Lifestyle of endocrinologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a future IM resident, i'd like to get a discussion going on the lifestyle/compensation/job market of endocrinologists. I really enjoy the field but keep hearing about low compensation, making less than a general internist, and with the 200k+ loans I have this is really scary. How is the job market now and in the foreseeable future? Are endos taking cuts like many of the subspecialties? How is life like in private practice? I'm curious to hear all of your thoughts about this...:)

Members don't see this ad.

do a search, i hate these kind of questions, do it because you like it.

All of the searches were from years ago...

Anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
This just came up on the non-trad forum and it was said that endo is high demand, and makes decent $$$, just the opinions from the non-trads... don't really have anything to back it up other than calling my friends who are FP...

My cousin is an endo and I spoke to him about lifestyle and compensation. He is in a solo practice in Atlanta metro area. According to him, if you work hard in the south and have an established practice, you will break 500k. He said 300-400k was pretty much average for Endos in his area in private practice. He wanted to do cardiology out of his residency but couldnt get in, he says in retrospect, endo worked even better for him since the call is real chill. He is 8 years out though, works 8-5, weekends off, but takes call on every weekend. According to him he is rarely ever paged when on call.

I don't know if this is the norm, and therefore would like more opinions from fellows and attendings.

Reactions: 1 users
Curious about this as well. I enjoy endocrinology and the associated conditions, but one of the fears is compensation after taking large loans

I'm graduating fellowship and was job hunting in the summer. Location makes a huge difference. For instance, jobs I saw in the L.A. area are low $200k at best. Nationally, starting salaries around $220-230k seems fairly typical but you can easily get $250k+ in the midwest and South. You have to be a little wary about jobs advertising bigger salaries because you should question either the location, work environment, or patient workload. I went with a $230k job on the west coast with minimal-to-nonexistent inpatient work, 4.5 day workweek, and reasonable patient workload expectations (don't think I'll be seeing more than 14 patients per day until after my first year as I build up my practice).

Senior partners in private practice are probably the ones pulling $300k+ so that kind of money is do-able but you do have to take on the risk of private practice. I decided I wanted to start off with employed position first and then maybe think about private practice as I get more experience.

Overall, no you're not going to be making GI or cards money but considering how low-stress and lifestyle friendly endocrinology is, I'm much happier making that trade-off

Reactions: 6 users