Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I am also waitlisted and got a letter in the mail with info about the masters program. I hope that's not what it means!
Are you guys in state? I didn't get one, but I'm in Indiana so I might get it Monday.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you guys in state? I didn't get one, but I'm in Indiana so I might get it Monday.
Yep, I'm in state. I *really* hope that I would hear before the end of the summer. I would go crazy having to get everything together the week of orientation!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That moment when you get a large LMU envelope in the mail only to find out it's about the masters program and your spirits are once again crushed.

That moment when you get a large LMU envelope in the mail only to find out it's about the masters program and your spirits are once again crushed.

Same here! :( did everyone get this?

Withdrew my seat today, best of luck to you all at this wonderful school!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Funnily enough, I got the same exact letter and in a separate envelope I also got my acceptance letter so.. I think the Master's letter was a generic thing that they sent everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Funnily enough, I got the same exact letter and in a separate envelope I also got my acceptance letter so.. I think the Master's letter was a generic thing that they sent everyone.
What all has to be done and how much time do they give you after being accepted? I imagine all of us on the waitlist are past normal deadlines for immunizations and everything.

What all has to be done and how much time do they give you after being accepted? I imagine all of us on the waitlist are past normal deadlines for immunizations and everything.

When a waitlisted person gets accepted they get a new set a deadlines that are reasonable. It's pretty much just filling out paperwork and getting bloodwork done from your doctor's office.

If you are bored and want to do something, you could go hunting for your immunization record or "the form you got as an infant that has all your immunizations and dates listed on it". When I got accepted years ago, I never had a baby card and all I needed to do was get titers done and the school accepted it. But, now that we are starting rotations. We had to have the baby card. Myself and a nice amount of others students had to contact family members back home and have them dig through drawers or reach out to our past schools and get copies. Thankfully my elementary school from 20 years ago still had a copy of mine.

Yesterday I got a call from Janette telling me that the committee was meeting yesterday and was asking if I was still interested in being considered. I said no, because I am accepted elsewhere, but others should be hearing

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same call yesterday morning. I said yes, and she basically said to wait for an acceptance call or email.

Did you recieve the acceptance call or email yet?

I haven't actually. At the time, she said the committee will be meeting today (which was yesterday) or tomorrow (which would be today), and then I would getting an acceptance call or email. She said to act surprised when I get the call haha.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't actually. At the time, she said the committee will be meeting today (which was yesterday) or tomorrow (which would be today), and then I would getting an acceptance call or email. She said to act surprised when I get the call haha.
Had a similar experience, she said she was confident I would be pulled within the next few weeks, but still waiting on a call so who knows.

Had a similar experience, she said she was confident I would be pulled within the next few weeks, but still waiting on a call so who knows.

Wait you got the call from her too? I'm super confused because I haven't officially gotten acceptance call or email and it's making me nervous.

I got a call on Tuesday as well. She said to expect and acceptance call or email by Thursday, but I haven't heard anything since. Kind of making me nervous now.

I got a call on Tuesday as well. She said to expect and acceptance call or email by Thursday, but I haven't heard anything since. Kind of making me nervous now.

Right? In the back of my mind, I'm thinking, "did they change their minds?" If I don't hear by the end of the day I'm going to call tomorrow

I got the call Tuesday about possibly getting accepted as well. Just got the call right now and had to deny, got accepted off the waitlist for AZCOM right when I got off of the phone with Janette on Tuesday. Hopefully it goes out to one of you waiting on the WL! Good luck everyone!

Email today saying just be patient and to expect movement some this month but a good deal of movement next. Hopefully this is some good news. We shall see though.

Email today saying just be patient and to expect movement some this month but a good deal of movement next. Hopefully this is some good news. We shall see though.

Last edited:
Did you email asking or did they reach out to you?
I had contacted them earlier and that is what they got back to me with. It could be just a general email so who knows.

Whats KTAP if you dont mind?
Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program. Google it, if you have a family you can get like $500/month to help you live while in med school, there is a limit and some other caveats, but it's amazing.

Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program. Google it, if you have a family you can get like $500/month to help you live while in med school, there is a limit and some other caveats, but it's amazing.

I appreciate the info, seems helpful especially if you dont have health insurance.

I appreciate the info, seems helpful especially if you dont have health insurance.
Again, if you're single it's not going to apply unfortunately. If you happen to be married with kids though, you can also get on medicaid very easily. You get plenty in loans if you're a single student though, I believe you get about $13k per semester to live on. It's more than enough for basic needs including health insurance.

Anyone active in fitness? Where do most people work out and is there any place nearby that has Olympic lifting equipment like bumper plates, jerk blocks, etc?

Anyone active in fitness? Where do most people work out and is there any place nearby that has Olympic lifting equipment like bumper plates, jerk blocks, etc?

The gym on campus is small, but it gets the job done. Typical freeweights up to 100lbs, a set of bumper plates, squat rack, some nautilus machines, treadmills, ellipticals, bikes etc. If you want a bigger gym there are 2 in Middlesboro - and by bigger I mean they're like a mom/pop small gym.

Hey guys, random question here. How likely would it be for someone to be accepted to the masters program here with a 488 MCAT and around a 3.2 GPA? These are not my stats. I'm just asking for a friend. Thanks!

Hey guys, random question here. How likely would it be for someone to be accepted to the masters program here with a 488 MCAT and around a 3.2 GPA? These are not my stats. I'm just asking for a friend. Thanks!

That depends on which Masters. Stats will likely be fine for the Biomed masters, but is on the borderline for Anatomical.

I personally feel like the MCAT might be a little low even for biomed since their requirement is a 492 for both programs

The MCAT is low, but I'm pretty certain there's no MCAT requirement for the MS programs, unless something changed this year. The 492 is just an example of the score of a "typical" applicant. Your friend will need to retake the MCAT eventually, though. GPA should be fine. I'd say your friend has a chance. There's more to an application than those two stats. Have him/her contact Holly Napier and your friend will get a straight answer.

img.php
img.php

http://img216.imagevenue.com/img.ph...58_10208076656847654_83606930_o_122_147lo.jpg
http://img240.imagevenue.com/img.ph...3_10208076656207638_1124276848_o_122_56lo.jpg

Pics of the gym. It's smaller than it looks and during peak hours the weight section can get pretty crowded, but it's pretty nice and gets the job done. My only complaint is the handful of guys who go in there with the mindset that the louder you drop the weight and abuse the equipment the more muscle you'll build.

*Edit - dunno what happened with the pics, just posting links

i was told that the director is out on vacation until next week, we won't hear any waitlist movement this week. also the class is full right now, but they said people may drop any time and the waitlist goes as far as 1st day of school

i was told that the director is out on vacation until next week, we won't hear any waitlist movement this week. also the class is full right now, but they said people may drop any time and the waitlist goes as far as 1st day of school
Anyone know if any masters students have made it off the waitlist since Neuro ended?

Anyone know if any masters students have made it off the waitlist since Neuro ended?
I haven't heard of anything. I'm hoping MS students get some movement next week when Janette gets back. I think Holly sent to all of our Spring grades, so they should have all the info they need.

If your friends MCAT is a 488, they really need to study for it and retake it. The masters program is not a replacement for a poor MCAT score. Even though there are people in my class with low 20s (that were masters students) a lot of people did not get in with poor scores in that range even with the masters.
Its a much better investment to take a couple months to study MCAT, do well, then go to med school then to get a masters in anatomy or whatever else they offer here (pushing 30k tuition + more with living expenses). Make wise financial decisions. For most people the master's program is not a good choice, unless you have a decent MCAT and a poor UG GPA. the MCAT is not that bad of a test if you put the time into it. I was a non trad CS major, studied a few months and broke 90th%, DCOM only requires like 50%th, so he/she should be fine.

Don't waste 30k on the masters, it doesn't help people out really in med school, just adds to your student loan debt and the schools pockets.

Even if you get a 4.0 in _____ masters they wont take you with a 488, nor should they.

If your friends MCAT is a 488, they really need to study for it and retake it. The masters program is not a replacement for a poor MCAT score. Even though there are people in my class with low 20s (that were masters students) a lot of people did not get in with poor scores in that range even with the masters.
Its a much better investment to take a couple months to study MCAT, do well, then go to med school then to get a masters in anatomy or whatever else they offer here (pushing 30k tuition + more with living expenses). Make wise financial decisions. For most people the master's program is not a good choice, unless you have a decent MCAT and a poor UG GPA. the MCAT is not that bad of a test if you put the time into it. I was a non trad CS major, studied a few months and broke 90th%, DCOM only requires like 50%th, so he/she should be fine.

Don't waste 30k on the masters, it doesn't help people out really in med school, just adds to your student loan debt and the schools pockets.

Even if you get a 4.0 in _____ masters they wont take you with a 488, nor should they.
I agree with this, with a 488 MCAT they need to go back and focus on the basics before thinking about an MS. It's a pretty big investment without much application in the job market if they don't get into medical school.

100% agree on the retaking the MCAT even if they get into the Masters. The lowest MCAT I've seen accepted was low 20s on the old scale, and usually they're special circumstances. I'd have to disagree on the masters not being of any help though - Master students have a huge advantage over traditional 1st years in regards to time. I think the current Masters aren't allowed to take Histology anymore, but getting anatomy and neuro out of the way for Fall and Spring is big. Especially with getting neuro out of the way. It lets you spend the extra time on learning the pharm which very high yield for boards and essential for 2nd year Path. Yes - you are out a good amount of money, likely closer to $46k overall if you take the full loans - but if you use the free time during the Master year and during MS-1 to put into research, it'll be something that a lot of traditional MS-1s won't be able to do.