few selected?
I'm guessing generic, without the MCAT coming up they won't get in. Even with an amazing SMP performance after a 4.0 post-bacc. Maybe the post-bacc would get them better prepared for the MCAT, but either way the MCAT has to come up.

Members don't see this ad.

About to start in Fall for Class of 2021! Looking for housing. Considering living in a single bedroom studio at University Inn, but I have heard students had complaints about the Inn in the past. Seems like the best option at this point though. Any recommendations?

About to start in Fall for Class of 2021! Looking for housing. Considering living in a single bedroom studio at University Inn, but I have heard students had complaints about the Inn in the past. Seems like the best option at this point though. Any recommendations?

If you haven't checked the Facebook page, people are posting a lot of houses/apartments. I personally think the Inn is like a dungeon lol

Members don't see this ad :)

I love living at the Inn and I'll be sad that I have to move out next week to head towards rotations. I like having security around, I like how someone is always there to collect my packages, I like how I only pay 1 lump sum bill and it comes directly out of my student loans before they even get dispersed to me. It you twisted my arm and made me be honest, the only 2 bad things are the hot water can go out even though the boilers are less than a year old and have zero reason to keep breaking. It happens maybe 1-2 times a year the hot water goes out for a few hours. Then this next part isn't the Inn's fault, it's dum dum students who are living on their own for the first time - they keep setting the fire alarm off* and almost burned down the building. We had one incident that was very recent where a new student just jam packed a washer with as many clothes as he could, started it up and left. An RA who lives across from the laundry area *there's 1 on each floor* smelt something was off and checked the hallway. There was smoke, bad smoke. The student had jammed a comforter and as many clothes as he could into the washer despite there being an empty washer right next to the one he was using. Also, these are smaller sized washers, it's 100% clear that you cannot fit a comforter inside one - yet he did it anyway.

*I would have to say that the alarm doesn't go off wily nilly, it's because someone was cooking something and then just left it. Or had finished cooking something, then left something on top of the hot stove and then walked off. It tends to happen once a month at the start of the semester because again, new people are dumb and forget that stuff can catch on fire. So after they get chewed out once, people get a whole lot better about learning that fire is bad and the alarm doesn't go off anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Happy June 15th! Any movement from the waitlist today?

I was accepted today! :) I received the phone call around 1 PM. Good luck to those still on the waitlist. My thoughts are with you all!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, may have been asked before, but I did a search and didn't find anything. Whats the best mobile carrier in the area? I'm on verizon now with no contract so I can switch if there is a better provider for the area. I noticed on my visits and excursions around the area that my service was pretty poor, and was told that service is generally poor anyway. Just wondering if there was anything that was better than the other?

Hey guys, may have been asked before, but I did a search and didn't find anything. Whats the best mobile carrier in the area? I'm on verizon now with no contract so I can switch if there is a better provider for the area. I noticed on my visits and excursions around the area that my service was pretty poor, and was told that service is generally poor anyway. Just wondering if there was anything that was better than the other?

It's really is bad across the board. Especially if you live down in the gap or at the Inn. On campus, all the carriers are fine. I personally have AT&T and don't have any issues in Middlesboro or Tazewell. T-mobile and Sprint are probably the worst of the big ones since they get pretty frequent call drops even in Middlesboro. Verizon is probably the only one that gets service down in the Gap or at the Inn, but we're talking like 1 bar of service.

I've got verizon and I don't have any problems in the gap or in the inn. If it's a bad weather day, I I have trouble sending a text. I just get near my window and then it'll send.

Thanks Guys,

I think I'm gonna stick with Verizon and upgrade! New phone here we come!

Hey guys!. I got accepted last Thursday. I've paid my deposit and signed my matriculation agreement. What's next? When do they send information about financial aid?

Hey guys!. I got accepted last Thursday. I've paid my deposit and signed my matriculation agreement. What's next? When do they send information about financial aid?

If you haven't completed your FAFSA yet, make sure to do that soon. When you arrive for orientation, you'll have receive a folder with your name on it and it has all the documents that will address buying diagnostic kits, how much financial aid you can receive etc etc. Financial aid usually gets disbursed around the 2nd week of August on like a Friday or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I'm a little confused about the financial aid process. I submitted my FAFSA 3 weeks ago (was accepted late) but I still don't have any financial aid data listed on WebAdvisor. Could anyone help me out and explain the process? Thanks!

Does anyone know if the committee has a certain day it meets and send out acceptances each week or is it more of a "We can meet Monday this week, but next week we're Gonna have to wait til Thursday" kind of thing?

Guys I'm a little confused about the financial aid process. I submitted my FAFSA 3 weeks ago (was accepted late) but I still don't have any financial aid data listed on WebAdvisor. Could anyone help me out and explain the process? Thanks!
How long did it take for you to get the WebAdvisor acct?

If you haven't completed your FAFSA yet, make sure to do that soon. When you arrive for orientation, you'll have receive a folder with your name on it and it has all the documents that will address buying diagnostic kits, how much financial aid you can receive etc etc. Financial aid usually gets disbursed around the 2nd week of August on like a Friday or something.[/QUOTE
Thank you so much!

Does anyone know if the committee has a certain day it meets and send out acceptances each week or is it more of a "We can meet Monday this week, but next week we're Gonna have to wait til Thursday" kind of thing?

Think it's been Tuesdays. Last Thursday seemed to be an exception, probably because Janette coming back from vacation that day. Let's hope for some good news this week.

Thanks for being so helpful!

There are lots of things I wish I knew when I started as a medical student lol. The great thing about DCOM is there's really always someone that's willing to lend a hand. Every class has its own flavor, but I've yet to find anyone that is truly a "gunner" in the true sense of the word at our school.

Guys I'm so lost when it comes to the equipment and books :/ what is actually required?

Guys I'm so lost when it comes to the equipment and books :/ what is actually required?

In terms of anatomy you'll need: scrubs, dissection kit, gloves (hint, don't get the lunch lady vinyl gloves unless you like your hands smelling like formaldehyde all day), Grant's dissector, and some form of an atlas - you'll be divided into groups on your first day of introduction to the anatomy lab and you can choose to gamble to see if someone in your group has them, or you can just get them yourself.

For epc, you'll need to have a stethoscope, reflex hammer, tuning forks (128 and 256 hz I believe), goniometer and the welch allyn kit. You can order the kit and stethoscope at school, snag one from a 3rd year that's leaving, or buy the pieces you need through eBay.

The rest of the books are pretty much optional. The Costanzo physiology book is good for reference during Spring. I personally don't think the books were a good use of time or money and there are a lot of pdfs floating around in case you really need one to reference.

In terms of anatomy you'll need: scrubs, dissection kit, gloves (hint, don't get the lunch lady vinyl gloves unless you like your hands smelling like formaldehyde all day), Grant's dissector, and some form of an atlas - you'll be divided into groups on your first day of introduction to the anatomy lab and you can choose to gamble to see if someone in your group has them, or you can just get them yourself.

For epc, you'll need to have a stethoscope, reflex hammer, tuning forks (128 and 256 hz I believe), goniometer and the welch allyn kit. You can order the kit and stethoscope at school, snag one from a 3rd year that's leaving, or buy the pieces you need through eBay.

The rest of the books are pretty much optional. The Costanzo physiology book is good for reference during Spring. I personally don't think the books were a good use of time or money and there are a lot of pdfs floating around in case you really need one to reference.

Thank you!! Do you recommend ordering the Welch Allyn kit or buying the pieces separately? They're already sending out order forms via email

Thank you!! Do you recommend ordering the Welch Allyn kit or buying the pieces separately? They're already sending out order forms via email

Buying the pieces individually unfortunately will cost more than the kit. If you're looking for one significantly cheaper, I'd check the FB page. A lot of 3rd years end up selling their kits for $600 or so. I still hate that it's part of the required items considering all the practice rooms have them and I've never worked with anyone in all my years in the healthcare field that actually uses a panoptic, but what can you do. Part of the cost of medical school lol. At least you can sell it back one day and make a bit of your money back.

So I recently gave up my seat. I hope it goes to one of you still on the waitlist! Goodluck

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything lately? I heard the admissions director was out last week and came back yesterday...

I am applying to this school right now, I was wondering what you guys could say about my app with my current states:
MCAT: 498 (getting a new score on july 6)
cgpa: 3.45
sgpa: 3.56
non-sci gpa: 3.7
I have tons of volunteer, extracurricular, and research experience and medical experience in rural areas.

I am applying to this school right now, I was wondering what you guys could say about my app with my current states:
I have tons of volunteer, extracurricular, and research experience and medical experience in rural areas.

Hey, I think you definitely have a chance. I was accepted with a 3.7/499. The rural area experience is a definite bonus as well.

Hey, I think you definitely have a chance. I was accepted with a 3.7/499. The rural area experience is a definite bonus as well.
thanks and yeah I understand. I talked about it in my AACOMAS app and in a paragraph of my personal statement.

I got accepted here with a 3.77 and a 22/493 MCAT

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm sure you'd be fine, DCOM definitely seems to put more stock in GPA than MCAT. Almost all of my friends in this year's MS class did 3.7 or better in the program and those with 22-24 MCAT and 3.5 or better undergrad GPA got in right away, while those with 28-30 MCAT and lower undergrad GPA are still waiting for phone calls.

Hey guys, did anyone else hear anything this past week, other the one on Monday? I'm starting to get real nervous!

I wonder if there are even seats open :/ T-22 days till orientation

There haven't been any seats open since the last interview in mid-May. Since then the movement off the waitlist has been from people who declined their acceptances. I hear there haven't been nearly as many of such people compared to last year. My guess is that we won't hear much about the latest acceptances until next week b/c holiday.

I'm puttin' out some positive thoughts for all of us on the waitlist for spots to open up, and preparing for next year's cycle just in case.

Janette's E-mail has an auto reply right now that says she's out of the office til July 10, so we're on hold til at least then. Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit odd how often she's gone for a week at a time? Does the school send her out to do events during the summer or is that just something they say to get nervous applicants to leave her alone?

Janette's E-mail has an auto reply right now that says she's out of the office til July 10, so we're on hold til at least then. Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit odd how often she's gone for a week at a time? Does the school send her out to do events during the summer or is that just something they say to get nervous applicants to leave her alone?

She's out at recruiting events. Definitely not the kind of person who would try to deflect applicants like that. If you're having trouble getting info from the admissions office contact Robin Mace, she's the assistant director.

FWIW I was accepted while she was out of office so just because she is gone doesn't mean things in admissions completely stop.

Does anyone know if DCOM looks at your best MCAT score or your latest score? My newest score that I got today isn't as good as my previous one.

FWIW I was accepted while she was out of office so just because she is gone doesn't mean things in admissions completely stop.

Do you mind telling me if you got accepted this week? I called last week and I was told there was no movement on the list.. Thanks and congrats :)